Can Sprint find out if you're rooted?

dave84krueger

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading on here that someone got a letter from Sprint basically saying they knew he was rooted because of how much data he used on the network.

I use my phone sometimes as a WiFi Hotspot for XBOX LIVE. I'm also using my EVO for its internet browser all the time. I'd imagine my data usage must be much higher than an average user.

So can Sprint ever bust us for being rooted? Can I get a letter saying I owe them 6 months worth of the wifi Hotspot add on since I've been using it free all along?

BTW I haven't been using WiFi Hotspot in the last few weeks ever sense I read the thread on here from the guy who said Sprint busted him.

Any thoughts, input or opinions??

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am almost positive that thread you're referring to was closed due to it being a troll thread. At no point did said person ever provide any shred of proof.

Can they see a massive increase in data usage? Yes.

Will they do anything about it? Most likely not unless you are seriously abusing the services.

Any and all providers can cut you off or bill you for abuse, its in every contract on this planet of phones/internet.

There is sadly no one answer on this, just tons of opinions. In the end the only real answer is pay for the hotspot feature to be 100% safe. Otherwise you are simply gambling with your contracted service.

RoscoePColtrane

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
there was an article on AC about AT&T sending out letters or texts about illegally using the hot spot feature. They knew based on the way the phone was receiving data... it was getting data specific to a computer and not a mobile browser. They can not prove you were using one of these programs... was more of a scare tactic, but they are watching!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember where I read this story, but I do remember reading that a few of the carriers have begain to deploy software that can detect if you are rooted or not. I suppose its for if you bring your device in to swap because it bricked or something. They can just say or messed it up because you rooted it. Also like error said, abuse of the network. I just hope one day the carriers become as hacker friendly as HTC just did with their bootloader announcement. One can dream uh. :)

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
In your question being rooted is not the real issue. The issue is that you are using data not allowed by your plan.

Can they detect this? Yes.

Will they? Anyone's guess.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
The only way sprint can tell if your rooted is if you tell them or you bring it in the store and a rep notices it. There isnt a official policy for or against root but if you are using higher than normal data for instance the first two months you had the device you only used 2GB but the third and fourth months you used 5GB, thats a heck of an increase in just mobile usage so they think you are using the hotspot feature so they will either add the Hotspot plan if you continue to use large amounts of data or just cancel with ETF Since its an Evo though, with Netflix supporting our device, its easy to use that amount so if Sprint sends a letter just call and say hey its Netflix lol

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Who cares! Most of the techs and sales reps running Android are rooted as well. Just unroot before you take it in for a software issue that you can't fix. I've even heard of people taking in their phones for hardware issues while they were still rooted and the techs didn't make an issue of it.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i took mine in for glass replacement.

they reloaded my phone to stock. after i told them NO. there's absolutely NO reason to wipe my phone out just becuase the notification bar won't drop down. just replace the glass.

ALWAYS back up your phone before repairs.

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Took my EVO in for a repair and they didn't say anything, and when I picked it up I bought a new phone and gave the rooted EVO to my wife, the guy swapped the numbers and never said anything about it being rooted...I've even had a manager at a kiosk ask me if I wanted him to root it for me, but I said no cuz I was doing it myself...

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If they (Sprint) give you any crap about how you use your data or how much data you use, just play them this video...

YouTube - ‪Sprint Dictionary‬‏

Unlimited in unlimited and has no limits. If they have any questions about that, tell them to contact the CEO of the company for further clarification!

Sprint specifically outlines that tethering is a means to terminate your services though in the contract you sign. So no, their advertising does not matter.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
True, but there are lots of rooted people (just like the OP) using tethering and not being terminated. I think I recall one thread where someone said they got dropped by Sprint for this. I think you are pretty much safe, unless you are bit torrenting tons of stuff. The OP is using his connection for X-BOX live for crying out loud! Not really worried about them terminating my contract, but this could be a great way to get out without having to pay the early termination fee...

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think the thread you're talking about was already talked about in here. The guy never had any proof that Sprint threatened with a letter or something? I'd think Sprint would take notice though if your usage was extremely high for only doing things with apps they'd consider non-taboo. I mean when I first got this thing I wanted to just get a free tethering app and abuse the WiMAX, but then I found that WiMAX signals suck around here despite the coverage maps saying otherwise.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember where I read this story, but I do remember reading that a few of the carriers have begain to deploy software that can detect if you are rooted or not. I suppose its for if you bring your device in to swap because it bricked or something. They can just say or messed it up because you rooted it. Also like error said, abuse of the network. I just hope one day the carriers become as hacker friendly as HTC just did with their bootloader announcement. One can dream uh. :)

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint/87357-sprints-policy-rooting-please-sticky.html

i'll just leave this here.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint will only detect the amount of data you are using. Yes, unlimited means unlimited but doesn't mean tethering is permitted without a proper plan. Just like any utility company, Sprint keeps record of the amount of data used on a regular basis, you see this on your bill. If there is a big spike in data consumption it could raise a flag with Sprint that something "unusual" is happening. This doesn't mean service will be terminated.

Using more data does not mean you are tethering. But like AT&T recently did, Sprint may send a notice informing of their policy. I have yet to see documentation of this happening.

Evo4gee501luv

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I got a letter from sprint saying that I would need to add a data plan and purchase a modem or wifi device. They said they would monitor my account and cancel if no changes were made.. But they didn't say anything about charging me for the data I used. I was rooted and using wifi for Xbox live and steaming Netflix for about 5 months before they said anything. Businesswork45@gmail.com <<< email me if u want proof!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I got a letter from sprint saying that I would need to add a data plan and purchase a modem or wifi device. They said they would monitor my account and cancel if no changes were made.. But they didn't say anything about charging me for the data I used. I was rooted and using wifi for Xbox live and steaming Netflix for about 5 months before they said anything. Businesswork45@gmail.com <<< email me if u want proof!

I run rooted myself and use wireless tethering on occasion but I believe it's a big red flag when you tether your xbox or ps3 and do Netflix streaming.

My opinion that is when you are abusing the system.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone sometimes as a WiFi Hotspot for XBOX LIVE. I'm also using my EVO for its internet browser all the time. I'd imagine my data usage must be much higher than an average user.
Log in to Sprint's website and check your data usage. How much were you using on average, before and after you stopped using the hotspot?

if you are using higher than normal data for instance the first two months you had the device you only used 2GB but the third and fourth months you used 5GB, thats a heck of an increase in just mobile usage so they think you are using the hotspot feature so they will either add the Hotspot plan if you continue to use large amounts of data or just cancel with ETF
A person can easily change his/her usage habits. Maybe he/she just got a new video streaming service, so changing from 2GB to 5GB is not really that much more data to raise any red flags. I've been testing how much data I'd use if I try to use my phone and its data plan instead of home Wi-Fi for half of my web browsing (the other half is on my computer using my cable provider), and I've averaged around 4GB. That's with only a few YouTube videos and mostly just web forums and Facebook, so I'm sure you'd need to use a lot more than that to raise some red flags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar