Alright...I've been doing the rounds with Sprint phones, and for goodness' sake...I'd like to find a phone (that works!) and keep it!

I originally had the Blackberry Tour 9630 (for 2 painful years). Upgraded to Samsung Galaxy SII - beautiful phone - that had major reception issues.

Returned that and decided to play it safe....upgraded to Blackberry Bold 9930 - and it had MAJOR issues.

Now, it's either the iPhone 4S (I've heard it has reception issues on Sprint, too) or the HTC Evo Design (not the original HTC Evo, as I want a newer model phone).

So...which do you recommend I upgrade to?
    01-24-2012 05:05 PM
    IMO the Motorola Photon 4G would be a good option, especially from the reception standpoint. Probably the best radio on Sprint (3G, I haven't been able to test 4G as it's not available in my area).
    01-24-2012 05:16 PM
    IMO the Motorola Photon 4G would be a good option, especially from the reception standpoint. Probably the best radio on Sprint (3G, I haven't been able to test 4G as it's not available in my area).
    Thanks, I'd consider it, except that I've read tons of stuff on it about the "sleep of death". Plus, I want a very new phone model, as Sprint has changed their once/year upgrade rule for Platinum members to once every 2 years - so I'll be stuck with whatever I get.
    01-24-2012 05:26 PM
    I would recomend Evo 3d. The phone has good speed as far as processor and good call reception. It also has good 4G reception however my OG Evo held a better Wifi signal and better speaker... But 3vo is on the cheap Woot Woot! Best (and last) wimax phone.
    01-24-2012 05:30 PM
    I would recomend Evo 3d.
    I understand why, but the 3D is practically 6 months old. I'd rather a newer model that's likely to get updates as they come out.

My options are:

HTC Evo Design

or

iPhone 4S
    01-24-2012 06:08 PM
    Here's a comparison of the HTC Evo Design vs the iPhone.
    01-24-2012 06:12 PM
    I would say get the EVO design the rewind being is that I have one and it is a great phone It's not small and I thought that the battery life would be horrible but It's not I get about a good 10 to 15 hours with heavy use and the camera is good also reception is just as good as the EVO 4g but I this It's better and with this phone I this I can whit till Sprint get there LTE out and a good HTC phone on there LTE network

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk
    01-25-2012 12:53 AM
    I would say get the EVO design the rewind being is that I have one and it is a great phone It's not small and I thought that the battery life would be horrible but It's not I get about a good 10 to 15 hours with heavy use and the camera is good also reception is just as good as the EVO 4g but I this It's better and with this phone I this I can whit till Sprint get there LTE out and a good HTC phone on there LTE network

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk
    Thanks...I ended up getting the iPhone. I saw the Design in person and it's very nice, but it is single-core processor and I want something faster. The iPhone, I'm used to because I own an iPad...but I must say, typing on a small touch screen is driving slightly batty. Will see if I'll keep it or not. If not, then I may move to the Design after all.
    01-25-2012 01:14 AM
    I have the evo design. I like it. Even though it doesn't have a dual processor, it is pretty fast. I did a lot of comparisons to the iphone 4s before I made my final decision. I like the android platform because of its versatility. So if you find the iphone 4s doesn't meet your need, you can't go wrong with the evo design.
    01-25-2012 09:33 AM
    I have the evo design. I like it. Even though it doesn't have a dual processor, it is pretty fast. I did a lot of comparisons to the iphone 4s before I made my final decision. I like the android platform because of its versatility. So if you find the iphone 4s doesn't meet your need, you can't go wrong with the evo design.
    Thanks.

I'm starting to think, it's really Sprint that's the issue here. My iPhone is nice - it doesn't blow me away (maybe because I have the iPad, so I'm used to all the bells/whistles), but as long a I'm connected to Wifi, my phone is fine. I can also get/receive calls okay. The camera on it - while it's supposed to be, what, 8MP - is not so great if you do self-photos. Go figure.

BUT, heaven forbid there is no Wifi connection - and that happens often enough when out/about on the street, in certain buildings, etc. Then basically, the phone is a dead weight because 3G does NOTHING.

I had a similar issue with the Galaxy SII - well, except that one didn't even ring calls through to my phone, so that worse. But if it wasn't on Wifi, the data speeds on 3G were ridiculous.

My BBerry (the trusty Tour) seemed fine on 3G all along. Is it that Sprint's network can't handle newer phones?

Now I'm not sure WHAT to do. I'm starting to think...the phone brand will not make much of a difference, when the data speeds suck on SPRINT.
    01-27-2012 03:55 PM
    Well the Evo Design has WiMax, so data speeds would be faster than an iPhone. But Sprint 3g is slow network compared to T-mobile and at&t 3g. I don't have any speed problems with 3g on my design, it is fast enough. Then again I don't really do a lot of heavy data use on the phone.
    01-27-2012 06:30 PM
    I agree that the Photon was probably the phone for you.
    Radios are superb, and that sleep issue you read about is long gone - fixed with a software update last summer.
    I have found the Evo 3d to be decent too, but the Photon camera is far nicer and battery last a LOT longer.
    02-03-2012 12:45 AM
    I agree that the Photon was probably the phone for you.
    Radios are superb, and that sleep issue you read about is long gone - fixed with a software update last summer.
    I have found the Evo 3d to be decent too, but the Photon camera is far nicer and battery last a LOT longer.
    Thanks! Really good to know, as that might be my next phone (Photon).

I didn't realize the "sleep of death" issue was resolved, though..
    02-03-2012 01:34 AM
    I was eyeing the Design when I was on Sprint, but I didn't want to stay on their network
    02-03-2012 03:23 AM
    Alright...I've been doing the rounds with Sprint phones, and for goodness' sake...I'd like to find a phone (that works!) and keep it!

I originally had the Blackberry Tour 9630 (for 2 painful years). Upgraded to Samsung Galaxy SII - beautiful phone - that had major reception issues.

Returned that and decided to play it safe....upgraded to Blackberry Bold 9930 - and it had MAJOR issues.

Now, it's either the iPhone 4S (I've heard it has reception issues on Sprint, too) or the HTC Evo Design (not the original HTC Evo, as I want a newer model phone).

So...which do you recommend I upgrade to?
    Why not get the samsung galaxy s II epic touch? I mean dont get me wrong the evo design 4g is ok but eh even the iphone 4s runs better then the evo design but if your not a iphone fan atleast go for something thats a bit new gen
    02-03-2012 07:35 PM
    Why not get the samsung galaxy s II epic touch? I mean dont get me wrong the evo design 4g is ok but eh even the iphone 4s runs better then the evo design but if your not a iphone fan atleast go for something thats a bit new gen
    I had that phone. It constantly had radio signal issues. Samsung acknowledged this back in October and promised people a fix within 1-2 weeks. It's now Feb., and no updates (to fix that issue) have come through. Besides, a patch likely wouldn't work, as it is the actual antenna that's problematic.

Thanks for the idea, though.
    02-04-2012 04:09 AM
    I had that phone. It constantly had radio signal issues. Samsung acknowledged this back in October and promised people a fix within 1-2 weeks. It's now Feb., and no updates (to fix that issue) have come through. Besides, a patch likely wouldn't work, as it is the actual antenna that's problematic.

Thanks for the idea, though.
    If you're talking about the LOS when the phone initially came out, they did update it to help get rid of that issue as far as I've heard and seen. I've had the phone for a little over a month now and it's always worked perfectly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-04-2012 04:18 AM
    I have an Evo 4g original I live about an hour outside pittsburgh no 4g tower unless I travel to the city but ,3g works fine however on wifi its faster so I believe our problem is sprints network...... It sucks ... I really can't wait to jump ship unless something drastic happens til then but I dought it...... I hope they do because the plans are great as far as everything unlimited alot cheaper than verizon an at&t......
    02-11-2012 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD