Sprint vs Boost

blakerandy

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I've got some friends thinking about switching from other carriers to either Sprint or Boost and they asked me to explain the difference between them.

I had never heard of Boost Mobile before so I checked them out. Truthfully I can't see much difference between the plans. I use and EVO 4G and one of the friends just bought a new EVO and had it flashed to work with Boost.

Has anyone had experience with this and why would we stay with Sprint if the cost savings is there?

Thanks, Randy

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sprint owns Boost. Literally. Same with Virgin Mobile. No contracts, cheaper phones...Upside is you can use a Sprint phone on Boost, so you could buy an Evo3D off contract and use it on Boost. They won't let you keep your Sprint phone number though.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I heard that 4G is not available with Boost. But they offer $5 off your bill every 6 months when you pay on time (up to $15 off within 18months). My understanding is that the initial plan is $50/mo. for unlimited everything (no 4G) with the potential to get to $35/mo. after 18/mo. of no late payments. I also heard that phones like the EVO can be made to work on the Boost network.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Typically the non-contract variants also do not have *ANY* roaming.

Like sprint has excellent roaming tables , while Boost and Virgin have jack.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprint owns Boost. Literally. Same with Virgin Mobile. No contracts, cheaper phones...Upside is you can use a Sprint phone on Boost, so you could buy an Evo3D off contract and use it on Boost. They won't let you keep your Sprint phone number though.

good luck getting an evo on boost

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
good luck getting an evo on boost

????
Works just fine, a guy at work got an eVo off Ebay and is running it on Boost. Everything works just fine, except 4g of course.

Plus the OP stated in his post that he knows of someone how has an eVo flashed to boost.

Sent From My Pocket Rocket!!!!!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
That about sums it all up. If you consider the potential of being at $35/mo for unlimited talk/txt/data, then this seems to be a huge plus for me. The loss of 4G is no biggie really, since I don't use 4G much, if at all, anyway. If I didn't have to pay early termination on 4 lines for my current Sprint plan I'd already be a Boost customer.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
????
Works just fine, a guy at work got an eVo off Ebay and is running it on Boost. Everything works just fine, except 4g of course.

Plus the OP stated in his post that he knows of someone how has an eVo flashed to boost.

Getting an evo on boost isn't as simple as calling boost up and telling them you want to put your phone on their service. Most likely your EVO's ESN isn't in their database.

also a con of not having sprint service is no insurance or service plan, so when you drop your evo and the screen shatters, your screwed.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Getting an evo on boost isn't as simple as calling boost up and telling them you want to put your phone on their service. Most likely your EVO's ESN isn't in their database.

also a con of not having sprint service is no insurance or service plan, so when you drop your evo and the screen shatters, your screwed.

true...but if you dont need ins.. win-win

playing devils advocate...
for those that do need ins...
6months savings = $30x6 = $180
ins savings for not paying it = ($7x6) + $100 copay = $142

total savings in 6 months = $322
you can get another evo on craigslist

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

This made me chuckle..... Thanks!!!!!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

El Oh El...I think I might switch to Boost.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sonny50

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Pro's and Con's on Boost

Boost Pros: Lower monthly service IF you pay on time, Miss a payment your going back to $50! $60 for Blackberry!

Cons: NO customer service, call them and see for yourself, they might answer in an hour!

NO roaming, no sprint tower NO service!

NO Current model phone! Great selection of 2009 discontinued models!

Not all markets have 3G some still working in 2G, and Never will you see 4G!

stephenr

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
no 4G
no roaming
no contract
cheaper per month.

anything else?

great summary.
this is it.
it?s not that complicated.
it is up to each individual to figure out what features are important to him/her and then decide if the price difference outweighs those features
for me it was very easy -
i could care less about 4g
i obviously would like to pay less and not be on contract
however, i live in Tennessee and if you look at the boost/virgin/native sprint map there is coverage only in cities and on the interstate
go off the interstate or leave a city and you have an expensive brick
i chose to pay more on contract with sprint so that i can roam off of Verizon?s network

denbake

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
i have an evo, i am in pittsburgh, and unless you are in the little 2 mile radius, there is no 4g here either. only 3g and it is scattered.