Can you do turn by turn navigation without data services

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Does any know kit this is possible? We are going to Europe and will have wifi in hotels but no 3g data.

sent from my NC

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Google maps can cache the terrain when it needs to. So, it doesn't need a data connection to download the map data if it's already downloaded.

However, the GPS on the phone is A-GPS and requires an active data connection to find the satellites. So no, I don't think it will work.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Over on the HTC board is an older thread from an EVO owner who did the same thing. They never posted back at the end to say how they made out. There are some good suggestions in the thread. Maybe post there and see if they still have the thread linked to their email. Get a first person answer on how they made out.

Sprint Community: Traveling in Europe with my Evo (as a...

One of the responding posters referred them to this thread on a-gps:
Assisted GPS, A-GPS GPS Review

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You will have very little success with that. All of the maps you will want will need to be pre-downloaded or cached on the device. that in its self is very tricky as it doesnt always download all the detail needed to save space and bandwidth.
The A-GPS like an earlier poster mentioned might need a data connection to accurately look for certain info.
There are 3rd party apps that are trying to solve these problems.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like using the epic will be more trouble than expected. I think I just buy the european map database for the Garmin Nuvi I have.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk