Frustration With Andriod

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nice find... I agree with the article - especially this part - Quote: According to Google's data as of early February only 0.8 percent of Android devices were running Android 2.3, and just 57.6 percent had the previous 2.2 build, which was introduced back in June.Quote ends. That's pretty pathetic. (HTC need to step up to the plate - customers get tired of waiting for things and will certainly move on to the next best thing.)

Last edited:

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I guess this is why I root I love the fact that it's Open Sourced I love being able to customize my phone to my liking and not what someone else thinks I may like or need. I guess it depends on the person.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess this is why I root I love the fact that it's Open Sourced I love being able to customize my phone to my liking and not what someone else thinks I may like or need. I guess it depends on the person.

I couldn't have said it better.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
ugh. getting tired of these articles.

Do people realize Apple has 1 line of phones and can support them all easily? Palm has the same strategy. Android is a different beast. If you dont like it, buy an iPhone (and become a b0rg).

With Android, and an HTC phone for an example, at least you have an option to do what you want with the OS and phone!

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue comes down to phone manufactures not being open about pushing the new Andriod updates . Dont think keeping users dark about new updates is a good thing.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I stopped reading after he said he can't figure out how to answer a Samsung phone. If you can't figure that out maybe cell phones all together aren't for you!

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Really??? He's trying to make a point to about the average consumer, I'm sure the analyst of PC Mag knows how to answer the phone, even with TouchWiz. Sadly though, he's right, Android fragmentation is turning out to be a big issue.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This is why I've have my Android 2 weeks and I'm already done with that sh!t. I'm running 2.3 Gingerbread on my EVO (WE LOVE YOU CYANOGEN!) everyday and while its not "Done" it's pretty damned close to done and should be within a week or 2(with regards to getting the last 2 things working, HDMI and WIMAX). Since i dont live in a 4g market and don't own an HDMI TV it works great for me, and i don't have to wait on the update to 2.3 for the EVO with Sense in it to come out(if it ever does). There are those in the ROOT/ROMS world who are still on 2.2 but that's by CHOICE because they want the HDMI/WiMAX. For me, I'd rather have Gingerbread than 2 features I dont or can't use. In truth if android phones ALL ran ASOP and there was no Sense or Blur we'd all be on 2.3 right now unless the phone we had simply didnt have the hardware for it.

But the sad part of it is, Rooting and Flashing ROMS and Kernals is not ever going to be a solution to this problem. Most people aren't as geeky as me(or any of you who are reading this). Most people don't even know what Android is and it's on their phone. They will not get any updates unless it's pushed out over air directly to their phone and won't let them sext their boyfriends anymore unless they install it. This guy has something of a valid point but I think he just had a bad morning and is over-reacting because honestly, probably less than 1% of Android users even know what version they have to begin with, and wouldn't know the difference between Sense, Blur and Windows mobile if their life depended on it.

With regards to fixing this: You Can't. I said years ago, Android is an open sourced software. If you let the OEMs **** with it, they sure as hell will and rarely for the better! There will always be severe fragmentation in the Android world(See: Linux). There will always be more than one "flavor" of it and wishing won't change that. Its less of a problem in handsets to be sure, but it's not going anywhere. It's human nature, unavoidable, and unfortunate for the tiny percentage of us who really care to begin with. For everyone else, they will never care anyway.

Last edited:

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
This is why I've have my Android 2 weeks and I'm already done with that sh!t. I'm running 2.3 Gingerbread on my EVO (WE LOVE YOU CYANOGEN!) everyday and while its not "Done" it's pretty damned close to done and should be within a week or 2(with regards to getting the last 2 things working, HDMI and WIMAX). Since i dont live in a 4g market and don't own an HDMI TV it works great for me, and i don't have to wait on the update to 2.3 for the EVO with Sense in it to come out(if it ever does). There are those in the ROOT/ROMS world who are still on 2.2 but that's by CHOICE because they want the HDMI/WiMAX. For me, I'd rather have Gingerbread than 2 features I dont or can't use. In truth if android phones ALL ran ASOP and there was no Sense or Blur we'd all be on 2.3 right now unless the phone we had simply didnt have the hardware for it.

But the sad part of it is, Rooting and Flashing ROMS and Kernals is not ever going to be a solution to this problem. Most people aren't as geeky as me(or any of you who are reading this). Most people don't even know what Android is and it's on their phone. They will not get any updates unless it's pushed out over air directly to their phone and won't let them sext their boyfriends anymore unless they install it. This guy has something of a valid point but I think he just had a bad morning and is over-reacting because honestly, probably less than 1% of Android users even know what version they have to begin with, and wouldn't know the difference between Sense, Blur and Windows mobile if their life depended on it.

With regards to fixing this: You Can't. I said years ago, Android is an open sourced software. If you let the OEMs **** with it, they sure as hell will and rarely for the better! There will always be severe fragmentation in the Android world(See: Linux). There will always be more than one "flavor" of it and wishing won't change that. Its less of a problem in handsets to be sure, but it's not going anywhere. It's human nature, unavoidable, and unfortunate for the tiny percentage of us who really care to begin with. For everyone else, they will never care anyway.

