Cyanogenmod for Design (COMING SOON)

tiin

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of searching for Cyanogenmod for the Design, but it's a great phone, so I'm porting CM9 for the HTC HD2 to the Design. I'm in the process of testing a pre-alpha build, and as soon as I've got it booting properly, with wifi and 3G working, I'll post a download link. I have also begun work on porting CM9 for the Evo 4G.

It uses the stock kernel, so thanks to HTC for that, and Cyanogenmod, so thanks, CM team. Please post for suggestions for apps to include or modifications to make.

-Changelog-
0.1.2: New port method gave me an install but a boot into the old OS. Uploaded.
0.1.1: Still giving me build.prop errors even though I thought I fixed it. Uploaded.
0.1.0: Created and not installing. I was dumb and forgot to edit the build.prop.

CM9 0.1.2 is up now! It's still dev only. The downloads for both versions of CM9 will be kept current. If you want an earlier build, PM me.
http://d-h.st/5ez

NOTE: If you want to visit the website at later dates for guides and such, you can. I am putting all information and downloads for Kingdom CM9 on this thread.

The current issue is that after it installs (which goes fine), it boots into the old ROM (which happens to be the leaked Boost Mobile ROM; thanks to Joshua.worth for that!). The adb server doesn't start until the old ROM boots, so I can't logcat it. I'm going to make a separate split-off of the CM9 work, which will (until a proper boot) be 0.x.xa. This line of inquiry will be work on the unofficial OG Evo (Supersonic) CM9 port. Again, it will be based off of the leaked Boost Mobile ICS ROM for the Design.

Edit: I am currently in limbo, as my computer has decided it didn't like my CPU. I now have to wait until my new processor ships. Should be a few days.

Last edited:

tiin

May 27, 2012
Visit site
It's good that you're willing to test, but I'm hitting some repeating errors with CM7 and Sense, so don't hold your breath. If I work on it a few hours a day, it ought to be ready by late June. If any developers want to help me out on this, I'd be more than happy to upload the current build of CM7 (as that is my eventual goal) for "proofreading".

o14726

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried to root my HTC EVO Design 4G for a customer of mine and I have a problem. I was able to root it, but it appears that the 3G service no longer works. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could get the mobile network reconnected?
Please please let me know.
Thanks,
o14726

tiin

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried to root my HTC EVO Design 4G for a customer of mine and I have a problem. I was able to root it, but it appears that the 3G service no longer works. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could get the mobile network reconnected?
Please please let me know.
Thanks,
o14726

You may want to check the back cover. If that is disconnected, no wireless signals can be received. Also, did you do anything besides unlocking the bootloader and rooting it?

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
It's good that you're willing to test, but I'm hitting some repeating errors with CM7 and Sense, so don't hold your breath. If I work on it a few hours a day, it ought to be ready by late June. If any developers want to help me out on this, I'd be more than happy to upload the current build of CM7 (as that is my eventual goal) for "proofreading".

Wouldn't CM9 be the more prudent route for you to focus on? No doubt you'd receive more donations and you'd be doing something that's not already 1 1/2 years old. Just a suggestion hopefully its not offensive.

HTC Hero S ICS 4.0.3

tiin

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't CM9 be the more prudent route for you to focus on? No doubt you'd receive more donations and you'd be doing something that's not already 1 1/2 years old. Just a suggestion hopefully its not offensive.

I am actually working on the HTC HD2 (or Leo) CM9 ROM, but I'm having little success, and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up for CM9 until I got a working ROM. I actually got on to edit my original post, but here it is:

I have the HD2 CM9 ROM (the HD2 is very similar in hardware to the Design, that's why I'm using it) and am starting the real porting work today. Version 0.1.1 is currently building as I type and I will have updates within the hour. I am porting using the ICS for Evo Design found here. Thanks to joshua.worth for bringing that ROM to my attention.

Merrick ap'Milandra

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I am actually working on the HTC HD2 (or Leo) CM9 ROM, but I'm having little success, and I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up for CM9 until I got a working ROM. I actually got on to edit my original post, but here it is:

I have the HD2 CM9 ROM (the HD2 is very similar in hardware to the Design, that's why I'm using it) and am starting the real porting work today. Version 0.1.1 is currently building as I type and I will have updates within the hour. I am porting using the ICS for Evo Design found here. Thanks to joshua.worth for bringing that ROM to my attention.

Can you confirm that this worked on your Evo Design 4G?

Everything I've read over the past week has stated that nothing is working.

Are you having any difficulties? Did anything stop working?

What exact steps did you take, in detail?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm completely new to this.

I'm currently on an Evo Design 4G running:

2.12.651.8 710RD
sense 3.0
droid 2.3.4
PRI 2.97_003
PRL 52084

I followed the steps here and unlocked my bootloader with the Unlock_code.bin I was sent, but I've done nothing else and don't particularly KNOW how to do anything else, so help in great detail would be appreciated, specifically as it applies to the design 4g.

tiin

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm that this worked on your Evo Design 4G?

Everything I've read over the past week has stated that nothing is working.

Are you having any difficulties? Did anything stop working?

What exact steps did you take, in detail?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm completely new to this.

I'm currently on an Evo Design 4G running:

2.12.651.8 710RD
sense 3.0
droid 2.3.4
PRI 2.97_003
PRL 52084

I followed the steps here and unlocked my bootloader with the Unlock_code.bin I was sent, but I've done nothing else and don't particularly KNOW how to do anything else, so help in great detail would be appreciated, specifically as it applies to the design 4g.

Ok. Wow. First off- No, neither CM9 or ICS Sense are currently booting on my device. Where have you read that nothing is working? I have indeed been saying that it will not work on my device on this forum, but that would answer your first question...

If you want detail, you want approximately twelve hours typed out. The gist of it is, I screwed up a lot, but I am getting closer to a working build with every hour. The questions are no problem, but they're a bit vague and I'm not sure if I answered them correctly. Oh, yes, and nothing stopped working, because nothing ever started working. :) To root the Evo Design (your next step), you have to acquire an Evo Design RUU for 1.19, since that is the latest version that has been rooted.

On a different topic, my computer crashed and I had to reset it. I'm currently in the process of repairing my kitchen so I might cook up Cyanogenmod 9.

Merrick ap'Milandra

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Wow. First off- No, neither CM9 or ICS Sense are currently booting on my device. Where have you read that nothing is working? I have indeed been saying that it will not work on my device on this forum, but that would answer your first question...

If you want detail, you want approximately twelve hours typed out. The gist of it is, I screwed up a lot, but I am getting closer to a working build with every hour. The questions are no problem, but they're a bit vague and I'm not sure if I answered them correctly. Oh, yes, and nothing stopped working, because nothing ever started working. :) To root the Evo Design (your next step), you have to acquire an Evo Design RUU for 1.19, since that is the latest version that has been rooted.

On a different topic, my computer crashed and I had to reset it. I'm currently in the process of repairing my kitchen so I might cook up Cyanogenmod 9.

Ah. Marvelous. That answered all of my questions and only left me with one new one!

For clarification, What I'm seeing with regards to nothing working, that would be anything that roots the version of HTC Software my phone came with due to it being updated. All of the previous root options are apparently "worthless" on 2.12.651.8 710RD from what I've read.

That leads me to my question:

Where would I obtain a 1.19 RUU?

Thanks so much :D

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually, you don't need the ruu. I've gotten replacement designs from sprint (due to hardware issues) that came with the update

All you need to do is unlock bootloader (which I believe you have done already), then flash recovery through fastboot. After that flash the su binary zip in recovery.

Sent from my rooted htc evo design 4G using Tapatalk

tiin

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Find a ClockworkMod recovery for the Design (there is one out there, I just don't have it at the moment), download it, rename it to PH44IMG.zip and put it in your SD card. Enter fastboot, then hboot. It'll scan and find ClockworkMod, then install it.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Download 2fast's custom cwm (clockworkmod) recovery. Sorry, I don't have a link. You'll just have to google it. Place that recovery image in the same folder as fastboot and adb

Next download the superuser .zip file (again, google it). Place that on the root of your sd card.

Next, Using the same method as you did when you unlocked bootloader, instead of typing ? fastboot oem get ....etc?, type

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

now you have recovery. In the recovery menu, select install update from sd card, then choose from sd card. Find the superuser zip file, then select yes. Scroll using the volume buttons and select with the power button.

I highly recommend making a backup before rebooting your phone (just in case)

Happy Rooting :D

Reactions: ki77en

Merrick ap'Milandra

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Download 2fast's custom cwm (clockworkmod) recovery. Sorry, I don't have a link. You'll just have to google it. Place that recovery image in the same folder as fastboot and adb

Next download the superuser .zip file (again, google it). Place that on the root of your sd card.

Next, Using the same method as you did when you unlocked bootloader, instead of typing ? fastboot oem get ....etc?, type

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

now you have recovery. In the recovery menu, select install update from sd card, then choose from sd card. Find the superuser zip file, then select yes. Scroll using the volume buttons and select with the power button.

I highly recommend making a backup before rebooting your phone (just in case)

Happy Rooting :D

AWESOME. You rock!
I'm totally trying this over the weekend.
Thank you so much for writing instructions I can follow. I'm plenty comfortable flashing routers, however I'm still a tad nervous about phones.

Despite plenty of years in IT this is the first time I've had an employer-provided cell phone AND permission to do whatever I want with it and since I've never particularly felt like paying for one out of pocket just so more people can get ahold of me, I'm far behind the times with smartphones, so I truly appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.

I also like monospaced fonts, IRC, my meerschaum tobacco pipes, 4:3 monitors, and have an actual cassette deck, factory installed in my Buick. :p

Sorry about the wait; 0.1.2 is now uploaded at Nechalon.

Do you want extra hosting space for a mirror?

I have unlimited domains/sub-domains, unlimited users, etc etc, and a decent datacenter pipe coming out of a host in california so I could easily set you up a webfacing folder with an FTP/shell account at no cost to you, if you like, so long as you promised not to host anything copyrighted that you don't own the copyright to.

I think I'm sitting at 79gb of space and 3 TB/month of bandwidth and only using 4% and <1% of each, respectively.

I've been with this company since 2004 and have no plans to change, so if you want somewhere else to ftp your stuff. You'd have to do the actual FTP'ing yourself when a new release came out, but I'm never going to use that amount of bandwidth on a shared server because nothing I'd use that much for would ever get put on shared hosting, so if you want to use some, send me a PM on the boards here and I'll set you up with an account.

If you want to round-robin, I have DNS access on the panel.

Let me know, also, thanks for your work, I'll let you know how it works out in precise terms. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12