Evo Shift Gingerbread (2.3.3) temp root achieved

juggaloespada

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Basically you'll be able to use apps that require root access. So you'll be able to do things like wireless tether, take screen shots and freeze bloat.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
im still new to rooting so can you explain how to do this? i know its done in cmd on windows so do i just enter the commands found on the website mentioned? i already downloaded fre3evo, su 3.0 alpha7 and superuser3-beta1.apk

also im mainly rooting to use the wireless hotspot and removed unwanted stuffs on my phone

Last edited:

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
im still new to rooting so can you explain how to do this? i know its done in cmd on windows so do i just enter the commands found on the website mentioned? i already downloaded fre3evo, su 3.0 alpha7 and superuser3-beta1.apk

also im mainly rooting to use the wireless hotspot and removed unwanted stuffs on my phone

Like the thread says, you need Android SDK installed on your computer and some knowledge of ADB.

Here's a good start on how to set up SDK and ADB Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and ADB (Updated 3/5/11).

You can pretty much disregard the part about using visionary or Z4, that's for the Froyo root method. Once you get that set up, you'll be ready to navigate to your ADB folder and enter the commands that are posted. I mentioned in my original post that I'm not writing a how to, mainly because I'm already fully rooted and have never done this. But if you have any questions feel free to ask, either here (I'll do the best I can to help) or in the original thread... folks here and over a XDA are generally nice and are willing to help new users, so don't be afraid to ask questions :cool:

Just a side note - The key to any rooting is to read, read, read.. get yourself familiarized with the rooting process and what's involved.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
One of these days Im going to have time to perform this. I have been missing free wifi tether something fierce but time is at a premium these days.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
One of these days Im going to have time to perform this. I have been missing free wifi tether something fierce but time is at a premium these days.

I know the feeling.. But if your familiar with and already have adb set up, the process shouldn't take very long.

Last edited:

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
So when permanent root is available, you will be able to reboot and still be rooted, I'm assuming?

Any idea when that would be?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So when permanent root is available, you will be able to reboot and still be rooted, I'm assuming?

Any idea when that would be?

Perm root will give you s-off and full root, so any changes will stick after reboot. No real eta on root though. There's several people over at XDA that have tried to find a way to flash the eng bootloader, but no one has had any luck. I'm sure root will be found, just can't put a time frame on it. Best case scenario the Shift gets supported by Revolutionary.

Reactions: jjeffcoat

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
ok i am fairly new at rooting, and have only rooted one device, the htc thunderbolt... so can someone please tell me what the difference is between a temp root and a perm root? like how does a temp root become unrooted? by rebooting? and is it possible to brick with a temp root? thanks in advance.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
ok i am fairly new at rooting, and have only rooted one device, the htc thunderbolt... so can someone please tell me what the difference is between a temp root and a perm root? like how does a temp root become unrooted? by rebooting? and is it possible to brick with a temp root? thanks in advance.

Temp root will only give you temporary root access. You can remove, view and alter the system but all changes will be lost after the phone is rebooted. Permanent root with s-off allows root access and all system changes to stick. It also gives you the ability to flash recovery, ROMs and kernels. There's always a chance of "bricking" your phone when you hack into it but the chances are very low. You usually able to recover from a soft brick. A true brick is when the phone cannot be recovered, this is usually a result from flashing a corrupt radio or something that wasn't intended for that particular device.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
New to this so any bloatware I remove will be back after a restart?

From what I understand, if you use titanium backup to remove bloat then they will be repopulate once the phone is rebooted. The best way to handle bloat with temp root is use titanium backup to freeze the apps. This will not remove them from your system but it will completely stop them from running. They also will no longer be visible. If you freeze the apps they should stay hidden/disabled after reboot... And there's always the option to unfreeze. This is probably a safer method than removing the apps since you won't have access to recovery.

Reactions: firefly09111981

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34