You are one of the shinking population of iphony users stuck in a rutt. When you are finish chasing your tail come back and we will welcome you in open arms. For now I understand Android isn't for you.

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think this is much ado about nothing. I'm sure most android users don't know or care what version or skin their phone is running as long as it does what they want it to when they want it to. Pick 10 random people off the street and ask them about eclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, sense, motoblur, touchwiz, vanilla android, etc and 9 of them will probably look at u like you're speaking another language. The only people that care are people who frequent sites like this one. And although hardcore technology lovers account for probably 98.5% of sites like android central they're probably only 5-10% of total cellphone users. I think people who write these kinds of stories fail to realize they're in the minority.

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
ugh. getting tired of these articles.

Do people realize Apple has 1 line of phones and can support them all easily? Palm has the same strategy. Android is a different beast. If you dont like it, buy an iPhone (and become a b0rg).

With Android, and an HTC phone for an example, at least you have an option to do what you want with the OS and phone!

I totally agree with this, admittedly I haven't had my Android device that long but I almost don't care if it never sees an update. It does everything I want it to already. I had a pre forever and it saw updates all the time and it NEVER did what I wanted it to. I could go get an iPhone and it would see updates but at the end of the day I would be locked into having icrap on my computer, no flash, etc etc. No update is going to bring flash to iPhone because Steve Jobs said so. That's Pathetic.

The people that actually care or even know what an update is are the people that are more likely to flash their device, or at least I would think so. My mom, if she had an Android, or my wife would never flash their device...hell..they wouldn't care if it never saw an update.

I'm sure if I wasn't using a 2.2 device I would care more but honestly I would only want it so it would have flash...even if I never use it I just want the option to.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think this is much ado about nothing. I'm sure most android users don't know or care what version or skin their phone is running as long as it does what they want it to when they want it to. Pick 10 random people off the street and ask them about eclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, sense, motoblur, touchwiz, vanilla android, etc and 9 of them will probably look at u like you're speaking another language. The only people that care are people who frequent sites like this one. And although hardcore technology lovers account for probably 98.5% of sites like android central they're probably only 5-10% of total cellphone users. I think people who write these kinds of stories fail to realize they're in the minority.

Quite right. The majority of users care about:

Basic phone functionality
email access
Instant messaging
Twitter access
Facebook access
Internet access
Take pictures & video
Play music
Play Angry Birds

Heck, I'm a s/w engineer with 40 yrs experience and I really don't care that I'm only running 2.2 with stock Sense on my EVO. I rooted my Pre to death but I'm happy with what I have on the EVO and I'd guess that the majority of users out there are too.

Dave

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You are one of the shinking population of iphony users stuck in a rutt. When you are finish chasing your tail come back and we will welcome you in open arms. For now I understand Android isn't for you.

Did you even read my post? I love Android. I left iPhone 2 weeks ago to get my EVO and I don't regret it. I have no idea how you can read my entire post then come to such an erroneous conclusion. My point is that Android OS fragmentation sucks for the few of us users who care about such things, but that 99% of android users don't even know this "problem" exists and wouldn't care if you told them about it. So the article is a little absurd in that he seems to imply that this will destroy the future of Android.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Did you even read my post? I love Android. I left iPhone 2 weeks ago to get my EVO and I don't regret it. I have no idea how you can read my entire post then come to such an erroneous conclusion. My point is that Android OS fragmentation sucks for the few of us users who care about such things, but that 99% of android users don't even know this "problem" exists and wouldn't care if you told them about it. So the article is a little absurd in that he seems to imply that this will destroy the future of Android.

These articles mean nothing. Why even post?

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't agree with that article at all. HP's line of devices is very small and easily manageable, not to mention the fact that the os very old and had very few updates, except for the latest which comes from the fact that HP bought Palm. Apple has a lot of different iphones but are all basically the same, running the same os, that gets updated, but not at an extremely fast rate, and with the updates they do receive, very few have major changes. Microsoft is in the newborn state when it comes to their new WP7 line, and when they tried to push out an update, samsung phones across the country starting getting bricked when they had errors...At least with android, google puts out updates regularly and with the exception of samsung taking their time, most of those updates don't take too long to reach the end user, even if they are held up from the phone manufacture/carrier. Just because a majority of the phones out aren't running froyo or gingerbread doesn't mean they aren't usefull. I'd bet a fair amount of android owners aren't tech saavy and don't care if their device revceives an update to a new os version monthly. I don't understand why people complain so much when their os is waaaaay more capable than most others. And this is coming from a previous blackberry owner who rarely received updates. Comparing RIM and Google in terms of rapid updates, Google wins every time. Just sit back and enjoy what you've got because it could always be worse. And you could always switch to another phone if you're not happy with what you have.

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this but I consider myself a nerd lol. Im afraid that when I get the EVO two whenever that comes Im never going to get Ice Cream bc us EVO owners will never get gingerbread or honeycomb.