Selling Evo,is Factory Data reset enough?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hey guys,
i have to sell my Evo. aside from that,
i want to get any personal infocompletely off the phone.

i went into the settings and did a Factory Data Reset,
and connected the phone to Format the SD card.

is that enough? do i need to wipe any cache from the Boot menu?

any responses would be appreciated, this is the first phone i'm selling.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
hey guys,
i have to sell my Evo. aside from that,
i want to get any personal infocompletely off the phone.

i went into the settings and did a Factory Data Reset,
and connected the phone to Format the SD card.

is that enough? do i need to wipe any cache from the Boot menu?

any responses would be appreciated, this is the first phone i'm selling.

I am curious too. I sold an Eris to a coworker and when she got the phone activated, my phone number showed up as a "Contact" in her phone and I did a factory reset.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
just did a Hard reset

turn phone off
hold power & volume down until white Boot screen appears
using volume rocker, scroll down to Clear Storage
Press Power button to confirm entering Storage
Press Volume Up to Clear the Storage
phone will clear the storage, then reboot itself.

this is more invasive than a Factory Reset through the usual phone menu.

if there is more i can do, please respond.

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Any reset of the device will clear all data. Pics, videos, and music won't be deleted, because they're store on the SD card.

You can delete those manually if they're still left behind after doing a reset. What I did was removed my SD card and replace it with another.

It depends on what you're plans are.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Format does not wipe the card. Data can be recovered from a formatted card rather easily.

Look at the post by BSG75 in the comments section off the link below for an easy explanation of how to wipe an SD card using Windows.

Easiest way to wipe your phone | Android Central

In regard to a hard reset, I find it a bit difficult to believe that a hard reset will wipe the phone's internal storage properly. The only way to be relatively sure that a memory device is clear is to use a program designed to overwrite that space. (I always advised clients selling or donating computers to yank out the hard drive and put an electric drill to work on it. LOL)

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Format does not wipe the card. Data can be recovered from a formatted card rather easily.

Look at the post by BSG75 in the comments section off the link below for an easy explanation of how to wipe an SD card using Windows.

Easiest way to wipe your phone | Android Central

In regard to a hard reset, I find it a bit difficult to believe that a hard reset will wipe the phone's internal storage properly. The only way to be relatively sure that a memory device is clear is to use a program designed to overwrite that space. (I always advised clients selling or donating computers to yank out the hard drive and put an electric drill to work on it. LOL)
I would just buy another 8gb SD card just to be sure.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
what you did should be ok for 99.9% of the time.

if you want to be sure of the sdcard...
1. replace the card.
or
2. delete everything.. then copy music over till card is full. then delete everything again. it would take a pretty good hacker to get anything off that! other than your music.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think for the average person selling to an average person formatting the SD card in the device and on the computer is good.
Doing a hard reset on the phone is a good idea to. When it comes to the "wipe user data" i have read its good to select that 3 different times. Why i dunno, but before i install a custom ROM i always do that type of wipe.
I would like to think most people arent going to go thru the trouble of trying to recover data that was on someones SD card or phone.
I will agree those type of people are out there but for the most part your safe doing the steps mentioned above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs