Mass Storage Issue

cutlassracer

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Last night all was well when hooking the EVO to the laptop and downloading mp3's. This morning, I plugged my wifes Shift in and now my EVO and the laptop won't talk to each other. Can not access card in phone when plugged in so the phone knows its plugged in. The device manager showes HTC android device under drives or storage can't remember, but the laptop knows it's plugged in. The Shift works flawless when plugging in. You get a pop up for E drive with the shift, but not the EVO. Reformatted card, reset phone, laptop. Any ideas? We just got these phones friday night so new to these phones. EVO's jealous?

cutlassracer

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
yep, and i select hard drive, or whatever it is for the sd card. not charge tether or sync. After that, where as the shift goes right to a pop up asking what I want to do with that device, all the EVO gets is the funny noise from the computer. Like a pop up blocker or something. But pop up blockers are I-net, not hard drive blockers. I've got the card in the laptop now and the laptop is fine wiith it, just not the phone.

Last edited:

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Maybe when you loaded the mp3's it didnt remount properly when unplugged? I had that happen more than once. I unmounted and remounted the card through the settings nenu and it went back to normal. Just a thought.

Reactions: cutlassracer

cutlassracer

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
EVO was bought Friday night. Only thing that has been added is a couple of free games. Only apps are what it came with. I loaded music to it through the USB fine Sat. night. It all worked fine until I plugged the Shift in Sunday morning. The shift still works as advertised when doing this. I pulled the card out of me EVO put it in an adaptor loaded music and put it back in. That method worked fine. The EVO worked fine......until I plugged the Shift in an loaded some music to it. As far as laptop or EVO, I have no idea. Since it labels the Shift as E drive, but doesn't do that for the EVO, I tend to think it's the EVO, or is there a default in the laptop thats not right? I did download and reinstall the HTC sync drivers (when trying to fix this mess).

I'm not a tech guy, just an aircraft mech, so not the brighteset in the world when it comes to this stuff.

I'm still convinced the EVO is a diva and is just mad that the Toshiba for whoring itself out to the Shift so easily.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
my Evo has this problem as well.

in the past, i've resolved it by turning the phone off, removing the battery, reinstalling the battery & powering the phone back on--and reconnecting to the computer

that worked UNTIL i realized my laptop USB Port wasn't recognizing my phone. i switched to the other USB port and it recognized it within three seconds.

if you're plugging in to a USB port that is frequently used, be sure it's not the port. i make a mental note now whenever i am connecting my phone to the computer.

Reactions: cutlassracer

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
EVO was bought Friday night. Only thing that has been added is a couple of free games. Only apps are what it came with. I loaded music to it through the USB fine Sat. night. It all worked fine until I plugged the Shift in Sunday morning. The shift still works as advertised when doing this. I pulled the card out of me EVO put it in an adaptor loaded music and put it back in. That method worked fine. The EVO worked fine......until I plugged the Shift in an loaded some music to it. As far as laptop or EVO, I have no idea. Since it labels the Shift as E drive, but doesn't do that for the EVO, I tend to think it's the EVO, or is there a default in the laptop thats not right? I did download and reinstall the HTC sync drivers (when trying to fix this mess).

I'm not a tech guy, just an aircraft mech, so not the brighteset in the world when it comes to this stuff.

I'm still convinced the EVO is a diva and is just mad that the Toshiba for whoring itself out to the Shift so easily.

You said the EVO had any apps, but what about the SHIFT. Did you install any music apps like winamp or doubletwist. Because those sometimes do an automatic sync when you plug them in, and may be getting confused when the evo goes in.

cutlassracer

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
AHA! Computer dumped the EVO drivers, and wouldn't reinstall until I tried USB tethering, to see if it worked. It installed all the drivers again and now works again. Thanks for the help.

CansFan

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have something similar happen at work all the time. I have to go into device management and disable the port the Evo is plugged into and then just enable it right away. After doing this I can see the files on my SD card.

Before it would recognize the phone as being plugged in and you can see the created drive but when I clicked on it I wouldn't have access.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have even seen some computers get persnickety depending on if multiple thumb drives are connected at the same time. Even though, USB is a "Universal Serial Bus" Windows still assigns the drive letter (and remembers it) by the Device ID.

I would suggest connecting the Shift to the computer, then go into the device manager and tell it to use another drive letter (like "S" or something). Then you can connect both of them without issue.

I know this seems like a roundabout way, but I would be pretty sure that this is a Windows issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084