Can't get video to output via HDMI

ttwiv

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Using the new Evo Dock that supports both the USB and HDMI connectors, I connected my Evo to my TV's HMDI input. I did not have to use a microHDMI cable because the dock has the micro connection that the Evo sits in, and a regular HDMI connection at back of dock that you use a regular HDMI with to connect to TV.

I connected it to HDMI 3, turned on the TV, switched to HDMI 3, and played the Apple keynote podcast with no initial issues. I watched about 20 minutes of it. Then I pressed the power/sleep button the Evo, which put it into sleep, and stopped video playback. I immediately pressed it again to wake it, then unlocked the screen with down swipe -- and it would then only play on the Evo -- would not go to the HDMI output. I tried many things, including shutting down the phone, turning off the TV, unplugging, replugging in HDMI cable. I could no longer get it to output via HDMI. I also tried a different TV. I've seen posts that say to start with TV off, which I tried - still didn't work. I also tried switching display settings in Evo among "automatic", 720p and 480p. My TVs all auto detect resolution.

The fact that this initially worked fine, then quit working after I pressed the sleep button implies the problem isn't with the TV nor the cable nor the video format of what I am playing. I tried playing some other video podcasts as well -- just can't get it to output to HDMI. I find no settings that allow me to force output to HDMI-out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Tom

Last edited:

ttwiv

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
all fixed I think

I think I solved the issue by taking the battery out and then back in. I had it out for a good 20 minutes because I was on the landline with tech support. The only reason I took it out was to get the model numbers as HTC's tech support recording tells you to do when you are on hold. HTC was not helpful. They said it is probably the cable and transferred me to the parts warrantee dept to get a replacement HDMI cable, but after 50 minutes on hold, that department told me they do not warrant the HTC accessories, only the phone and items that came with the phone (and the dock/cable did not come with the phone, I paid their overpriced price for that).

However after removing the battery and putting it back in, the HDMI out started working again. As stated in my original post I had already tried turning off the phone and turning it back on. I did not try the hard reset (power-volume down button) as I've gotten conflicting info on that -- some say it clears everything except SD card data -- thus need to re-download and reconfigure all apps afterward -- others say it does not.

At any rate -- those of you who have had the same issue, try taking your battery out for a few minutes. Please report results in this thread. Not sure if that is what fixed it for me, or just time fixed it.

Thanks, Tom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herb Tarlek

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
However after removing the battery and putting it back in, the HDMI out started working again. As stated in my original post I had already tried turning off the phone and turning it back on. I did not try the hard reset (power-volume down button) as I've gotten conflicting info on that -- some say it clears everything except SD card data -- thus need to re-download and reconfigure all apps afterward -- others say it does not.
Thanks for the Tip.

ttwiv

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
one other small issue

One other thing -- after I got it working again by removing battery then putting it back it, I later had a different issue. The "HDMI" indicator was properly displayed in the notification bar showing it was connected, but it would intermittently display on the TV then back to the phone. To fix this I changed the display resolution on the phone from "automatic" to 720p: menu, settings, display, display Resolution, 720P radio button. I think this was an issue specifically related to my TV not working with the "automatic" mode on the Evo's output resolution.

-Tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton