Wifes EVO 4G bootloops after ~10mins using GPS (Google Navigation

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This is something thats only recently started happening with my wifes EVO 4G. She hasn't used GPS too much so I can't say for certain if the Gingerbread update caused this or not. But when she uses the Navigation software (google Nav, not the sprint one) her phone will go into a bootloop after about 10mins or so. The only way to stop it is to pull the battery, or let the phone just sit for a bit. It will eventually stop on its own. Her phone is a Hardware Revision 0003, running stock rom with the gingerbread update and the latest maintenance update that was released earlier this week. Not sure what version that is exactly, her phone is not near me right now. I've never experienced this on my EVO, but mine is rooted with CM7 so its not a good comparison. I should mention her phone is NOT rooted and never has been. I installed the battery widget monitor to track usage and heat. Her phone feels quite warm when it bootloops but it only shows as 102 F. My phone has gotten up to 107 F in the past and never had a problem. Her phone was not plugged into the charger while using GPS. It was running on battery only.

Her phone is still under warranty, so does this seem like a hardware problem? Anyone have this issue with the new update? Thanks!

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wifes EVO 4G bootloops after ~10mins using GPS (Google Naviga

This is something thats only recently started happening with my wifes EVO 4G. She hasn't used GPS too much so I can't say for certain if the Gingerbread update caused this or not. But when she uses the Navigation software (google Nav, not the sprint one) her phone will go into a bootloop after about 10mins or so. The only way to stop it is to pull the battery, or let the phone just sit for a bit. It will eventually stop on its own. Her phone is a Hardware Revision 0003, running stock rom with the gingerbread update and the latest maintenance update that was released earlier this week. Not sure what version that is exactly, her phone is not near me right now. I've never experienced this on my EVO, but mine is rooted with CM7 so its not a good comparison. I should mention her phone is NOT rooted and never has been. I installed the battery widget monitor to track usage and heat. Her phone feels quite warm when it bootloops but it only shows as 102 F. My phone has gotten up to 107 F in the past and never had a problem. Her phone was not plugged into the charger while using GPS. It was running on battery only.

Her phone is still under warranty, so does this seem like a hardware problem? Anyone have this issue with the new update? Thanks!
I've had exactly the same problem. It IS correlated with temperature. If I put the EVO in its windshield mount (which prevents heat from escaping from the back side of the EVO) in direct sun, I am guaranteed a boot loop within 30 minutes. If I put it next to the A/C vent, or if its night time, no boot loop. The temperature at failure is around 41 - 45˚C (106 - 113˚F). Nothing else on the device seems to fail at these temperatures, and if navigation isn't running there is no boot loop.

Also if I have the GPS on but I'm not in a navigation program, what will happen is that the GPS location service itself will fail, that is, it will lose my location and search endlessly without success for satellites even though there is an unobstructed view of the sky.

I had the problem with Froyo but it seems much worse with Gingerbread. The only solution I've found is to keep the EVO cool.

[I'm running hardware version 0003 and a stock rooted ROM with the latest update.]

Last edited:

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Very strange. As I said, not sure if this was an existing problem on the wifes EVO, she hardly ever used it, and it was for short stints. I can only tell from my personal experience with my EVO (again, rooted, CM7) that I have run Navigation for 4 straight hours, WITH the charger plugged in. Phone got quite hot, highest was 109 F. Was also in windshield mount in sunlight. Never rebooted. Never. And I have used GPS for long period many times without issues (on stock and CM7). Hell, my phone is even overclocked. 1.15ghz using SavagedZen kernal. If anything, I'd expect mine to bootloop, but nope, its the wifes. I just don't want to return for a refurb EVO (damn...i hate that....) only to face same issues.

orange72

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I have had the exact same experience just a few weeks ago with my Evo that I purchased in June 2010. It would go into a boot loop after 5-10 mins with GPS on and Google Maps on. It didn't need Google Navigation or be charging to start to go into a boot loop. I had the battery indicator app to monitor the heat, and like your wife's, it would boot whenever it gets into the low 100's.

I got fed up and went to the Sprint store to complain. My first trip there, it didn't boot loop with Neo running for 30 mins with all radios on. The tech told me that having the battery indicator and Lookout apps were bad for the battery. :confused: It was closing time when I left the store. I immediately tested it on the way home with those two apps removed. It booted within 3 mins.

I returned the next day to let them know it still was doing it. Prior to returning to the store, I did a factory reset then tested on the way to the store. It boot looped as usual. This time, the tech said it probably had a bad battery so a new one was shipped to me. Still boot looped. Back to the store I went. This time, they gave me a new phone/refurbed phone and it no longer boot loops.

Moral of the story, go to the Sprint store and complain enough and they might exchange your wife's Evo for another one. :)

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I had that problem with my release week EVO (Hardware 0003). I noticed it on a business trip the first week in November when I was using Sprint Navigation and it started the boot loop about 30min in to my 1.5hr drive. The battery pull was all I could do to stop it. It did it again on another business trip at the end of November. I was able to replicate the boot loop by running any data heavy app over 3G (i.e. Pandora, Navigation). I took it to a Sprint store and they reloaded the stock ROM. After that useless fix, I went to a different Sprint store, it boot looped on them and a week later (they had to wait for stock), I had a replacement EVO with the benefit that it was a brand new Hardware 0004 because the warehouse was out of refurbs. :D

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to take her phone to the sprint store tonight and get a replacement. I hope they can/will give me a brand new unit. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth that we buy a brand new device, but if we ever need warranty service, they give us a refurb unit....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1