Ask us about the Sprint Evo 4G

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
OK, OK. We got it. You guys still have plenty of (very good!) questions regarding the Sprint Evo 4G. So let's make things easier on everybody and get them all in one place. What else do you want to know about the Evo 4G? Post your Q's in this thread, and we'll get you some A's. Promise.

donald.aleshire

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
In general, it seems like most smart phones struggle with battery life now a days, other than BlackBerry. But media rich ones like Palm, iPhone and Android seem to lose battery life quickly.

I have heard things about Sense UI taking more power, and that certain phones can't make it very long with Android/Sense UI on.

Since Android 2.1 is already out on one phone, the Nexus 1, with a 1400mAH battery, how do you see battery life performing with a 1500mAH battery with Sense UI attached? Any type of time reference with the Nexus 1 right now would be very helpful even though it doesn't have Sense UI.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Here's the big question: can the Evo 4G use full WiMax speeds? For example, Clear advertises 6Mbps down, but if you're on their unlimited and uncapped plan, you can hit up to 13Mbps down. Will this be true of the Evo as well?

carru

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
No trackpad or trackball on this phone. Is that even a concern? It's on recent (N1) and future HTC Android phones (Desire) there will be one - why take away screen real estate for a trackball if it's not necessary? So, is it? :)

Last edited:

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know if I can travel to europe with it? Or am i tied in to US only. And on the video where the guys presses a button and you can see multi apps is that like palm pre, have few apps running at once?

thanks

aaronaaron

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm w/'DonnieAles'.
I am very excited for this phone but am concerned about battery life, and for good reason.
When I purchased the Palm Pre? last year at it's release, I had been watching it since Feb. Reading everything I could, asking questions, reading, reading, learning, etc. (i even had my hands on it 2 weeks prior to release) BUT battery life, seemed to "slip the list" as I, now looking back, just took it for granted. BIG MISTAKE.
My Co-Worker has a MotoDroid and is very satisfied with it's battery life. And yes I am aware that the EVO 4G has a slightly larger battery, but when you take into account all the additional features of this new device I kind of begin to cringe.
EXAMPLES of what concerns me...
- Sense UI
- WiMAX Radio
- 1GHz Snapdragon Processor (almost double the Droid?)
- The larger LEDLCD Screen (curious as to why no AMOLED)
- Does a higher quality Camera(8mp) need more Power?
- Front-Facing Camera (1.3mp)
- HDMI(mini) out
- MiFi Capabilities (WiFi Hotspot)

All these things are exactly what is going to make this phone/MID amazing! BUT IS the battery going to "Hang"? I know that the Specs on the EVO 4G are slightly more campaerable to the Nexus One?, so maybe that would be a better example.

-aaronaaron

Last edited:

jimmi24

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
will it work on verizon

If you could unlock this bad boy would it work with verizon? More importantly, would verizon let you activate it on their network? (Obviously 4g wouldn't work but would 3g)

HDGuru7

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
1. WHEN is it coming out??
2. Does it have a proximity sensor?
3. Is there a message indicator for when you get a new SMS/Email/Facebook?

pyro#AC

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
international phone? have extra slot for sim card? Man, Sprint need get international phone line for Android. They current don't have one yet for android. thanks

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
1.) Why no AMOLED? For a multimedia powerhouse, why implement top-of-the-line everything else and take a step backwards with TFT LCD? Did the OEM not make 4.3" AMOLEDs? Also, is 65K colors the limitation of TFT LCD, or can this be increased with a software tweak? Viewing HD content is nearly lost on a washed-out screen that cannot achieve true-life colorization. Again, for a device whose main selling point (excl. 4G) is its video capabilities, why did they go cheap on these components?

2.) Why only 1GB ROM and 512 RAM? If the rumors of the HTC Incredible turn out to be true, it will have 6-8GB ROM and 1GB RAM; also, other HTC phones have already come out with 576 RAM. How can Sprint's flagship phone ship with less than other inferior devices and still manage to adequately handle the audio/video?

3.) I've heard gossip that the HTC EVO 4G shown at CTIA is not in its finished form, and that HTC, Google and Sprint are still tweaking various aspects of the device and its software. Please try to find out what, if anything, they are still working on; what might change; what is pretty much done to their satisfaction, etc.

Thanks for looking out for us. I look forward to the answers you receive. :)

chocmatic

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming that it should work this way...if not in wimax covered area it will work off of 3g? I'm hoping that we don't need to upgrade to a special WIMAX plan.

Ozmodiar

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming that it should work this way...if not in wimax covered area it will work off of 3g? I'm hoping that we don't need to upgrade to a special WIMAX plan.

It will work off of 3G if you're not in a 4G area. I know this.

I too am hoping that there won't be "special plan pricing" for this phone.

emuir

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Here are my problems with the phone. While Sprint says it's 4G... it's not going to be much faster than 3G+ HSPA (AT&T). That's not really the phones problem however. The phone is most likely going to have a backbone of CDMA 1XEVDO REV A. Not going to be to quick on the net this way. If your lucky and are in a major metropolitan area you could access WiMax but chances are your probably not going to get speeds faster that 20 mbps. WiMax has been capped at 40 mbps in real use studies. Being that is will most likely be a serialized device and not SIM based, that means that us Canadians wont get to use it at all. The WiMax will probably run similar to a wifi connection, after all it is a protocal of 802.16e, just a variation of wifi protocal. So untill sprint moves their voice over to V o IP looks like that handset is staying on Sprint. So i guess most of my problems about this phone are with the network and not the actual device. Cuz let's be honest there has never been a phone this packed. This thing is the best of all world's... its like sidney crosby meets michael jordan... siiick!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781