64k Colors?

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is correct that the EVO will have a 16bit (64k color) screen? This seems odd to me considering the Pre and iPhone both have 24bit screens and when you consider the other hardware in the EVO, a super high quality screen would have been included.

Source: HTC EVO 4G (Phone Arena)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if it does end up with a 16bit screen, it's because they just used the screen from the HD2 without changing anything, which kind of seems likely.

the pre and iphone (and everything else really) have smaller screens than the EVO/HD2...

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i believe the palm pre like the iphone and the new evo 4g, uses a Twisted nematic display which is an 6 bit (aka 18 bit) display which can display up to 262k colors if the full 18 bits are used. The pre uses dithering to achieve a fake 24 bit color res.

for more information on the display types see my post here http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/8779-htc-evo-why-no-amoled-3.html#post71227

Im an owner of a palm pre.

According to Phone arena, iPhone and Pre have 24bit, that is all I am saying. From the reviews I have read, people have said the EVO has an amazing screen. The stats just seemed off to me.

Thanks for the link though :)

Last edited:

vashx85

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
your welcome

hmm seems there is some differing information, wikipedia says the iphone has a 262k display (not that wikipedia is always rite either). What they may be saying is that its 24bit with dithering and the true colors are 16 bit or 18 bit. But if we knew the type of display with certainty for the iphone and the pre that would tell the "true" colors it is capable of displaying. The palm pre looks great as does the iphones screen.

I have owned the iphone 3g and still own a palm pre, and to me the palm pres screen looks much better than the the iphone 3g.

Im really curious to see what the evo 4g looks like when playing video. and a youtube of it playing video doesnt really work lol.

i did find this article comparing the nexus one to the iphone. The nexus one used a 16 bit display and the iphone an 18bit (which allows it to emulate 24bit)

Is the Nexus One?€™s display inferior to the iPhone?€™s? | CY.TALK News Blog

most phone lcds are 18 bit with dithering to emulate 24bits of colors, including most lcd monitors. even tho you can select 32bits, the lcds use dithering to achieve the effect. and no monitor actually displays 32 bits, they only display 24 bits and disregard the last 8 bits.

itll be interesting. if the evo4gs screen is like the nexus it wont look the best but wont look bad.

while people may have said the screen looked awesome, thats not very descriptive, how does it compare to other phones, are colors washed out during video playback, how are the white and black levels, color accuracy that type of thing.

What im saying tho is my expectations for this phones screen is that it should be better than my palm pre and at least better than the iphones screen. I mean it has so many other excellent qualitys lets not skimp on the screen lol.

Either way numbers dont always tell the full story, i mean technically my palm pre shows as many colors as the iphone but my palm pre looks much better.

Last edited:

Dexter505

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Colors are washed out during video and photo viewing. Awesome phone but poor quality screen. I kind of think a revision will be released eventually with a more up to date screen. 16 bit is 10 years ago.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Call me crazy (and some of you actually will), but I couldn't really see anything significantly worst on the EVO's screen from my Palm Pre (or iPhone for that matter). If anything, I'm loving the quality of photos and such I am getting out of this thing, maybe even more than my Pre.

As far as colors being washed out during video playback goes, I think it might be unique to yours as mine is simply brilliant. 16-bit vs. 24-bit has NOTHING to do with color accuracy, but the range of pallete that it can yield (meaning that more reds, green, yellow are present to provide better gradiance). Finally, who cares how sharp/accurate/vivid it is. It has no effect on what is actually captured and transferred to a site or computer. Get over it. The EVO, will never compare to your laptop/desktop/camcorder/camera... and it shouldn't. It is a phone after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol