Can't close Sense 2.3vs.2.2?,sense reset memory related?, App record after reset

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
HTC Evo, 2.3.3 just updated a the past weekend...

I recently discovered via this site how to turn Sense off by clearing the default in application management taking you back to the stock Android launcher. I think I checked this out just before doing the 2.3 update. Now, I cannot turn Sense off...see below.

Now after going through A LOT of time getting my phone in order after a factory data reset after the update due to Sense restarting over and over and thinking it was fixed, it's back to doing it.
I think it may be related to the amount of memory open. I used to be fine around 45 to 50mb with 2.2 Now and prior to the data reset but after the 2.3 update, it seems memory in the 60's and low 70's leads to a Sense reload. I wonder if something about 2.3 that I cannot figure out is using this or using more of it. I've done my best to reduce any unnecessary memory usage. I've also learned that the more apps you have, the more it kills memory. Some just can't be turned off even when background running isn't needed..grrr...
UPDATE: after this 2nd factory data reset and reinstall of apps and setup and so forth...I can confirm that I do not begin to have a Sense reload issue until my free memory (RAM) gets into the 60's. All was fine until I hit that - lots of apps and then the last few put it over the top so to speak and back in Sense reload consistency..

I'm going to do another data reset :mad:, but I thought I'd just finally stop using Sense and avoid the issue all together although I liked the interface. The constant reload just isn't worth it if I have to go lose efficiency on the phone or delete a bunch of apps that I use. I've reduced widget use as much as possible too.
So I went back to Application Mgmnt and find that there is now no way to clear defaults under HTC Sense. It means I CANNOT TURN SENSE OFF and got to the stock android. This was not the case before. Can anyone out there confirm that they are seeing the same thing - ie, 2.2 HTC Sense Default as home screen can be cleared to turn off but 2.3 cannot clear. Of note, this is if you only have Sense and no other launcher's installed.
I've done power off/on, restart, force stop of Sense, installed other launchers to set Sense to default to be able to clear defaults then uninstall other launchers only to find the same issue - still no Android launch vs. the others even by just backing out after clearing.
UPDATE: Still wondering about this...
I've checked into some other launchers and love what I've found with Go Launcher EX in particular (any # of screens!!!), but I'd still like to investigate the Android stock launcher. Also, I haven't had the reload issue when using Go so far.....

I'd appreciate the help.

Addt'l Notes: I've learned that Market does NOT have a record of your apps when you have to go back to install them - only the purchased ones. I've learned that reinstalling from back (non-rooted) does not show up as installed in the market. I've learned that APPBRAIN is the best way to go for this record and to then reinstall even if you have to ok each one...Then they show up in the market to...

Jec

Last edited:

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
First thing is there is only sence 1.0 for the evo they dis not upgrade the UI when the updated to android 2.3.3 so you should still he show to shut sence off but I am not tuning into the sence rebute issue

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
First thing is there is only sence 1.0 for the evo they dis not upgrade the UI when the updated to android 2.3.3 so you should still he show to shut sence off but I am not tuning into the sence rebute issue

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I'm not referring to a Sense version -just the Android OS version..I know that much...

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not able to clear defaults in sense either...if you want stock Android look, then download a gingerbread launcher from the market...you just won't get the gingerbread notifications bar it drawer

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
And you still have sense icons... But you still get a gb home screen lol sometimes I do wish I could get rid of sense completely