First of all, Gingerbread. It took them, what six-seven months to get GB to Evo owners, and yet imo, the effort is still half baked. My 3G signal will die sometimes, though this may be because I'm in a roaming area. The rogue Voicemail app is starting to **** me off. I have cleared it so many times that i can't imagine. That and it keeps doing the Sense loading every time I exit an app or a menu.

Second, just seems that the Evo was poorly built. My charging port broke on my Evo, and I was able to get an advanced exchange for a refurbished one. Point is, I do not trust HTC devices especially after reading all the problems coming out of the T-Bolt.

Third, battery life. That's all that needs to be said right there, bub.

</vent>
    Buckeyes likes this.
    06-14-2011 02:25 AM
    See ya.
    06-14-2011 02:43 AM
    I can understand that. It is difficult to stay excited about a phone when you have so many problems with it.I have resigned to the fact that all smartphones are going to have issues. I will just have to wait for updates to fix them or deal with the bugs and hopefully, they won't greatly affect me.

May I ask what phone you are looking to go to?
    06-14-2011 07:14 AM
    Razor?
    06-14-2011 08:13 AM
    First of all, Gingerbread. It took them, what six-seven months to get GB to Evo owners, and yet imo, the effort is still half baked. My 3G signal will die sometimes, though this may be because I'm in a roaming area. The rogue Voicemail app is starting to **** me off. I have cleared it so many times that i can't imagine. That and it keeps doing the Sense loading every time I exit an app or a menu.

Second, just seems that the Evo was poorly built. My charging port broke on my Evo, and I was able to get an advanced exchange for a refurbished one. Point is, I do not trust HTC devices especially after reading all the problems coming out of the T-Bolt.

</vent>

Poorly built? Yikes. Apparently you were not a Palm Pre owner :-)
    mvpilot172 likes this.
    06-14-2011 08:16 AM
    First of all, Gingerbread. It took them, what six-seven months to get GB to Evo owners, and yet imo, the effort is still half baked.
    Well you do realize that the eVo got its 2.2 update around 7 months ago and the fact that the first official device to ship with 2.3(Nexus S) has only been out for just about a month now? As to it being half baked... what were you expecting a completely new look or a bunch of new bells and whistles?

The 2.3.3 gingerbread updated isn't a really big update. Think of it as more of a fine tuning of what 2.2 offered. There was a ton of comments just like yours when the eVo got its update from 2.1 to 2.2.

My 3G signal will die sometimes, though this may be because I'm in a roaming area.
    Have you made sure you have the most up to date radios, updated your prl and profile? Sprints service, though the cheapest isn't always the strongest in some areas. Hell I live in center city Philadelphia and get great service around town, but the minute I walk into my house... 1 to no bars. Called Sprint... got an Airave... problem fixed.

The rogue Voicemail app is starting to **** me off. I have cleared it so many times that i can't imagine. That and it keeps doing the Sense loading every time I exit an app or a menu.
    Well I most likely wont be much help here... both of these issues do seem to be affecting some users, but not the majority of users. For both issues, have you tried doing a factory rest? It sucks and if your not rooted your back up options are on the limited side. But from what I have read it has helped out a few.

Second, just seems that the Evo was poorly built. My charging port broke on my Evo, and I was able to get an advanced exchange for a refurbished one.
    Again I may not be much help here and I couldn't disagree with you more. I am on my launch day eVo(003) !!! And not one build quality issue yet. As a matter of fact IMO the eVo is the best built device I've owned sence my Treo 600.

I have seen the posts about how the USB port isn't exactly mount to what ever board its mounted to in the best manner. But again... I've had my eVo for over a year now and my USB port is rock solid.

Point is, I do not trust HTC devices especially after reading all the problems coming out of the T-Bolt.
    I don't really keep up on other carries devices, especially anything from Verizon, although the DX2 sparked a little curiosity. But weren't most of the T-Bolts issues software related and carrier related? I only know one person with a T-Bolt... and she loves it and hasn't had an issue yet. Well out side of LTE not being so magical(her words). And my wife has a eVo Shift and I would have to say that that little phone is probably one of the best designed and built slider type phones I've seen.

Hum.... this is a touchy subject at best. Before I rooted my eVo(over 9mths ago) I would get around 8 to 10 hours on a single charge. And that was with moderate use. I did keep my radios off until I needed them for web browsing and checking emails and such. But coming from a Pre(rooted and tweeked to death) I was well versed in radio control to make my battery last all day.

Now, rooted and running a 2.3.4 rom with the same radio control regament I get anywhere from 12 to 16 hours on one charge using the stock, year old battery that came with my eVo.

Not to mention, but you did say that you were in a less the good area for service. That alone will eat a batteries charge quite fast. Have you thought about seeing how other carries are in your area?

<counter rant>

Sent From The Tree House Out Back!
    06-14-2011 08:30 AM
    Very good points SouthPhilly.

I also had my Evo since launch day and haven't had a single issue with it. I've read where people have trouble with their usb port but what you don't see is how the phone was used when it had the usb in the port. Maybe that could solve a lot?

I have been rooted for 8 months and couldn't be happier. When on stock it took very little use to get to 12 hours. Now I play on it all day and get 18 hrs easy.
    06-14-2011 08:58 AM
    My launch day EVO lasted me till about 2 months ago. When i decided to switch to an EPIC.
    I read about all the problems with charging ports and luckily that never happened to me.
    Unfortunately when Sprint decided to start adding bloat ware i started to get good at rooting my device.
    06-14-2011 09:32 AM
    Thanks Smoke, the eVo is the first try HTC device I've owned and from the minute I got it into my hands I was overly impressed with it's build quality. I had both a Treo800w and TreoPro before I had my Pre and both of those devices were manufactured by HTC for Palm. The devices them selves were rock solid, the os... not so much. The Pre.... ya well, that's over so I won't get into that.

But you do raise a good point as to how some people treat their devices. Now I'm not saying that Miz miss treated his device or anything, but you never know. The year I did have the Pre I did only have to get a new one once. And that was cause of the whole battery being to loss thing.

The eVo is the first device in a long long time that I'm not itching for a new device to replace it. Being rooted, running a 2.3.4 GB rom, overclock at 1.2ghz and things like Gtalk with video working and great battery life. I don't feel anything out or coming out in the next few months is some much of and "better" upgrade, just more of a "just the latest device" type upgrade. If you know what I mean. The only devices on the horizon that has really pecked my interest are the Galaxy S2 and the Phantom 4g.

So till then I'm more than happy to be able to pull out my eVo, it dose everything I need it to and more.

But again to each his own.... right.

06-14-2011 09:55 AM
    Wow, I've had the occasional issue with the GB update, but didn't expect it to be perfect. But battery is ONE thing they sure got right. My battery is now lasting at least 50% longer than it was. I don't know what they did, but when the phone is sleeping it seems to be using virtually no battery!!

I went to work a couple of days ago and forgot my EVO sitting at home. I had just taken it off the charger so it was at as close to 100% as possible. Well, after that full day at work, an evening out and not getting home until about 1AM, my phone had say there for 18 hours and when I checked it was still at 84% (this is a stock battery). That is 1% per hour in sleep mode, I think that is amazing.
    06-14-2011 09:57 AM
    SouthPhilly i can 2nd your noting of the 800w and Treo Pro being great devices. I had those as well and they were rock solid. I sometimes miss my 800w. I realy liked they keyboard on it.
    My launch day EVO lasted me till a few months ago when i switched to an EPIC.
    Love being able to root and overlcock.
    06-14-2011 11:14 AM
    I'm still on my launch day Evo as well and it is a rock solid device.
    06-14-2011 11:59 AM
    First
    Second
    Third
    Good thing you were only going to tell us your primary reason... :P
    06-14-2011 12:48 PM
    To whomever asked, I am moving Nexus S. My Evo's charging port did burn out, but after givin retentions a call, I was able to get a replacement. I am not saying HTC doesn't make good phones, just that they have poor quality control.

And for the record, I know all about the Pre. Even Preware couldn't save that awful device from all the problems it had. Never again.

Well you do realize that the eVo got its 2.2 update around 7 months ago and the fact that the first official device to ship with 2.3(Nexus S) has only been out for just about a month now? As to it being half baked... what were you expecting a completely new look or a bunch of new bells and whistles?
    Actually, the Nexus S has been out on T-Mobile since December. Sprint just recently got it on their network. And no, I actually expected an update that was "stable" without my voicemail pinging every 5 minutes.

The 2.3.3 gingerbread updated isn't a really big update. Think of it as more of a fine tuning of what 2.2 offered. There was a ton of comments just like yours when the eVo got its update from 2.1 to 2.2.
    I hink you're misunderstanding me. I wasn't looking for extravagent new fetures or anythig. And if that's their idea of "fine tuning" then they really need a better quality control dept. All I am sayin is that they should've made the release more stable. I don't care about advaced bells and whistles. My phones does what it should do, that's all that's important to me.

Have you made sure you have the most up to date radios, updated your prl and profile? Sprints service, though the cheapest isn't always the strongest in some areas. Hell I live in center city Philadelphia and get great service around town, but the minute I walk into my house... 1 to no bars. Called Sprint... got an Airave... problem fixed.
    Depends. In the city, service is excellent. In the outer, more rural parts, my service is typically roaming off Verizon. But that's nt really my conern here though. And I've done all of that. I'll do it again just to be on the safe side.

Well I most likely wont be much help here... both of these issues do seem to be affecting some users, but not the majority of users. For both issues, have you tried doing a factory rest? It sucks and if your not rooted your back up options are on the limited side. But from what I have read it has helped out a few.
    No, I haven't rooted...yet. But I haven't tried a factory reset. It's not too big of a deal to warrant a factory reset.

Again I may not be much help here and I couldn't disagree with you more. I am on my launch day eVo(003) !!! And not one build quality issue yet. As a matter of fact IMO the eVo is the best built device I've owned sence my Treo 600.
    To be honest, that's not saying much. My Evo is built much better than the Pre, so that's quite easy to say in several ways. And I've always had it protected by a Ballistic or an Otterbox case. I prefer to have strong protection oer my phone.

I have seen the posts about how the USB port isn't exactly mount to what ever board its mounted to in the best manner. But again... I've had my eVo for over a year now and my USB port is rock solid.
    That's good. Glad it didn't happen to you. But it is a widely known issue and the fact that the Evo wasn't in stock in a lot of Sprint stores proves that point.

I don't really keep up on other carries devices, especially anything from Verizon, although the DX2 sparked a little curiosity. But weren't most of the T-Bolts issues software related and carrier related? I only know one person with a T-Bolt... and she loves it and hasn't had an issue yet. Well out side of LTE not being so magical(her words). And my wife has a eVo Shift and I would have to say that that little phone is probably one of the best designed and built slider type phones I've seen.
    Well some have said it's because of Verizon's network. But there's also been a few other issues as well, namely the poor battery life. I generally keep track on a lot of phones on other carrriers just in case. I like to be one step ahead should I have to terminate my Sprin contract.

Hum.... this is a touchy subject at best. Before I rooted my eVo(over 9mths ago) I would get around 8 to 10 hours on a single charge. And that was with moderate use. I did keep my radios off until I needed them for web browsing and checking emails and such. But coming from a Pre(rooted and tweeked to death) I was well versed in radio control to make my battery last all day.
    My motto is this - you should not have to root just to get better battery life and remove bloatware, and usually that's what it was. The bloatware and Sense used more battery life than anything plus apps running in the background.

Now, rooted and running a 2.3.4 rom with the same radio control regament I get anywhere from 12 to 16 hours on one charge using the stock, year old battery that came with my eVo.

Not to mention, but you did say that you were in a less the good area for service. That alone will eat a batteries charge quite fast. Have you thought about seeing how other carries are in your area?

<counter rant>

Well I have, but it's only temporary. My location gets a strong signal in town and the metro area has excellent coverage. It may not make much of a difference in the long run, but if I have to, I'll be going o T-Mobile.

[/counter-counter rant]
    06-15-2011 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD