Noob Alert! I have rooting/flash questions.

fauxsheux

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
First off, thanks to all who take the time to read and reply to this thread.

I am not a computer noob at all, but when it comes to mobile o/s stuff I am kind of new to the scene, please hang with me.

I am using an Evo Shift on Sprint obviously and I am also updated to 2.3.3 Gingerbread. I would like to gather my options on rooting my phone. I understand that this isn't really possible right now, and I have tried the Gingerbreak method to no avail. My purpose for gaining root access is simple, I want to use my phone to it's fullest extent.

That being said, is my best route to flash to another rom, like Cyanogen and then root that mod?

If this is recommended can someone please link me some novice-friendly info? My biggest concern is that I first want to make sure I can run Cyanogen or another recommended mod in order to obtain root access. I don't expect anyone to type out a guide for me, maybe just some advice?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
First off, thanks to all who take the time to read and reply to this thread.

I am not a computer noob at all, but when it comes to mobile o/s stuff I am kind of new to the scene, please hang with me.

I am using an Evo Shift on Sprint obviously and I am also updated to 2.3.3 Gingerbread. I would like to gather my options on rooting my phone. I understand that this isn't really possible right now, and I have tried the Gingerbreak method to no avail. My purpose for gaining root access is simple, I want to use my phone to it's fullest extent.

That being said, is my best route to flash to another rom, like Cyanogen and then root that mod?

If this is recommended can someone please link me some novice-friendly info? My biggest concern is that I first want to make sure I can run Cyanogen or another recommended mod in order to obtain root access. I don't expect anyone to type out a guide for me, maybe just some advice?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

You can't flash any custom ROMs until you have full root access and custom recovery. Neither one of these are yet available for the Shift running Gingerbread. There's a temp root method available but it only gives you temporary root access and will be lost once the phone is rebooted. You can find the temp root here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=Sent You'll need to set up sdk and adb before you can use this method. Scroll down the here in the shift rooting forum for a beginners guide to Settings up adb and sdk.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: fauxsheux

fauxsheux

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Crump. I did go over that thread some but I am thinking that a perma-root would be the way to go. I guess I should just sit on my hands until something stable and tested is available.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
You don't need root to flash a ROM. You only need s-off. You need root for other things. While many methods combine the two into one batch file or process, s-off and root are two different animals with totally different purposes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar