What exactly does Advanced Task Killer really do?

dave84krueger

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It closes programs for literally ten seconds and then I open task killer again and the programs are open again? I even click on some and force stop them but sometimes they open up again. Does Task Killer really even do anything?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It closes programs for literally ten seconds and then I open task killer again and the programs are open again? I even click on some and force stop them but sometimes they open up again. Does Task Killer really even do anything?

Sure, it wastes battery and uses system resources, to kill things that your phone needs to function smoothly.:D

toss it, most of those apps reopening are sharing resources with other functions. Android was built to multitask and will close out apps as efficiently as it can.

Reactions: PapaNoHair#AC

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
What he said! :) really only needed if an app is unresponsive, and even then you can just force close it in manage apps anyway.

dave84krueger

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow I deleted it ASAP lol, my uncle swore this thing was a must have for Android haha, the crazy thing is he'll never believe me that ATK hurts your phone more than helps it lol!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow I deleted it ASAP lol, my uncle swore this thing was a must have for Android haha, the crazy thing is he'll never believe me that ATK hurts your phone more than helps it lol!

Most people don't believe it, verizon reps like to push this also people who come from other platforms. people think that closing everything is beneficial.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
if you're rooted, i suggest using Autokiller Memory Optimizer. contrary to its name it isnt a task killer.

it fine tunes the memory manager to keep your phone fast....it also helps with battery life. also it has the android process/service manager within it (instead of going to Settings >> Applications >> Manage applications OR Running services)

if you're not rooted, then disregard what i said :p

Reactions: stevey5036

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Task Killers were useful before Froyo. Now they are pretty much useless. Btw a lot of those apps that restart themselves are probably bloatware. Rooting and flashing a custom Sense rom gets rid of them. Running an AOSP rom slims down unused apps and services running even more, thus great battery life.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
stop.. drop... and roll..

stop thinking about background apps... not important to android!

drop the killers... just not necessary for froyo. you can use the built in app manager to kill (force close) bad apps and uninstall them.

roll with android.. let it do its thing. you will be happier and android will thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith