why are phones that come out AFTER the EVO getting GB before it!?

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!? it's not fair!!

:p i dont really care....i switch between the AOSP ROMs that have GB already anyway lol but I am curious as to why tho? It seems weird that those phones (Galaxy S variants, Droid X, etc.) are getting GB before the EVO, especially the Galaxy S variants considering it took Samsung FOREVER to push froyo lol

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my guess is that HTC/Sprint do not want to release Gingerbread for the EVO until after the EVO 3D is released. it's marketing. they don't want to do anything which might hurt the initial EVO 3D demand. if you have a phone that was just upgraded to the latest OS, you are less likely to upgrade to a new phone.

from what i can tell, the move from Froyo to Gingerbread is not that much of a leap so we are not missing out on that much.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How soon we forget. Remember how the EVO got Froyo before all the phones that came out before it?

It's the manufacturer's and carrier's way of incentivising new purchases and of rewarding those who have bought their latest and greatest. Which unfortunately we EVO 4G owners are not anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wicell

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
New phones with a newer version of Android are designed to entice people to switch over to Sprint or renew their 2yr contract to keep them locked in. Why release a phone with slightly better HW with the same version of Android? How is that enticing to people on other carriers or to people who may be ready for a contract renewal? This is all marketing. You have to keep offering new stuff to keep the people interested. If the new HW isn't ready then update the SW and give them some new features! Tis the nature of the beast my friends.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
my guess is that HTC/Sprint do not want to release Gingerbread for the EVO until after the EVO 3D is released. it's marketing. they don't want to do anything which might hurt the initial EVO 3D demand. if you have a phone that was just upgraded to the latest OS, you are less likely to upgrade to a new phone.

from what i can tell, the move from Froyo to Gingerbread is not that much of a leap so we are not missing out on that much.

So that being the case why not go ahead and roll it out. People wanting the EVO 3D will still buy it because of the 3D and maybe a few other things, I myself am sticking with my EVO regardless...

HamRadioNut

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't have money for the 3D so I will stick to my awesome OG EVO (is it weird that I can call it that without people looking at me weird). The main reason I wanted 2.3 was to see how cut copy and paste was implemented with HTC in charge of the update and of course some new things in Sense if possible.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
People are humans and we have feelings too. For whatever reasons HTC / Sprint / Google, or whoever has decided to wait for the launch of their (infamous) phone - (Evo 3d), it's just ridiculous. (IMO)

I don't see an update to (gingerbread) would in any way caused low sales on the Evo 3d. What they should be more concerned about is the "locking of the bootloader" on the Evo 3d. Smf!!

Last edited:

MBC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
No reason to prevent Gingerbread on Evo because of the Evo 3D. 3D will have the new sense which is incentive enough. The new sense cannot be put on the original Evo because it doesn't have enough memory to hold the new files. So, Gingerbread on original Evo should happen now!

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Face facts your phone is outdated HTC and sprint will only update for so long, either root of move on. I keep calling Microsoft cause my windows 2k can't update to windows and they tell me to get a relavent piece of tech and stop complaining. My next device is a nexus no locked anything screw everyone else

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
No reason to prevent Gingerbread on Evo because of the Evo 3D. 3D will have the new sense which is incentive enough. The new sense cannot be put on the original Evo because it doesn't have enough memory to hold the new files. So, Gingerbread on original Evo should happen now!

Wait, what? The new Sense can't fit on the EVO? I've been gone for a while but I totally missed that announcement. That really sucks!

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it gotta have something with who got the previous update first (Fro-Yo)
You know
The Motorola MileStone 1 was the first phone ever to get Eclair 2.1 after the Nexus one , but we just got Fro-Yo last month !!!
I think its the same with the EVO since its was the first to get Fro-yo after the Nexus one
This time looks like the Droids by Motorola will get it first (in the race between between Verzion & Sprint)

Its true what they say :
"Sometimes you win some & sometimes you lose some"

Just hang in there & you will get it soon , If not officially , It will be ported outta the Desire HD (they are kinda the same phone)

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
If HTC and Sprint think that delaying the OTA Gingerbread update will cause OG EVO owners to part with cash for the EVO 3D, they are mistaken. I wouldn't buy the EVO 3D if they never gave us Gingerbread. My next phone upgrade will be whatever Nexus S is available in December. The Nexus phones always get the updates first and that works just fine for me.