trying to root my shift

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
so i guess there is no way to root the shift ??

Yes, you can root your Shift... I recently had to ruu to 2.3.3 and take mine in for repairs. Got back home and had it rooted within the hour.

Steps you need to take:

1. Temp root using fr3vo
2. Exploit the hboot with the misc.img
3. Downgrade using the RUU zip or exe
4. Root using the froyo method

CD82

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
ok i got passed that

i tried using RUU and it would not work said it wouldnt upgrade. didnt give me an option to downgrade. so i tried using the PG06IMG.zip method

once i copied it to the sd card on the phone i typed adb reboot recovery and unplugged the device an the screen went blank. phone restarted an i got an image of a phone with a red triangle waited about 20 mins. nothing happend so i pulld battery and im back to square one still at 2.3.3

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
ok i got passed that

i tried using RUU and it would not work said it wouldnt upgrade. didnt give me an option to downgrade. so i tried using the PG06IMG.zip method

once i copied it to the sd card on the phone i typed adb reboot recovery and unplugged the device an the screen went blank. phone restarted an i got an image of a phone with a red triangle waited about 20 mins. nothing happend so i pulld battery and im back to square one still at 2.3.3

After you temp root you have to push the misc.img, this will exploit the hboot and allow the downgrade. Once you've done that boot into hboot by powering down the device, then hold power and volume down until it boots into bootloader. If you put the PG06IMG.zip on the root of your SDcard, it should do a couple of checks then ask if you want to update. If you get into hboot and you have the zip on your sd card and your getting 'no image wrong image' and it never gives the option to update then your sd card needs to be formatted to fat32 (this will erase everything on the sd so be sure and back it up) Or you can run the RUU exe from your pc.

The red triangle that your talking about is the stock recovery, there's no need to try and go into recovery until after you have successfully rooted and flashed a custom recovery.

From what you described it sounds like you didn't successfully push the misc.img.. That has to be done in order to downgrade back to froyo

CD82

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
ok ive got super user now using terminal Emulator on the device itself. thats the step im at right now

now i will be entering dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 in terminal emulator on the device.

CD82

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
ok well im havin issues now it is saying that cant open fiel not a directory. its on the sd card im looking at it right now. i dont see how it takes people one hour to do this ive been working it long time.

the image is in the main directory of the sd card

id like to get this done within an hour or so an i need some help

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
ok well im havin issues now it is saying that cant open fiel not a directory. its on the sd card im looking at it right now. i dont see how it takes people one hour to do this ive been working it long time.

the image is in the main directory of the sd card

id like to get this done within an hour or so an i need some help

Just put the misc.img on the root of your card, open terminal emulator, type 'su' enter then type 'dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17' without quotes obviously.

You may also want to try a different mirror for the download, I helped someone else root and they got a bad download from one of the mirrors. That may be the issue

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

CD82

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
yes i know to type it in the terminal of the phone.

ive downloaded the img severl times and still same issue

the last 2 hours ive been fighting spyware over the network so i aint had time to jack with the phone.

ill try an download another img i suppose i got into hboot an the PG06IMG.zip is bad also

CD82

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
well if it isnt one thing it is a another
every file i download gets courrpted someway

im trying to check the md5 in adb shell and its tellin me the files dont exhist but they are in the sd card the of the phone in the main directory

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I take it your to the point of trying to root froyo?
Don't follow the guide you originally linked to root froyo.. Follow this sticky, it's much better laid out.. There's a typo for checking md5sum in the thread you linked to.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...htc-shift-faqs-how-tos-updated-3-28-11-a.html

Where VICODAN's thread says

Code:
md5sum /sdcard/hboot_orig.bin

Code:
md5sum /sdcard/hboot_eng.nb0

It should be

Code:
md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin

Code:
md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0

This is assuming you extracted the Shift-root.zip to your root directory, which should create the Shift folder

Last edited:

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, extracting it should have created a folder named shift. Inside that folder there should be 2 files, hboot_orig.bin and hboot_eng.nb0. Are both of those files inside the Shift folder?

Your in shell with super user permissions correct? Your seeing a # and not a $?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz