TEP Screen Replacement

baubie12

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Longtime lurker, first-time poster here. I've had my Evo since September. Anywho, I dropped my phone today and the screen cracked up. I immediately googled cracked Evo screen and read reports on forums that Sprint stores will replace the screen for free if you have TEP or for a nominal charge of $35.

So, I called 3 different stores 2 managed by Adcomm digital and 1 official sprint store and mentioned specifically the $35 replacement but they all point me to Asurion because it is "physical damage." Well, the Asurion costs $100 which is definitely cheaper than a new phone, but if it can be done cheaper then I'd rather do that.

Am I reading erroneous reports? Am I not calling the right store? FYI: I'm in the DC Metro area if geography matters at all.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
i know at my Indirect Sprint stores, if they have the part they will replace for free/35$ depending on TEP status. If they dont have the part then its Asurion bound. Just gotta get the right tech.

barakisbrown

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I just had this happen last week. I found out that sprint stores are not authorized to fix this type of physical damage. I replaced it thru Asurion and I got my the next day. The Asurion rep says that 70% of their calls is evo with the screen cracked.

Matt.ny.tech

Sep 7, 2010
www.yodouche.com
The key to getting your screen replaced IN store is, as someone suggested, finding an "indirect" ASC.

Some of you might know me from the Optimus forums. Im one of the "cool" ASC Tech's that understands that sh*t happens.

So why indirect? Cause we need your service to make money. Pretty simple right? Even if you dont have to pay for a repair we still make out on your visit. ANY half way decent tech will harvest part's to ensure repair can be the first option, but tech's like me harvest part's to ensure that regardless of your particular situation repair is an option.

Call around, find a tech that cares (He'll probably be a cocky douche on the outside but turn all warm and fuzzy when you tell him you need his GIANT brain to fix your phone) and avoid a 100$ insurance claim. If your in the upstate NY area, come find me and I'll do it for free...lol

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
.....Call around, find a tech that cares (He'll probably be a cocky douche on the outside but turn all warm and fuzzy when you tell him you need his GIANT brain to fix your phone) and avoid a 100$ insurance claim. If your in the upstate NY area, come find me and I'll do it for free...lol

that is funny lol The biggest issue is the tech actually having the correct screen, at this point there are five different types of screens out there (some are interchangeable) On the back of the device underneath the battery there are four barcodes, on the bottom barcode all the way to the right should be a letter(s) A,B,C XA, XB are the five types are out there. Having that letter when you call a service center will help the tech narrow down if he has the part or not. Find an indirect store because like Matt said they are more likely to do the repair than a corporate store will. Most 3rd parties can get it approved as long as you promise to give a great CSAT survey

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I had some water damage from installation of a screen protector. On the phone, they said it wouldn't be covered but I went to a nearby Sprint store, and the guy working there hooked me up. I'm paying $35, but he says I'll get a replacement evo by tomorrow. BTW, I don't have any insurance.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had some water damage from installation of a screen protector. On the phone, they said it wouldn't be covered but I went to a nearby Sprint store, and the guy working there hooked me up. I'm paying $35, but he says I'll get a replacement evo by tomorrow. BTW, I don't have any insurance.

Hence the 35 bucks. Probably no visible water damage on the board.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Matt. Physically going to the store is always the best option in these cases. I go to the same store, and talk to the same two people. If they are busy, I will wait for them to finish with their current customer. When you call, they will give you the standard policy. If you go in, most of them will try to help you out and keep you as a satisfied customer (there are always exception, of course).

I have walked into a Sprint store with a phone that had gotten wet, and even had water under the screen that was visible. I spoke with the same person that I always do, and he took it and replaced it with a refurb right there on the spot. No questions, no costs.

Sprint needs customers, especially right now, and a "good" CS rep will help you out.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
well, i got my screen replaced.

now i get the luxury of restoring my phone to the way i had it.

should have done the nand backup. even though i told them NO. and that it wouldn't do any good. cuz it's already been done 3 times.