EVO Overheat

jkoogler

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have recently started experiencing constant reboot. It seems after long periods of use, the phone heats up and causes the failure. I went to a Sprint repair facility while it was rebooting (keeping it wrapped in my hand and warm) and the tech shook his head yes while I explained what was going on and ordered a new phone for me. I have a Seidio 3500 extended battery with a rugged case which involves 3 layers of protection around the phone. This brings me to my question: does all this protection and larger battery possibly lead to a premature failure of the phone by no being able to dissipate heat created by the processor? I sure HTC would say yes, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how is the phone being used. My wife and daughter have the same phone with factory batteries and Seidio Active cases and much heavier use (texting, facebook etc.).

Thanks,
Jay

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the ballistic case and never have any of those problems. It's a very bulky case and I had concerns about it being too much but so far, nothing.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ever had SD card problems? I've some sd cards flake out before and really heat up a phone. I'm talking very hot to the touch.

Just throwing out other ideas in case the replacement phone exhibits the same problems.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Ever had SD card problems? I've some sd cards flake out before and really heat up a phone. I'm talking very hot to the touch.

Just throwing out other ideas in case the replacement phone exhibits the same problems.

Interesting... Never heard of that, but something to keep in mind.

dave84krueger

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the standard battery that came with the phone and the $50 Otterbox case, I love it, have no issues at all. I have a battery widget that shows my temp at all times and if it gets up to like 103 degrees I will usually let it sleep til it cools down, it rarely goes over 100 degrees and I use my phone quite a lot. I use it to listen to Sirius with their app, I'm rooted so I use Wi Fi Hotspot a lot, I seriously love this phone LOL!!

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Except sprint tried to give me back my old phone, I took it opened up maps and it rebooted. Needless to say I then got a replacement phone. I absolutely hate the tech at thestore near me, he's been there for years. I have to fight each time to get a phone replaced.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody confirmed its the device and not the battery?
Theres a possibility that the battery could be bad, causing it to get hot prematurely because its constantly showing low voltage / current and getting over heated from the charger trying to charge it up.
We all know the EVO does like to consume power. So with a bad battery if the device gets to a spot where its ramped up its processor and various other functions running its possible that the battery simply doesnt have enough power and causes the device to reboot.
If anybody out there does have an EVO that gets hot and can put in a different battery to test this theory let me know.
The theory being that heat is not the ONLY factor making it reboot, but the battery does not have enough power to properly run the device and is causing the reboot. When i had an EVO i ran it pretty hot a few times playing games and using Navigation.

If anybody wants to help me test this out and get a free battery click my link below for Tech Corner Blog. I am hoping to prove my theory might be right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance