Unable to update apps on SD Card (Evo 4g)

prtzf

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am no longer able to update apps that I have moved to the SD card on my Evo 4g, although I can move apps to and from the SD card w/o any problems. Moreover, I have no problem w/ updating apps that are not on the SD card. Deleting an app from the SD card, reinstalling it (and moving it to the SD card) is also not a problem.

I browsed the archives but there's doesn't seem to be a thread quite on point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

prtzf

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I got the same error message. Do you have the Circle Launcher app on your phone? Have you come across a useful thread in the archives?

Regards,
Abhin

Ironcladz

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I just started having this problem. Anyone ever have a fix for this? It's tedious to move apps back and forth from the SD card. I tried removing the SD card using the phone and then reinserting it, but still have the same issue.

Will try swapping out my 16GB card for the original card that came with the phone and see if that clears it up.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had this happen before. Not sure what triggers it, but it sucks. Here is what I did that fixed my problem.
If you can, move all your SD card apps back on your phone. If it won't let you do that and your apps are showing up as the generic Android icon, you have to uninstall and reinstall them. If you get them moved over, you have to delete the .android_secure folder on the SD card. Once that's done, Android will recreate that file and when you move your apps back over to the SD card, they should be updatable.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So if you can't get all your apps over to the main memory do you just have to uninstall the excess?

Not really sure if there's a way around that. It seems like something gets corrupt on the SD card and that's the only way to flush it back to happiness. So, unless someone has a phenomenally easier solution, yeah.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Not really sure if there's a way around that. It seems like something gets corrupt on the SD card and that's the only way to flush it back to happiness. So, unless someone has a phenomenally easier solution, yeah.

Well that is annoying. I have been debating rooting for a while, maybe I will just do a clean sweep of my phone and get things reinstalled.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just uninstall the app that needs to be updated and then reinstall it. Then I move it back to the SD card. Annoying but it works

HeyGonzo1

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi - I can't seem to delete the file from the memory card. I downloaded astro file manager to help me do this...but still couldn't. Thanks.

biggamer3

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i have this same issue but when the SD card is in, i cant even download any apps at all, whenever i pull the sd card i can download apps again, wtf is going on

evo4gMN

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue and located this fix and it works. Here was the website: Fixing The "Couldn’t Install On USB Storage Or SD Card" Problem On Android | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Also, I had to do it while I connected to my PC via USB. The file explorer program on my phone could not locate it. Here is a cut and paste of the article from the website above (Hope this helps):

Today, for the first time ever, my EVO 4G had an unexpected failure installing updates for some of my Android apps. All update attempts would inevitably end in an almost instant failure with the message that read:

Installation error

Couldn?t install on USB storage or SD card

The weird part was that some apps installed OK but some got stuck in a perma-fail mode and could no longer be updated. After mucking around for a bit, I dug into the logs and found the following relevant log line:

Failed to create secure container smdl2tmp1

Aha! Now what the heck is smdl2tmp1?

After digging around the Internet some more, I found that the problem is caused by a temporary file called smdl2tmp1.asec that is used during some installations (I think of apps that are movable to SD) but does not get deleted for some reason, most notably when you run out of space. Because of this, the system can?t create it and treats it as an error, rather than figuring out that it?s stale and simply deleting it.

The solution? Go and delete smdl2tmp1.asec yourself. From what I can tell, it could reside in 2 locations:
1./sdcard/.android_secure ? this is an invisible folder on your SD card, which you can access with any file manager, like ASTRO
2./mnt/secure/asec/ ? access to this folder requires root and a program like Root Explorer

Look for smdl2tmp1.asec in these folders and delete any ones you see. Deleting it seems to be a safe enough operation ? it?s just a temporary file after all. Once you?ve done that, all the update problems should go away:

Reactions: johngereau

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta