App question

Jager44

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Where are the apps stored on the Android phones? Is it the RAM, ROM or SD Card? I'm sorry for the "dumb" question, but I'm really confused. The reason I ask is I'm going to get an Evo or Nexus 1 (leaving Blackberry) and I'm wondering if the apps take a lot of space or can you have a large quantity of apps? Also, do they take up a lot of memory if you don't shut them down when done using them?

Thanks
Jager44

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Where are the apps stored on the Android phones? Is it the RAM, ROM or SD Card? I'm sorry for the "dumb" question, but I'm really confused. The reason I ask is I'm going to get an Evo or Nexus 1 (leaving Blackberry) and I'm wondering if the apps take a lot of space or can you have a large quantity of apps? Also, do they take up a lot of memory if you don't shut them down when done using them?

Thanks
Jager44

No question is dumb :)
The RAM is just like the RAM on your computer.
The ROM is like the hard drive on your computer. It holds the OS and the applications.
The SD card is intended for storage. Things like music and other media. You can put apps on it as well if you have rooted the phone and made a suitable file system on part of the SD card.
Some apps are big, most are very small. For example I am using 30 different 3rd party apps and they use less than 15 Mb in total.
Apps only take memory that's not used by anything else. The OS is programmed to shut things down as needed. Like anything else, there are tweaks to make it even better.

I second this as I am also leaving BB as soon as the EVO hits. And what about apps2sd? Is that a custom rom or future feature?
It's both.
Right now, you can runs any or all your apps from the sd card if you're rooted.
Google has announced that apps on the SD card will be a feature in a future release.

Jager44

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I was concerned about "over doing it" with apps. It's like a little kid at Christmas time. I can't wait for this thing to drop.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The theory of why the SD card slot is under the battery has something to do with apps being placed on the SD card in future releases as well. I don't know exactly why that has to do with it, but look for it to be a common trend in future releases of Android Phones.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The theory of why the SD card slot is under the battery has something to do with apps being placed on the SD card in future releases as well. I don't know exactly why that has to do with it, but look for it to be a common trend in future releases of Android Phones.

Because running apps from removable storage is silly :p

Seriously, if you have a partition on your SD card formatted and set up as a system partition, having the phone running without the SD card in place leads to certain (and many times unrecoverable) system failure. Set up with the card under the battery means you have to remove the battery to uninstall the card. I'd look for some new OS functions that will stop the system from booting without the correct SD card in the slot as well in upcoming releases.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira