Wireless Tether without permanent Rooting

bjharada

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been digging thru the various threads about temporary root (Z4Root, SuperOneClick and Visionary) and there are so many comments about "Yes it works" vs "No it doesn't work" that it is totally confusing. Plus trying to dig thru 100's of pages of comments makes it mind numbing.

I have a stock EVO4g that has the current updates and I like the stock Rom and it fulfills my needs, so I would like to keep it. My wife's needs wifi tethering only once in a while and I would like to use my EVO4G to do Wifi Tether and allow her to do what she has to do.

Does anyone know what is the quickest way to obtain temporary root to wifi tether? What apk's do I need for the temp root and also wifi tether.

TIA

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Download the z4root apk version 1.3.0 and just select the temporary root option. Then download the wireless wifi tether app from the Market. Works great. If you need to reboot your phone you will need to rerun the temporary root option again....

bjharada

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Download the z4root apk version 1.3.0 and just select the temporary root option. Then download the wireless wifi tether app from the Market. Works great. If you need to reboot your phone you will need to rerun the temporary root option again....

I've got the z4root.1.3.0.apk

When I do a search in the Android Market, which wifi tether app do I select?
I only see "Barnacle wifi" and "A Wifi Tether AP Mesh Client"

I have an old download for "wireless_tether_2_0_6.apk". Is this the correct apk for wifi-tether?

Shineon

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You are correct. I haven't even gotten my EVO yet and was just looking in the market when i saw this thread. Looks like I might rooting as this is something I would really like to have.
Let me know how the temporary root goes, I'm curious.

bjharada

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I installed z4root and wifi tether, but when I tried wifi-tether, it says that the device is not rooted, and will not proceed. Don't know what to do next.

Reactions: dwallom

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i use the unrevoked forever 3. and i can confirm that wireless tether does work.

i've never gotten barnacle to work.

as for temporary root. i have no idea. but i have the stock rom available. should my phone need to be fixed. i can restore it to stock without any hitches.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You may need to have busybox installed. Install the free version of Titanium Backup and then there should be a "help" option to install Busybox.

bjharada

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I installed busybox from the Titanium Backup Free, and now z4Root seems to run fine, but when I start up wifi tether, I still get the message that the phone is not rooted. If I bypass the message, I then go into wifi-tether and I get the "press start to tether" message, but it never starts up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey