Coming soon? Removing of bloatware without rooting?

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just reading an article on CNET.com dated TODAY titled "Why is Sprint installing junk apps on my Android phone?"

This little tidbit caught my attention - sorry if it has been mentioned anywhere else on the forums...

Also, Sprint, in conjunction with Google, is taking steps to develop a technical solution that would allow customers to remove any unwanted applications that have been preloaded or pushed in an over-the-air software update."

Read more: Why is Sprint installing junk apps on my Android phone? | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

So, hopefully this may lead to us non-rooting folk being able to remove NOVA, Blockbuster, NASCAR, etc. from our phone. Wonderful!

Kitster

Reactions: DizWhiz

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I never opened Nova either. I did like the inclusion of Swype, though. Now that Swype is an open beta, it probably doesn't matter much if phone vendors include it in the ROM.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yea, it was nice the Sprint included Swype for those who use/like it. I just wish they had included a way to remove it for those like me who don't use it. People rag on Sprint a lot, but I think they're the best ones around because of their pricing. They also have the best phones imo and don't drag their feet like Verizon. Looking at it, the Bolt has more issues than the Evo did, and Verizon spent a lot of time delaying the Bolt to make sure it was as close to perfect as they could get it. Now we're going to get the 3D which smokes them all (Atrix is close and a badass in its own right)

Nate79

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the comment in the article where someone said "HTC/Sprint are pretending they own the phone. Or maybe I am." That's pretty much how I feel when I see all the BS apps that are using up space that I could be using for apps that really want and will use.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i would love to remove the clutter. i hate clutter. i can understand that they want to preinstall apps and perhaps get paid to do so. that's fine. but let me uninstall them!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
What a difference it is when you root and don't see the bloatware. I used to be around 45-50 MB left on my phone and get that low memory warning. Now, I have too much room!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I like the comment in the article where someone said "HTC/Sprint are pretending they own the phone. Or maybe I am." That's pretty much how I feel when I see all the BS apps that are using up space that I could be using for apps that really want and will use.

I agree that was a great comment!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
what are the thinking? "let's put all this bloatware on there. and let's make it non-removable bloatware. this way, they'll surely use it!"

you can not force people to use apps!

i mean - WTF - if i don't want to use an app - it doesn't matter if it's non-removable or not - i'm not going to use it! in fact, i may even be more likely to NOT use it based on general principle and because of pure spite of not being able to delete it!

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't every carrier now get a section in the Market? I know Sprint has a section available from the Market home. I would prefer that each carrier put their apps there so if a user wants them, they can download them. To me not having a lot of carrier apps/trial-ware pre-installed is the best feature of the Nexus phones and the iPhone.

I think it would be cool if manufactures and Google came up with an easy way for all phones to ship with the standard OS and allow customers to download sense/blur/touch-wiz/etc.. from the Market. I wouldn't mind if they even charged for it in the Market. Having to purchase it might make it more likely that older phones would be supported with more updates. This way people who want to run stock phones could, they could download the carrier apps from the Market if they want, and if they want the get Sense or whatever they could purchase it from the Market. To me this would be ideal and I think it would at least make it easier for Google to keep all phones updated quicker with the latest OS.

cg1492

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That little piece of software mentioned will never come out. It will always have delays and setbacks. Customers are going to have to put up with renting their phone, not owing it....silly customers

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the UI skins. I just don't want the bloatware. But the good thing about Print is that the bloatware is free usually. Unlike Verizon and At&t that want you to pay extra for the bloatware apps.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The CM7 ROM is about less than half the size of the Sprint/HTC ROM.

Its not just the bundled apps, but Sense ROMs are rather bloated with all the UI and Sense apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21