old sprint nav .apk

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
anyone know where it might be found on the internet. it has the capability of looking for a business in a certain city. and pulling up the address. 1500 miles away.

telenave can find a business but only within my vicinity.

being a trucker. i need that access.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
thank you kind sir.

now all i need is a way to get it installed. i have 2 app installer programs. they both go through the motion. wait about 5 seconds then says it finished but not installed.

i've never had any problems installing other apks with those 2 programs.

i've just installed the latest 4.24 rooted GB. not the 4.22 first edition GB.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It installed just fine for me. What are you using to install them? I just use astro file manager. Also, I'm running CM 7.1 RC1. I'll try the stock GB rom and see what happens.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok So after playing with it for a few it recognizes the apk as a system app. That is why it won't install. I tired changing the permissions but it still wouldn't take.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
so what's the trick?

i think you're right. it's a system app that won't override the telenav app. or it's not the full .apk. something's missing.

i have the rooted deodexed gb 4.24

Last edited:

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried on the 4.24 rom. Used root explorer to remove the telnav and then tried to installed the apk as a new installment and still a no go. I pulled another apk from an older rom and if I get time tonight I'll flash back to the 4.24 and see if it will work. I'm not sure if it will or not.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks smokes.

i tried renaming to zip file. and installing zip from bootloader. got nothing.

my sister just got a new blackberry. wonder why they still have sprint. while we are forced with telenav.
funny thing though. she doesn't have that option on her sprint nav either. that i'm looking to get back.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I reached out to an ol' G of the evo forums (even though he is on a nexus 4g now) and he said to just to reboot. So after I flashed back and took off the telenav and put in the older nav. It said not installed like it was, I went ahead and rebooted and there it was. Located me but when I tried to get a route (didn't setup my wifi, just doing it with 3g) it gets hung on 99%. Haven't got a route yet and its been at least 4 minutes now.

Edit: Ok running off wifi now and it didn't take so long. Only took a minute if that. So my 3g is a little slow tonight.

Edit 2 :p:

To bring eveything to one post. This is what I did.

Used root explorer (you can use any file manager that will go into system files) to copy the old version and then go to system/app. Make sure you have read/write and not read/only by this point. Delete or rename the apk (just add something after .apk) and then paste. I set permissions to read all, write for user. Thats it. Reboot and there it was

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Also if you dont want to pay for the root explorer app, you can adb push it to system/app and reboot.

Just another reason to have adb set up :p
Cheers.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
ok, i did the root explorer method. copies and pasted into the system/app folder. rebooted the phone. still not there.

i did switch to read/write. i don't see an option for read/all.

i also have a sprint navigator.apk. does that need to be deleted?

i'm using a program called swiftp. makes looking at the phone easier. if you have a wireless router. you turn the phone wifi on. and your pc can connect to the phone just like an actual ftp websight on your computer.

after i rebooted the phone. i did look through root explorer and see that the sprint apk looks like the telenav icon.
so i'm guess telenav has to be removed to get the sprint installed?

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
nevermind. got her figured out.

THANKS GUYS.

too bad we can't run both. i'd be tempted to check out telenav.

i noticed that once the sprint was activated. it turned the file into the sprint navigator.apk. it no longer reads the sn28 name that it downloaded as. the actual telenav file also reads sprint navigator.apk. so it's one or the other.

i did change the telenav file to telenav navigator.apk. and reinstalled. it over rode sprint. no dice.

one or the other. so i'll keep the sprint. THANKS AGAIN.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got it working. After I re-read the instructions I notice I didn't specify to rename the Telenav so it wouldn't show up. A late night will cause that :p. Anyways glad to see you got it working!

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
BTW, if you want to search for someting in another city in Telenav, you just add the city to your search. For instance I'm in San Diego but I want to search for Tim Hortons in Grove City Ohio. I just put "tim hortons near grove city, oh" and it finds it.

If you want something more generic, you can search for something like "lodging near washington dc" and it brings up a list of lodging in that area.

The official way to do it isn't very clear and they cetainly could improve it. Here's what you do.

1. Start Telenav
2. Tap on Maps & Traffic
3. Hit the menu button on your phone
4. Tap on Change Location
5. Enter the city you want to look in.
6. At the bottom of the map tap the places icon (the little balloon looking thing)

Now it will search near that location.

If you go back to the main screen it will reset to your current location. You can also save cities to your favorites so they are easier to select when changing location. Also you will see them listed in recent places.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks nick. couple of extra steps. but that works. i can give that a test drive. if i don't like i can delete and have the sprint pop back up.

gps isn't perfect and i've actually had one time where it had no clue. routed me on the opposite side of the city and still couldn't find the actual street. thank goodnesss for sprint as a backup. people get cranky with there horns when a semi is blocking the street trying to find his way. LOL. and it only took sprint nav couple of seconds to punch in the address and route me

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I like the TeleNav app a lot better overall than the Sprint Nav app but as you can see, a few things are different and not so intuitive.

If you haven't already, I would suggest checking out the Online Maps, Find Your Location, and Driving Directions. site. You sign in with your phone number. The pin is the last 4 digits of your number. From there you can manage the saved addresses on your phone, search for locations and send them to the phone and also set up commute alerts without having to sign up for the Premium package from Sprint.

You also easily send addresses to TeleNav on your phone from google maps. Here are instructions: HOW TO: Send a Place to TeleNav GPS Navigator from Google Maps | TeleNav? Blog - Navigating Life

Last edited: