my evo and laptop do not connect

vampire13

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello

My EVO works fine everything connects to the wifi hot spot this laptop my roomates other laptop the PS3 everything and anything except my HP laptop which connects to every other wifi hot spot that i can find and use everything from the public wifi at a starbucks to my brothers house everywhere does anyone have any clue if it the EVO of the laptop

i was thinking it was the laptop and just reset to factory settings and still it times out
if its the phone what can be done

thanks in advance
V

vampire13

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
and update its been 2 months and my laptop has been sent to the shop 2 times and had a new nic card placed in it and still it wont connect to my EVO and everything else still does including my friends laptop while we were on the road this past weekend.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are saying. Are you having problems connecting your EVO to wifi, or are you having problems with your laptop not connecting to your EVO as a wifi hotspot?

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I also have a HP with Windows 7 and it takes some time for it to connect to the hotspot. Here is how it does me:

1. Recognize the phone but doesn't have internet connection
2. (let it set for a few) Connects but says it has limited internet
3. (set even longer) Now completely connected

Yeah its annoying and takes a little bit but it finally connects.

What type of laptop does your friend have?

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Are you guys paying for the hotspot service? My understanding is that there are separate fees for that. Just curious. Otherwise, I can tether my Toughbook with PDANet using USB with no prob.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys paying for the hotspot service? My understanding is that there are separate fees for that. Just curious. Otherwise, I can tether my Toughbook with PDANet using USB with no prob.

There is a separate fee and no I'm not paying. I think its like another $20 a month

vampire13

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are saying. Are you having problems connecting your EVO to wifi, or are you having problems with your laptop not connecting to your EVO as a wifi hotspot?

my Laptop see's my EVO wifi hotspot and try's to connect but the laptop times out and i get this message " wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
As I the laptop has a brand new Wifi card in it and i still get nothing and it still connects to every other wifi hot spot under the sun ( starbucks the public library etc and at my friends homes)

vampire13

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I also have a HP with Windows 7 and it takes some time for it to connect to the hotspot. Here is how it does me:

1. Recognize the phone but doesn't have internet connection
2. (let it set for a few) Connects but says it has limited internet
3. (set even longer) Now completely connected

Yeah its annoying and takes a little bit but it finally connects.

What type of laptop does your friend have?

I just tried that and nothing yet my laptop is a HP Pavilion dv-7

my spare is a Dell Inspiron 1501 with vista basic my roommates is a Toshiba Satellite P105 and my friend with a Sony laptop connect as well and my PS3

8vdude8

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Some laptops seem really picky with the wireless networks that they accept. My friend's Lenovo refused to connect to random networks, or it would simply take too long to connect to it.

Try moving the phone around a little bit, and then check again. If that still doesn't work, then consider making a Ubuntu LiveUSB drive, and booting Ubuntu up and checking if the laptop connects to your phone at that point. If that works, then your Windows settings are to blame -- check specifically your wireless security settings. If it still doesn't work, then it's probably a laptop issue (perhaps a bad WiFi card, or poor antenna positioning on the laptop itself?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad