To return or not return, this is my question...

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
OK, so I did some checking around this forum and found a few OLD threads on in-call speaker issues specifically for the EVO, not the external speaker but the earpiece one. I didn't want to bump up and old thread so I hope it's Ok I started a new one. The thread didn't have too many of you complaining so I want to do another test.
How many of you are having the speaker sound like it vibrates when you talk to some people, not all people on your EVO? I'm about 1 and half weeks into ownership and was hoping it was a "conditioning" thing but it still happens on most calls. It's simply annoying. Here's my dillema, I LOVE everything else about this phone. It's snappy, the screen is awesome (no light leakage that I can see) and it's vibrant bla bla bla.... if I exchange it and get a dud I'm gonna be miffed.... But if I know the sound will improve I'll go for it.
Any of you exchange and get duds? Did the speaker still sound bad? Or was it a happy ending.... I'm obsessive about this I know but I just don't want to have my 30 day period run out and be stuck with this. You know Sprint only gives out refurbs with the insurance.... :'(

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest taking it back and get a different one. I'm just as picky as you when things are off with my phone. Since you're still within your 30 days trial period you would get a brand new one, or have the problem resolve.

Who knows - it might just be something loose.

Best of luck.

mck2018

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I had my original evo from launch day until about a month ago when I had it replaced due to a loose charging port. Over the 9 months that I had it, I had to get the ear piece replaced 3 times due to the poor, rattling, sounds like it's blown speaker issues. When I received my refurbished phone a month ago a was astonished that a day later I was experiencing the same issue on a different phone and I am currently waiting till I get the time to take my phone to the sprint store to be repaired. It is to the point where I have a hard time understanding the person on the other end and it's pissing me off.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is going to be any help at all but I havent experienced your particular problem,,,,mostly because I use a bluetooth and when I do use the phone without one havent had a problem with the sound quality or earpiece...and had my eVo since June 4th. With that said You do take a chance when u exchange the phone....see if they can fix the annoying part.....

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I do not have that issue. sounds great..

i think it will not get better... if there is a physical issue with the internal speaker... that does not get better.

i know they can replace the back speaker.. not sure of the internal speaker. maybe they can. and you can keep the same phone. go ask a sprint repair center.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
launch day Evo, no speaker issues, keep it about 75-80 percent max volume. both speakers are relatively easy to replace but if its within 30 days i would get the whole device replaced.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
she says .. she loves this particular phone and does not want to risk getting a replacement that is a "dud". she likes her current LCD screen and quality.

so .. just get the speaker replaced.

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys... is there a charge to get it repaired? I've read somewhere they charge $35 or something. The speaker problem seems pretty hit or miss on devices which is why I was considering just replacing it altogether. I'm not much of a risk taker though, lol. Honestly I didn't even know they could replace just the ear speaker like that, I assumed they would just give me a refurb phone. Thanks for the advice.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
does not matter where you got the phone.... sprint gives you 30days...

you can take it to best buy for the repair or sprint repair center.

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
OMG Klubhead... that worked. I turned it down just 1 notch and viola. No vibration or scratchy noise. Now my only problem is I'm deaf. Not really but people say I am, LOL. Too much hard rock in the 80's I guess. That's why my volume is always up to the highest level. In the car is the only place I really need it up full volume and technically I should be using Bluetooth anyway in the car. Thanks everyone for all your help, I will just let it ride at this point with the volume down lower and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12