New guy with some questions

Hemipwr07

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, new to the forum. Had my Evo about 2 months now (still stock) and Im lovin it! Never wanna switch, just mod lol. Tried to do a little searching but couldnt find an answer to some questions I got.

1) When I add a new contact, that I am also friends with on facebook, I cant sync the new contact to their facebook account and cant figure out why? I have all my other contacts (that Im friends with on fb) linked with at least their picture. But just recently this stopped. I click on fb and search my friends list and their name doenst come up. Is there a profile update or refresh or something?

2) Those of you with handcent: Is is sluggish for you? Mine seems to be slow transitioning back to home. Also it will not update my FB profile picture after I change it, idk how to update it or whatever I need to do.

3) Are there any apps to change the look of the main screen and others without rooting? Ive seen people talk about LauncherPro, but do you need to be rooted for that?

Lastly, Ive read about others having this problem as well but my weather wont update by itself. Using the stock weather app with the big clock on the main screen, it says the correct city, but not the weather. Still a Sprint network issue or could that be a 3g issue in my area? (college station, texas)

Thanks guys, sorry for the length. Feel free to send me to a link or something on any of my questions if I just wasnt looking hard enough :cool:

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
2. Sometimes typing is sluggish on handcent. Other than that it's fast.

3. I have LauncherPro plus. It's much faster than sense. It moves between screens faster and without stuttering. There are cool transitions too between screens and when you open and close apps. Also, you can view your phone in landscape. You do lose the ability to use sense widgets like email sms people but LauncherPro plus has their own widgets that are similar and some better (imo) than sense, like their LauncherPros people and calendar widgets.

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
1) I think I'm about the only person left on Earth that does NOT use Facebook, but it should be a matter of linking your your phone contact with your facebook's contact. Go to your 'people' app, press menu...view... there should be several check boxes that allow you to filter to just the facebook contacts. Confirm that your desired person is indeed on that list. Change the view to your entire address book again (rechecking the google/phone contact box). Open the desired person's contact card, and click on the link icon in the upper right. It should open up a new screen that allows you to select what contact to link it to... select their facebook contact, and they should merge/link. At the very least, their picture should come over.

2) Handcent seems to have some scaling issues for some people. When there is some random number of messages (varies depending on who you ask) it just starts slowing down for some people. I've worked around it by having only a few hundred stored at one time. Handcent doesn't have that option that I can recall offhand, but you can manage the number of messages kept in the default messenger application, deletion there deletes from handcent as well. If you are a 'I have to have that 'omg lol @ u' message from last week, there are several apps that can archive and store your messages for retrieval later. (e.g. backup pro)

3) Agree with @endroid54, Launcher pro is nice and definitely worth a shot. However, don't dismiss sense offhand, it has some nice touches. :)

Lastly) The weather widget is just finicky... There are workarounds to refresh manually and/or use others (e.g. beautiful widgets) but if you are staying with it, you just have to learn to live with it. There is usually a moment where I blink because it's 10pm at night and mine says '70 and sunny' (with the sun showing instead of the moon), but just something i've come to terms with. ;)

Bonus: Appbrain is your friend. It lets you view things (like reviews, problems, some dev notes on if it requires root, etc.) on your desktop and then you can just sync them up with your phone. Really helps you find more information than they give you in the market description.