Contacts storage excessive size

tlcfotog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I've searched and reviewed a few threads on this issue, but there does not appear to be a reason or solution for this activity, and I'm trying to find it so I can determine how to stop it from continuing.

- The Contacts Storage under Applications (All tab), when opened, shows 85.4Mb of Data.
- A few weeks ago, I cleared the data after a) making a backup to the SD card, and b) ensuring that I was synced with my Google Contacts.
- It has been growing incrementally since then. Now, admittedly, after clearing the Contacts Storage data, it took about 20 minutes to resync all my contacts. At that time, my Contacts Storage was at 1.27Mb.
- I did import my Facebook contacts, but ONLY the contacts, not all the other stuff. After that, Contacts Storage data showed at 2.87Mb.
- Deleting contacts, merging them, etc., has made no impact at all... if anything, it seems to make the problem worse.

My questions are these:

- Is the FB import somehow incrementally adding more data... and if so, WHAT data? All I see when I look at a record is the name and contact information that *I* put in. There is no additional field that says "More Crap Than You Can Shake A Stick At:"
- Is there a way to prevent this excess from occurring again if I clear it out?

The problems this causes are:

- I cannot update apps. It says I don't have enough room.
- I persistently get the Low Space warning... and ONLY since my Contacts Storage size has gone back to this 85+Mb size am I getting that.
- I'm sure there are other things... but I don't know what they are yet.

Please, let's get a good dialog going on this so I can solve the problem.

Thanks! :)

Tony

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have 600+ contacts synced with Facebook and my Contacts Storage is around 16 MB. I'm guessing you don't have 3000+ contacts, so I'm not sure how your storage could get so large. One guess would be a corrupted contact, but since you removed them all started over, I would think that would have cured it.

tlcfotog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have around 1,600... but when I clear everything out, and after it syncs with Google again, the storage goes back to like 12Mb. Over time, it grows. At this moment it is at 26.25Mb... which isn't bad, but seems like a lot for only 1,600 names. I have PC databases with over 8,000 names that are smaller. :\

I'll keep an eye on it, and this thread (which surprised me when I saw that there were 125 views and one reply... LOL) and report if I find out something new.

Is this happening to ANYONE else???

Tony

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have seen this on other forums and the general consensus is that it is a runaway facebook contact issue. I had a huge contact storage size and cleared it out. Have turned off automatic syncing of FB contacts and hopefully that will help

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
this may sound really dumb, but so be it. if i export all my contacts to my SD Card, and then clear the data in the app, can i just retrieve the info from the SD Card? and if so, how do i do that?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
What exactley is syncing from facebook contacts? Does it put all of my facebook friends in my phone's contact list?

Yes, it can put them in your contacts list. It will pull in all the contact info from your Facebook friends if you check the box to sync Facebook contacts or view them in your people app. I don't need to know all that info so I don't sync my FB contacts and I don't view them in the people app

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have around 1,600... but when I clear everything out, and after it syncs with Google again, the storage goes back to like 12Mb. Over time, it grows. At this moment it is at 26.25Mb... which isn't bad, but seems like a lot for only 1,600 names. I have PC databases with over 8,000 names that are smaller. :\
I would imagine that what's taking up all that space are the profile pictures of each of your 1600 Facebook contacts. That probably means your friends' profile pics are averaging around 54KB.

You'd think the programmers would be smart enough to simply put that database on the SD card, where we have ample space, instead of the tiny fish bowl that is the Evo 4G's internal memory.

Mind of glen

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
I came across this thread while searching for a solution to mine

My contact storage now 3.08gb and I have just 3000 contacts init 😂

I don't know what to d anymore

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is an 11 year old thread, so it'd probably be better to post a new thread with your question, and make sure to include more details like which phone you have. Thanks!<br>

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae