My EVO 4G got fried! :-(

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So there I was talking on my phone on the bluetooth headset, the phone was plugged in and charging (on a UPS, no less) and a lightning hit strikes my building or very very close by. The UPS didn't stop the spike, and everything else on one of my power strips is fried. TV, network switch, Comcast box, and my cellphone were all fried. The phone won't power on, and there's no lights when I plug it into a new charger. Dead. Finito. All data WAS recovered off the SD card, tho. ;-)

I've been happy with the EVO since day 1, more than a year ago and I didn't actually have any plans to upgrade until at least this winter, to see what new hot phones came out then. But now Sprint is telling me it's basically the same money to get a new HTC EVO 3D or a new EVO 4G. And from the threads out there, the 3D is closer to new root access than the 2.3.3 stock update on the 4G.

Supposed to go see a Sprint store rep in just over an hour.

My question to all my fellow android and EVO lovers out there is - would you recommend I just upgrade to the 3D, or deal with the 2.3.3 update on an EVO 4G until it's rooted?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The final decision really depends on you. However, upgrading is never a bad idea. In fact, the EVO 3D will still feel as if you have the same phone but double the pleasure. :-D

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
At this point in time, I'd get another Evo. That's just me. Our Evo3D units are falling apart at work and we've only had them 2 months or so. I finally got my paws on one (was on vacation when our sign up lists were going around at work) this week and it is missing the 2D/3D button. I also don't like the 3D screen...at all. I thought I would, but I don't. I'm sticking with the Evo until something spec'd like the 3D comes to Sprint like the Sensation.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The final decision really depends on you. However, upgrading is never a bad idea. In fact, the EVO 3D will still feel as if you have the same phone but double the pleasure. :-D

True dat. I wasn't sure the 3D had a front facing camera initially, but it does, so it makes it a much better option for me now. Looks like I'm upgrading, unless the issue just happens to be with the battery being fried and not the phone/power itself.

Wish me luck! :p

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
At this point in time, I'd get another Evo. That's just me. Our Evo3D units are falling apart at work and we've only had them 2 months or so. I finally got my paws on one (was on vacation when our sign up lists were going around at work) this week and it is missing the 2D/3D button. I also don't like the 3D screen...at all. I thought I would, but I don't. I'm sticking with the Evo until something spec'd like the 3D comes to Sprint like the Sensation.

Oh geez - I don't need to hear stories like this. :( I'm seeing one in the store in about an hour or so..

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh geez - I don't need to hear stories like this. :( I'm seeing one in the store in about an hour or so..

I'm pretty sure you'd be nicer to yours than we typically are. I baby my Evo, but not the test models as much. We get them for testing, (read: ideas to rip off down the road) but keep them and eventually one of us buys the test model for $50.00 or so. Not the 3D's though...none of us have bid on them which is surprising considering some of the crap that gets snatched up like it's filet mignon.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
play with both and go with your gut.

good luck.

p.s. be thankful that you weren't hit be lightning!

I did exactly that. Played with the 3D in the store while waiting, wasn't impressed with the 3D, and honestly didn't want or need the gimmick. Went with a replacement EVO (it has stock 2.3.3 which is better than the upgraded 2.3.3 according to the Sprint guys).

Thanks for Francisco at the 180 N. LaSalle store in Chicago for getting me in and out quick and making this a painless process.

And yeah, I was glad I wasn't hit by the lightning! ;-)

h-cubed

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Most UPS batter back ups offer some kind of guarantee against surges. I would definitely look into that. I know APC does. You just may have some money coming your way!

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
99.99999% of them don't protect or warranty against lightning...they claim to protect, but lightning is excluded from warranty

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

firedroidguy

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok so if lightning is excluded from the warranty of the UPS how about filing a claim with your homeowners/renters insurance to have them pick up the cost....

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
gb got root basically 3 days after i think.

3d however is still waiting for root. the best they've got so far is temporary root. which is lost once the phone is rebooted. and you have to temp root again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood