If I Root Will I Have a Different Phone

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Got my EVO last week, just learning the phone. IF I root the phone, will it be totally different looking and acting phone?

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
If you just root, no. It won't change anything other than being able to use features/apps that require root access. If you flash a custom ROM, then it can significantly change things. Especially if you use an AOSP ROM like CyanogenMod or MIUI.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Got my EVO last week, just learning the phone. IF I root the phone, will it be totally different looking and acting phone?

With root access, you'll be able to open a whole new world. It will be highly customizable. From battery tweaks to custom roms. Do some reading in the Rom and Hacks section. Join the fun.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Actually it could be a "New phone" potentially. But you have to take things into consideration before you make a set decision on rooting, and rooting should never be taken lightly. It could potentially ruin the phone. And for every carrier in the US it voids warranty, read this article then decide. because custom roms and tweaks may be good for someone else but maybe you just don't need root.

This one first.

This one last.

And yes i'm rooted but for maintenance purposes like cache cleaning.

Last edited:

Tomcat420m

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my evo about a month ago my self and had it since it was released in the wild. I tell you I wish I would have rooted way sooner. Was real super easy using unrevoked3. It is HIGHLY customizable. From having gingerbread to different boot up animations & sounds. I changed my screen clicking noise, as well screen on/off sounds. Says welcome/ see you later alligator. There's so much, I'm a noob that's how easy it is. Plus dev and other users are real helpful.

Sent from my soon to be EVO3D using Tapatalk running GB 2.3.3 w/sense

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
To simply answer your question, no rooting your phone will not change it at all. It will, however, make it possible for you to change it in just about any way you can imagine. Once you load up a new ROM, your EVO experience will change, sometimes slightly, sometimes greatly, depending on the ROM. Before you flash any ROM you should read through its XDA thread so you know exactly what you are getting into. Most ROM posts will include screen shots so you can see how the UI has been altered/themed. When you try something like MIUI it will feel like a totally different device, as things look different and settings options are all in different locations. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on how much you like messing/playing with new things.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Please make sure you read this AC editorial: http://www.androidcentral.com/sometimes-root-isn’t-answer

While rooting is cool and allows you to be able to do a LOT with your device, it is not for everyone. I could give lots of examples, but I think the editorial speaks well to the virtues and pitfalls of rooting.

Having said that, there are also a LOT of people that hang around these parts that will help you as much as possible. I've never seen a "Help, I've rooted my phone and now something is broke" go unresponded to.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Please make sure you read this AC editorial: http://www.androidcentral.com/sometimes-root-isn’t-answer

While rooting is cool and allows you to be able to do a LOT with your device, it is not for everyone. I could give lots of examples, but I think the editorial speaks well to the virtues and pitfalls of rooting.

Having said that, there are also a LOT of people that hang around these parts that will help you as much as possible. I've never seen a "Help, I've rooted my phone and now something is broke" go unresponded to.

Lol did you not see my post.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
rooting... is like unlocking the doors in the house...
nothing has changed. everything is still what it was before.
chairs, sofa, beds, tables... all the same as before.

but now you are free to go anywhere and change anything you wish.
good or bad.. be careful.