Best video chat app?

tyrelian

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
My brother in law just got his evo and loves it. We chatted over qik and it was OK over 3g, any opinions on the vchat apps you use?

ibbeach0

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I cannot suggest any but have looked at a few of them. I cant use them because everyone I have as a contact is not up to speed with new phones.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I also use Tango. Updates have made it much better than Qik or Fring, in my opinion. Works great with my EVO and wife's EPIC.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
My wife now has an EVO also, and we tried QIK - why did one of us have full transmission, but the other one had to hold down a button to transmit the audio? That's messed up.

So we tried Fring - works really really well for the first 30 seconds - and then it always seems to report that the network is horrible and it disconnects. Wtf? We were both on my FIOS WiFi at home!

I have also used Yahoo to chat with a coworker once when we were both at our houses on WiFi networks - he was on an iPhone 4 and it worked absolutely flawlessly.

I'm open to trying others; maybe we'll try out Tango next.

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have been unsuccessful in finding one that works "cross platform" so to speak. Mine and my wife's family live in florida and it would be nice for my 5 year old to vid chat with nana and pop pop on occasion. Problem is, they are all on iphones and the wife and I are on Epic and EVO respectively.

How is yahoo? Easy to use? Can a 70 year old be walked through it over the phone? Lol. Sadly I'm serious. My in-laws call me at least once a day with email or pic saving issues...

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried using Qik with a friend and her phone wouldn't ring. I think that we are doing something wrong but it seems that the app on her phone isn't working properly.

UPDATE. I figured out that I needed to make my contacts friends first before I call. I also had my previous cell number attached to my account. All is good now.

Last edited:

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I have been unsuccessful in finding one that works "cross platform" so to speak. Mine and my wife's family live in florida and it would be nice for my 5 year old to vid chat with nana and pop pop on occasion. Problem is, they are all on iphones and the wife and I are on Epic and EVO respectively.

How is yahoo? Easy to use? Can a 70 year old be walked through it over the phone? Lol. Sadly I'm serious. My in-laws call me at least once a day with email or pic saving issues...

I know exactly what you're talking about - I used to train people on PC usage all the time. Are your parents going to be using the desktop version? It's pretty simple - you launch the app, sign in and it shows you a list of your contacts - you double-click the one you want to talk to and then click on the button that looks like a video camera. From the phone, it's about the same but phone-ified.

I think Yahoo might be the best cross-platform option, but it's not video CALLING per se - it's video CHATTING. Difference being that everybody already has to be signed in with the app open to use Yahoo. But with Qik, Fring, Tango - they all basically sign you in on your phone as soon as it turns on, so when somebody wants to vid chat with you it's more like receiving a phone call.

WHERE THE EFF IS GOOGLE'S SOLUTION!? I was super impressed with GTalk's ability to do all of this easily, but they don't have it on our phones yet.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci