Guide: Rooting Your Evo Design...The Saga Continues

Mark_Pike

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Can you please help me as well? I can get google talk - I'm trying to root my EVO 4G 2.3.5. I've been successful unlocking the phone and backing up using the command prompts but when I try to flash the Super File - I can't find it on my SD card in recovery mode on phone however when i look at my SD card on my computer I can see the file. Please help!!! Thanks

Mark

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Evo Design 4G or the original Evo 4G?

There's also the Evo 4G LTE. Which one of these phones do you have? The files and steps posted in this thread are for the Evo Design ONLY. They will not work on another phone.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

krakkerjakk

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
First-Thank you for the instructions on the design. I've decided to perform the GB downgrade due to ICS running slow as ---! Everything working good until... wiping system. I may have overlooked something in the recovery. Found data & cache-not system. also when opening CMD and looking for "mount/sdcard" it will not find. Please help as I'm extremely excited to get this all to work. Thx Again!

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
for those who can't get the mount /sdcard to work, here is what lolinternet had me do and it worked for me. Don't hold me or him accountable if something goes wrong LOL
Before starting the process, make a restore point.

-select recovery from hboot. (the text on the phone should be blue)
-wipe data/factory reset (scroll down and select YES)
-wipe cache
-select wipe dalvik cache.
-when done scroll down and select go back to go to the previous screen.
-select mounts and storage.
-scroll down and select format system.
-select mount sdcard

from now on, follow his post instructions

Last edited:

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
for those who can't get the mount /sdcard to work, here is what lolinternet had me do and it worked for me. Don't hold me or him accountable if something goes wrong LOL

-wipe cache
-select mount sdcard

Also, the option to wipe dalvik cache is under the advanced option on the main menu. It's not an essential step, but I do it to be thorough. I wipe cache and dalvik cache every couple days to keep my phone snappy. If you don't, you'll eventually notice a little lag because the cache keeps building eating up memory. It's also important to note that anytime you wipe dalvik cache it will take longer to boot when you finally reboot to system so be patient.

And, the mount /sdcard command has a space between mount and /sdcard. If you forget the space the command will not be recognized.

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

-wipe cache
-select mount sdcard

Did this. Now my phone will not boot. I get to the white screen HTC logo and it hangs. Lolinternet said it would take longer to boot. I'm going on 20 minutes with it hanging. Is this normal?

Update. I was able to restore my restore point that I created and the phone works. Trying to do gingerbread now.

Last edited:

krakkerjakk

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
lolinternet, thx, took a bit and figured it out. Once I wiped everything and mounted sdcard, ran the command prompt "mount /sdcard" says it wasnt finding anything I justed kept going with the next prompt in order, waited and voila, back to GB. Thought updated system after reboot was going to re-install ICS-freaked but know worries all is good. Now trying root! Thank you so much for time and links-everyone:)

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
No, 20 minutes isn't normal. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes tops. Usually, takes about two or three.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Did this. Now my phone will not boot. I get to the white screen HTC logo and it hangs. Lolinternet said it would take longer to boot. I'm going on 20 minutes with it hanging. Is this normal?

Update. I was able to restore my restore point that I created and the phone works. Trying to do gingerbread now.

Do you have USB Debugging checked under Settings > Applications > Development? You must have USB Debugging enabled to use adb and fastboot in command prompt.

Also, when you flash system.img with the dd command it will take a while. You shouldn't move on to the next step until you get a message in command prompt that tells you how long it took to write that file. It takes about five minutes. recovery_signed.img and boot_signed.img will both give you a message that says how long it took to write them as well, but they're small files so it shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Also, you can not skip relocking your bootloader. As I understand it, it must be relocked or else your phone won't boot.

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok cool. Ill try this again later as I have some friends rolling over. I would suggest panda alters his post demanding that the user make a restore point because that saved my phone.

You HAVE to relock your boot before you try gingerbread?

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok cool. Ill try this again later as I have some friends rolling over. I would suggest panda alters his post demanding that the user make a restore point because that saved my phone.

You HAVE to relock your boot before you try gingerbread?

Yes. The bootloader must be relocked with the command "fasboot oem lock" or it will not reboot to system.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
If your bootloader is unlocked and your phone is rooted you couldn't update even if you tried to accept the ota. Bootloader has to be locked as far as I understand it.

There isn't a way to keep your phone from notifying you about the update, but if you hold power and select restart your phone will clear temporary files and the ota notification with it. You have to download the ota first but don't install it, though. Then restart. Sometimes, you'll have to restart twice, but it'll clear for a while. Eventually, it'll come back. Nothing you can do about it.

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Big shoutout to Mr Lolinternets....He helped talk me through my drunken insanity and got GB on my phone. Also I gave him 10 dollars. Just saying...

dpfaz59

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU!
I was beginning to think I would never get my phone rooted! There is only one main reason I wanted to root it, and that was to rename the shutter sound file. I like to use my phone to make time-lapse photo sequences, and after the ICS update, you can't turn off the loud and obnoxious shutter sound. I haven't tried renaming it yet, and may need to install the chmod command to do it, but now I know it can be done, thanks to you!

Edit: Got rid of the camera click!
http://www.whatsthelatest.net/how-to/disable-camera-shutter-sound-android-40/

:cool:

Last edited:

Custnam

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Just wanna say thanks for this. Just switched from Sprint and the EVO 3D, to Boosts EVO Design and so far so good. Rooted, with TWRP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome