Official Sprint EVO 4G Gingerbread update

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Very good news, now have to find out how to handle this with my rooted evo. Just did the unrevoked3 root to activate tether and give superuser to some other apps but kept everything else the same so wonder how big a deal it will be.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Very good news, now have to find out how to handle this with my rooted evo. Just did the unrevoked3 root to activate tether and give superuser to some other apps but kept everything else the same so wonder how big a deal it will be.

Same here, I'll keep checking back to see what everyone does with rooted phones =]

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I sincerely doubt they are going to ditch support on the Evo 4G in less than a year. It will get Gingerbread without a doubt in my mind.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

Reactions: pa7tip

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I sincerely doubt they are going to ditch support on the Evo 4G in less than a year. It will get Gingerbread without a doubt in my mind.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

I'm thinking your right. HTC has a good record with updates. Just waiting to see what happens.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the official update is that you're still going to get Sprint's bloat/demoware. I rooted specifically to get rid of that junk, and thanks to xda, I'm never going back to stock.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
As long as they never release a software that will have a hardware requirment that is higher then what our EVO's have, then they should continue to get the software updates

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the official update is that you're still going to get Sprint's bloat/demoware. I rooted specifically to get rid of that junk, and thanks to xda, I'm never going back to stock.

As soon as HTC releases a Sense/Gingerbread ROM you will start to see a rash of updates. The lack of such a base ROM to work with is why you don't see WARM/FRESH/Sprint Lovers etc running 2.3. For now(on the EVO) only ASOP roms can run Gingerbread and they are all flawed(gps issues, reboots, etc). Even the best of the ASOPs have issues. That's why I run Warm 2.2. This will go away once HTC releases a Gingerbread ROM for Evo(which I hope will include Sense 2.0). This is very exciting news!

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Something tells me that this will coincide with the release of the Evo 3d?

I think we will get gingerbread, but a good while after the 3D comes out. Sprint and HTC undoubtedly want the 3D to be as big a hit, if not a bigger hit than the original Evo was. They also want a lot of current Evo owners to get the 3D and if gingerbread and/or the new sense is available around the time the 3D is out I think a lot of current Evo owners would stick with their phones. If the timeline follows the original Evo and the 3D is released in June, I figure the originals won't be updated before October or November.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For me i get a ton of random reboots, my launchers work at best half the time, I lose GPS every 2 or 3 days and have to boot into a sense rom to do the GPS fix and there's still no HDMI last time I tried it. Also I love the sense Clock(not widget but the actual clock app). Also while most HTC apps can be easily replaced 3rd party, there are some(such as the clock application) that can't be. The videos dont look as good when recorded either. As a whole, CM7 is just buggy. Which they know, that's why its an RC and not a Final. They are doing good work but as yet, they haven't performed as well as Warm or Evi or many other HTC-Based roms. They are nearly there tho.

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think we will get gingerbread, but a good while after the 3D comes out. Sprint and HTC undoubtedly want the 3D to be as big a hit, if not a bigger hit than the original Evo was. They also want a lot of current Evo owners to get the 3D and if gingerbread and/or the new sense is available around the time the 3D is out I think a lot of current Evo owners would stick with their phones. If the timeline follows the original Evo and the 3D is released in June, I figure the originals won't be updated before October or November.

There is another argument to be made, however. It could be said that HTC will want to push 2.3 for Evo out before hand to both test it on the OG Evos first and also to show that they do in fact upgrade phones for their customers, in order to entice new customers. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy