App Info: Clearing Cache vs. Data

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know the difference between clearing app data versus cache from the Application Information screen?

I mean.... I get that one is the memory needed when the app loads info it needs in the near future to stop it having to download the same info everytime you open the app. Is that cache or data?

I'm down to 70 megs of internal memory, I've done the whole app2sd thing already, but a few of my apps have bloated cache or data. Twitter and Facebook are particular offenders. I'm trying to decide which is best to clear.

One thing disappointing about the Evo is its lack of internal storage. Can't wait for it to be rectified on the Evo 2!

chappo2000

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Clearing Cache deletes the cached files the app has stored on your phone. This is useful for freeing up some storage space. Cache files are temporary files that are used to speed up your phone. For example, the Browser will store copies of webpages you visit, and only download them again if they've changed. If they've not changed then it will load the copy that is stored in the cache. Loading from flash memory is much faster than downloading them again. Similarly, the Market app will cache the icons for all apps you scroll past, as loading them back off the phone's internal storage is faster than downloading them again over the internet. So, it's always safe to clear a cache, you free up some space at the expense of the app being a little slower next time you use it. The cache will slowly refill of course.

Clearing Data is used to clear all the data the app has stored. These include things like settings, usernames, passwords, high scores, etc. It effectively restores the app back to the state it was in when you first installed it.

Reactions: reagan247

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Cyber Warrior, I have had the same question for a little while now. My Hero would get cluttered pretty quick. So basicly clearing data doesn't really help get memory back on phone...

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cyber Warrior, I have had the same question for a little while now. My Hero would get cluttered pretty quick. So basicly clearing data doesn't really help get memory back on phone...

Both will free up space... clearing the cache will slow down the app or browser (temporarily) as it starts to search for any info it needs to load up again but clearing the data will restore the app or browser to the point of it just being freshly installed. Example.... if you play a game and beat 10 levels... the app stores the data. Wipe the data and all the info is gone.... you're back to level 1.

As for your question... clearing the data will put memory back on your phone.... but at the expense of anything that was saved or set-up for the app... settings, searches, favorite locations, preferences, customization..etc.... all gone. If you don't need to have the app remember everything and want to start off fresh... then delete the data.

dalm0007

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my storage space and facebook is the culprit. My laptop broke so I use my phone to upload photos to facebook. Everytime I upload 5 photos my data increases by 2MB. I want to clear the data and get my storage space back but will that delete all the photos on Facebook I uploaded? Thanks for the help!

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my storage space and facebook is the culprit. My laptop broke so I use my phone to upload photos to facebook. Everytime I upload 5 photos my data increases by 2MB. I want to clear the data and get my storage space back but will that delete all the photos on Facebook I uploaded? Thanks for the help!

It won't delete them from facebook

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Shaun A

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi

My Mob. Phone is HTC Touch HD, on Android 2.3.5

Recently, the yahoo7 mail stopped working. It just keeps checking for mail…….
An error message came up “ Sorry! Application Yahoo7 Mail (in process com.yahoo.mobile.client.android mail) is not responding “

Someone suggested I should try clear Cache or Data:
1) I did clear cache. It did not solve my problem.
2) Should I clear data? Would it help? Will it delete the mails in Inbox, sent and other folders?

Please help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol