You know what really grinds my gears?

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm not complaining about the fee per say but simply the fact that its been almost a yr and I still haven't seen 4G. Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Sprint can take their crappy unlimited 3G and shove it. Yes I bought the Evo knowing that I didn't have 4G in my area but come on , an entire yr and still no 4G, really?!? You've got to be kidding me. I bought the phone and have been paying the extra 10 dollars with the belief that one day I'd get 4G and a yr later Verizon and T Mobile both have it here and I'm getting laughed at. And yes it may be included on every smart phone plan but it was originally marketed specifically for the Evo 4G and only after it's success did Sprint decide to add it to all smart phone plans.

It would be hard if I didn't have all of the G's available and Verizon had LTE in my area. I definitely understand your frustration. My situation is the opposite, so I quite like Sprint. Some appear unable to accept my stance though.

acstewart82

Android Lover
May 22, 2010
Visit site
No quite the contrary I completely understand your stance. As far as these minutes you speak of think ill have to pass. You can't really expect me to believe you are getting everything that is said in those meetings unless you're attending them yourself. Words and phrases tend to be redacted under the guise of protecting privied info. I know how these i've held a clearance in the Navy and have seen first hand how quickly a document can become for lack of a better term "edited" and the govt ain't the only ones doing so.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't grind my gears at all. Sprint quit paying other carriers for use of their towers and are putting their own towers up. Sprint would lease space off of a Verizon tower and Verizon would authenticate that tower for use with Sprint. (NON-Roaming) Well, Verizon wanted more money, so Sprint rolled back to the towers they own and are expanding outward from those. Sprint isn't going anywhere. I think they blew it when they made deals with other carriers to support their network instead of going it alone in the first place. Sprint is also using Clearwire for their networks so in reality, you're have to look at a Clear map Http://www.clear.com as an overlay of the Sprint map to get a true measure of a coverage map.

Last edited:

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No quite the contrary I completely understand your stance. As far as these minutes you speak of think ill have to pass. You can't really expect me to believe you are getting everything that is said in those meetings unless you're attending them yourself. Words and phrases tend to be redacted under the guise of protecting privied info. I know how these i've held a clearance in the Navy and have seen first hand how quickly a document can become for lack of a better term "edited" and the govt ain't the only ones doing so.

I don't get the minutes, but we get briefed on Sprint constantly. HP (Hewlett-Packard) is a shareholder of Sprint. You can definitely get hold of Sprint's marketing plan. the only thing you wouldn't get hold of is the technological portions, and the hows and whys. That has NOTHING to do with a Naval Security Clearance.

Internetpilot

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I guess this has a lot to do with what I was talking about in my first-page reply. I didn't remember Sprint being so limited when I traveled just up and down the east coast, but this explains a lot as to why that is now. Hopefully, they'll start expanding quickly or establish a relationship with another communications partner that provides similar coverage to what they used to have.

Otherwise, my next phone may not be with Sprint, and I've been with them for 10 years as well. They do have some pretty good plans, and their 3G is rated pretty well by most 3rd party reviews, but coverage is coverage. If there isn't any coverage, the plan and the average data speeds don't do anyone much good.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't grind my gears at all. Sprint quit paying other carriers for use of their towers and are putting their own towers up. Sprint would lease space off of a Verizon tower and Verizon would authenticate that tower for use with Sprint. (NON-Roaming) Well, Verizon wanted more money, so Sprint rolled back to the towers they own and are expanding outward from those. Sprint isn't going anywhere. I think they blew it when they made deals with other carriers to support their network instead of going it alone in the first place. Sprint is also using Clearwire for their networks so in reality, you're have to look at a Clear map Http://www.clear.com as an overlay of the Sprint map to get a true measure of a coverage map.

Yes, I think this is exactly what is happening--Sprint isn't going to use other carriers towers anymore and is going to go at it with Clearwire's towers.

I am not worried. I've been a happy Sprint customer for 10+ years.

I hope, since Sprint's coverage now is more limited than it was a year ago, they cut people some slack on roaming. My area that I live it is well covered with Spring towers, thankfully, so I"m not too worried.

Reactions: CarrieK

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is definitely flipped out about perceptions. I lost 4G one day so I called Sprint to let them know something was up with a tower or something. I got no fewer than 5 phone calls throughout the day asking if it was working, and if I still had 3G. (I get 1.5-2.0Mbps on 3G so I'm quite happy with 3G here too) I assured them I wasn't upset and was merely reporting an outage. Then they started calling with a survey...I will not report an outage the next time. Someone else can. they did have 4G up and running again about 2 hours after I called.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think this is exactly what is happening--Sprint isn't going to use other carriers towers anymore and is going to go at it with Clearwire's towers.

I am not worried. I've been a happy Sprint customer for 10+ years.

I hope, since Sprint's coverage now is more limited than it was a year ago, they cut people some slack on roaming. My area that I live it is well covered with Spring towers, thankfully, so I"m not too worried.

Roaming is still free on Sprint, but they will throttle you for excessive roaming (e.g. 2-week vacation with teenagers on an Evo in a non-network covered area) They spelled it out somewhere, but I can't find it. It was pretty generous though. Those who live in areas affected by it were offered an opt out on their contracts and a chance to get in bed with the devil.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
yes but if it is roaming caused by them terminating contracts on previously non-roaming towers, that's a pretty gray area to be pointing fingers at their customers.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
yes but if it is roaming caused by them terminating contracts on previously non-roaming towers, that's a pretty gray area to be pointing fingers at their customers.

I agree. Sprint offered to let them out of their contracts,and I'm sure if they *****ed enough they could have got refunded for a phone if they just bought one. To keep things in perspective, there are not a lot of people in Wyoming, and those there use a local cell phone company, (Union Wireless) Alltel, or Verizon. If the bulk of Sprints business was there, I'm sure they would have renewed their lease and paid Verizon a lot of $$$ while adding towers. Same with Montana and North Dakota. Truth of the matter is that NONE of the Big 3 (or 4) have paid much attention to the hinterlands of those states as a single tower might be used by 3 people out on the sticks. Not very cost effective, and the big towns are actually small by Los Angeles or even Denver standards. Casper is the 2nd largest city in Wyoming and has a population of 50k. Billings is the largest in Montana and is a little over 100k. Not all of them use cell phones...Hell, most of them don't and they still have pay phones everywhere. I love it up there!

acstewart82

Android Lover
May 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I searched all over and I'm afraid no such form exists.

Did however find some interesting info on the wimax2 that was mentioned earlier and while I liked what I read it does seem as if this tech is at least another year or two away and even then who knows when we'll be getting it in my neck of the woods seeing as how it doesn't even seem like we'll be getting wimax any time soon. It seems to me that if lte does as well as it looks like it will I'm afraid wimax still may not make it. Unless sprint and clear get on the ball and start getting this tech out of the lab into the hands of the consumer. There is no reason why it can't be done. Verizon has said they plan to have all their 3G networks covered by lte within the next few years and already have a rather healthy portion of their network covered in comparison to others.

atom ant22

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry didnt check back on the post, Ill look up the link the cs gave me.
I compailned about the 4g being not working the in my area that week . I ended up only getting for that month.

The link she sent me was if 4g was not avaiable in your area which is what you are looking for. Soon as i get home ill post it. It gave you credit back simple form, phone number and i think you needed a number off your phone or box.

Either way im sure you can call or chat with cs. i usually chat online they will give you a service credit they are usually helpful just dont be an @ss and be cool they usually give you what you want

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463