Sprint is screwing me around

suzuki4life

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Speaker is toast on my EVO so I followed posted advice and contacted Sprint for it to be replaced or repaired under warranty. Their two options: wait for a replacement (unknown time frame) or drive 1-1.5 hours away to have it "looked at" and possibly replaced on site by the "service center".

If it is a possibilty that it can be replaced if I drive an hour away. Obviously there must be replacements available. So why must I be placed on a list? Sprint has no response. To even get these options, I had to wait to be called back because the supervisor needed to "evaluate my claim". What does that mean? I am less than happy with Sprint right now. I want a working phone that was paid for in full 3 months ago.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
The difference is between Sprint's Large Warehouse supply, and the supply at the service center that is kept at certain levels to be able to service customers in the area. The Warehouse may be on back order, but the service center may have a few on hand for walk in repair requests.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You should just go get it fix. When it's all done - you won't even remember having this conversation.

Good luck.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just had to take my phone in to get the speaker replaced about a week ago at an authorized retailer that does repairs, it cost nothing as I have tep and it took 10 minutes. Take it to get fixed ...

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have already had this conversation, and I also felt that Sprint was screwing me around. My EVO developed a nasty habit of rebooting itself at random, and I mean REALLY randomly. The easiest way to duplicate it was to play Angry Birds. I wouldn't go more than 10 minutes before the phone rebooted itself. Other times it would happen while playing youtube videos, and a few times even happened when I opened the gallery app. I wiped/restored the phone numerous times and failed to load any apps at all to see if I can find a potential culprit. Oh and I'll mention that when it rebooted itself, it would do so a minimum of twice before finally letting me back into the homescreen.

I called Sprint on the issue, who told me to take it to a store to have a tech look at it. I took it to a store a total of 3 times, which of course was a waste of time. Why? Because it wouldn't ACT UP while AT the Sprint store. It's like taking your car to the mechanic...(I'm in the industry so I see this all the time). After the third time of not being able to duplicate the condition, I called customer care, who got all my information out to send me a replacement. After 3 days of no confirmation email or phone call, I called them back up to check the status of the replacement. I was then told they can't authorize a replacement...it has to be done by a Sprint store, so I'd need to take the phone back to them to diagnose the problem. I was even told that my other option would be to file an insurance claim, since I do have the TEP.

I'm not going to say WHAT I did to the phone, but an insurance replacement is now on its way (after being on backorder for the last 5 days) and will arrive tomorrow. I can honestly say I didn't mind forking out 100 bucks because I need a working device. But if this is what it's going to take to get a replacement in the future (should any further issues arise) then I don't see my relationship with Sprint lasting very long at all.

TheEngineer

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If there are none at the warehouse, we cannot send any. Evos are in very short supply. Even insurance replacements are taking over a week from Asurion. Quit yer *****in and get to the store. They can usually replace the speaker on the spot. Or call HTC as it is their phone and warranty, not Sprint's.

prdstm0nke

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
why don't you call the service center thats 1.5 hours away and see what they say? they'll be able to tell you if they have the part in stock to repair it, and whether or not they'll be able to swap your phone if they don't have the part.

problem solved.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am not with Sprint but the EVO is their #1 seller and so there is going to be an issue with replacements on hand. It has a low return rate just like the Incredible does on Verizon. I was let out of my BB by Retention and I had to wait a good month for the Incredible. They just aren't around to hand out as much as other devices. The demand is very high and the refurbs are very few.

If Sprint can repair the speaker on your device, it is worth the drive.
Just take the drive and relax.......get it fixed and you will be happy.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If that service center does any kind of business, they will have an EVO or Hero speaker in there somewhere. Speakers are pretty much blown or not blown. Even if they harvest one off a return unit, it's no difference to you. It works or doesn't.

Call 'em. Also see if there are any Preferred Retailer shops around the same distance. They are paid per transaction so they will probably be more than happy to spend 10 minutes swapping out your speaker.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Speaker is toast on my EVO so I followed posted advice and contacted Sprint for it to be replaced or repaired under warranty. Their two options: wait for a replacement (unknown time frame) or drive 1-1.5 hours away to have it "looked at" and possibly replaced on site by the "service center".

If it is a possibilty that it can be replaced if I drive an hour away. Obviously there must be replacements available. So why must I be placed on a list? Sprint has no response. To even get these options, I had to wait to be called back because the supervisor needed to "evaluate my claim". What does that mean? I am less than happy with Sprint right now. I want a working phone that was paid for in full 3 months ago.

Had mine replaced took about an hour.

suzuki4life

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I went locally to the sprint store and had them look at my phone. They confirmed that the external speaker is blown. Apparently our plan does not have full "TEP" (no clue what TEP is, I call it insurance) therefore the 1.5 hr trip would have also awarded me a bill for replacement through Sprint. I was routed to contact HTC and have them replace the phone through a warranty complaint. I appreciate the store somewhat educating me on the situation (since I still don't know what TEP is) however I am disappointed that Sprint would consider sending me on such a ride only to know it would have ended in me being even more upset with the situation than I currently am already.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I went locally to the sprint store and had them look at my phone. They confirmed that the external speaker is blown. Apparently our plan does not have full "TEP" (no clue what TEP is, I call it insurance) therefore the 1.5 hr trip would have also awarded me a bill for replacement through Sprint. I was routed to contact HTC and have them replace the phone through a warranty complaint. I appreciate the store somewhat educating me on the situation (since I still don't know what TEP is) however I am disappointed that Sprint would consider sending me on such a ride only to know it would have ended in me being even more upset with the situation than I currently am already.

TEP stands for Total Equipment Protection. But i agree, its called insurance

Maestro1#AC

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
TEP (total equipment protection) includes basically 2 items

Insurance (erp)
service and repair plan (esrp)

It is $7 per month for both or $4 per month each.

You should never have to use insurance (erp)where a deductible is paid, unless the phone is lost, stolen, liquid damage, or damage beyond repair(crushed).

That is one thing I cannot stand about Sprint, their retail employees are scum and always try to make you go through insurance for things that are covered in the manufactures warranty or service and repair plan.

I am not sure if sprint still covers 1 year manufacture warranty, they have been going back and fourth about this. But ESRP should cover any blown out speakers.

beret9987

May 14, 2010
Visit site
that's odd... My Sprint store went above and beyond and fixed my speaker for free when I happened to of accidentally dropping my phone into the sand at the beach! Warranty should cover your claim and sprint should be able to do said warranty work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Sprint stores are not all corporate stores. Many employees are not as well educated as people who are on forums like this. I think it is nice to find a store that has educated employees. I go to one store for any business with Sprint, and I wait for two employees, and don't want to talk with anyone else. Over time, I have figured out who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't. Nothing frustrates me more than to go to a Sprint store and be more knowledgeable about a product than the person who works there.

My mother recently switched to an EVO, and the guy in the store told her that she would get 4-5 days of use out of the EVO before charging. I had to convince her to plug it in every night. That stuff irritates me...

suzuki4life

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Update:

After three long calls, I made a return trip BACK to the original Sprint store which is now a Corporate store. An hour later I return with my exchanged EVO. I also grabbed a Sprint extended battery for $40. We'll see how this one lasts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira