How to root my phone?

Tormidal

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I really really want to root my phone, but I cant find out how.

Im using a Sprint HTC EVO Shift 4G.

Ive tried:

Temp root from z4

temp root from VISIONary+

PermRoot from Gingerbreak.

Help?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I posted this yesterday in this same forum section.

The key to rooting for the first time, or anytime for that matter, is to read, read, read.. Basically what your going to need to do is, temproot > push the misc.img to exploit your hboot > run the RUU back to froyo (which will downgrade your hboot) > then root using the Froyo method.

First you need to setup sdk and adb. There's other guides but this should help Beginner's Guide to Installing the SDK and Getting Started with ADB - xda-developers

Here's the thread for downgrading Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers Read through that thread and the links provided in the thread.. Once you have downgraded, you'll use the Froyo method.

This is definitely a long process for rooting but it shouldn't be that difficult. The main thing is to read and follow instructions. Also, if you search through xda general forum you'll find there are a couple scripts for easier temp rooting.

Hope this helped a little and good luck.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Tormidal

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but that's not helpful. All the temproots I try never give me the Su app.
I've done gingerbreak, z4, and visionary. And I left them all up for about twenty minutes. All I really want is just a temproot, like a tethered jailbreak.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but that's not helpful. All the temproots I try never give me the Su app.
I've done gingerbreak, z4, and visionary. And I left them all up for about twenty minutes. All I really want is just a temproot, like a tethered jailbreak.

Ok, maybe you did read the first part of my post where is says - Read, Read, Read-

You don't use Gingerbreak, Visionary or Z4... I'll post it agian.. READ THIS THREAD Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers

It will have links to temp root, which is needed first. Then how to exploit your Hboot, which will allow you to RUU. Then links to root using the Froyo method. This is the only way to achieve root if your running Gingerbread. Basically you have to roll back to Froyo, then root. After you root Froyo you can use any custom Gingerbread ROM you like.

If your only looking to temp root, you have to follow this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1185243

Tormidal

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, maybe you did read the first part of my post where is says - Read, Read, Read-

You don't use Gingerbreak, Visionary or Z4... I'll post it agian.. READ THIS THREAD Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers

It will have links to temp root, which is needed first. Then how to exploit your Hboot, which will allow you to RUU. Then links to root using the Froyo method. This is the only way to achieve root if your running Gingerbread. Basically you have to roll back to Froyo, then root. After you root Froyo you can use any custom Gingerbread ROM you like.

If your only looking to temp root, you have to follow this guide EVO Shift Temp Root for 2.3.3 and HBoot Downgrade - xda-developers

Thanks Crump. :p

Getting an error when I try any adb commands though.

"error: device not found"

Would that be caused by having this under Device Manager?
97d0a1b55e03476e5c7eee76ae2d5e21.png

?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet