12-15-2011 09:25 AM
35 12
tools
    ive got an evo shift with 2.3 im trying to root but i cant seem to get super user. nor can i downgrade to 2.2 im always getting permission denied so im hoping i can get some help here

this is the tutorial im following STEP BY STEP HOWTO: root your phone, flash a rom (sense or AOSP), backup your phone - xda-developers

if i could get some help asap i would be thankful
    11-27-2011 02:36 AM
    so i guess there is no way to root the shift ??
    11-27-2011 11:41 AM
    so i guess there is no way to root the shift ??
    Yes, you can root your Shift... I recently had to ruu to 2.3.3 and take mine in for repairs. Got back home and had it rooted within the hour.

Steps you need to take:

1. Temp root using fr3vo
    2. Exploit the hboot with the misc.img
    3. Downgrade using the RUU zip or exe
    4. Root using the froyo method
    11-27-2011 01:44 PM
    and im getting permission denied for su
    11-27-2011 02:18 PM
    and im getting permission denied for su
    You need to be a little bit more specific... where are you in the process?
    11-27-2011 03:33 PM
    ok i got passed that

i tried using RUU and it would not work said it wouldnt upgrade. didnt give me an option to downgrade. so i tried using the PG06IMG.zip method

once i copied it to the sd card on the phone i typed adb reboot recovery and unplugged the device an the screen went blank. phone restarted an i got an image of a phone with a red triangle waited about 20 mins. nothing happend so i pulld battery and im back to square one still at 2.3.3
    11-27-2011 03:57 PM
    ok i got passed that

i tried using RUU and it would not work said it wouldnt upgrade. didnt give me an option to downgrade. so i tried using the PG06IMG.zip method

once i copied it to the sd card on the phone i typed adb reboot recovery and unplugged the device an the screen went blank. phone restarted an i got an image of a phone with a red triangle waited about 20 mins. nothing happend so i pulld battery and im back to square one still at 2.3.3
    After you temp root you have to push the misc.img, this will exploit the hboot and allow the downgrade. Once you've done that boot into hboot by powering down the device, then hold power and volume down until it boots into bootloader. If you put the PG06IMG.zip on the root of your SDcard, it should do a couple of checks then ask if you want to update. If you get into hboot and you have the zip on your sd card and your getting 'no image wrong image' and it never gives the option to update then your sd card needs to be formatted to fat32 (this will erase everything on the sd so be sure and back it up) Or you can run the RUU exe from your pc.

The red triangle that your talking about is the stock recovery, there's no need to try and go into recovery until after you have successfully rooted and flashed a custom recovery.

From what you described it sounds like you didn't successfully push the misc.img.. That has to be done in order to downgrade back to froyo
    11-27-2011 04:13 PM
    ok ive got super user now using terminal Emulator on the device itself. thats the step im at right now

now i will be entering dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 in terminal emulator on the device.
    11-27-2011 04:51 PM
    ok well im havin issues now it is saying that cant open fiel not a directory. its on the sd card im looking at it right now. i dont see how it takes people one hour to do this ive been working it long time.

the image is in the main directory of the sd card

id like to get this done within an hour or so an i need some help
    11-27-2011 05:26 PM
    ok well im havin issues now it is saying that cant open fiel not a directory. its on the sd card im looking at it right now. i dont see how it takes people one hour to do this ive been working it long time.

the image is in the main directory of the sd card

id like to get this done within an hour or so an i need some help
    Just put the misc.img on the root of your card, open terminal emulator, type 'su' enter then type 'dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17' without quotes obviously.

You may also want to try a different mirror for the download, I helped someone else root and they got a bad download from one of the mirrors. That may be the issue

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    11-27-2011 06:10 PM
    yes i know to type it in the terminal of the phone.

ive downloaded the img severl times and still same issue

the last 2 hours ive been fighting spyware over the network so i aint had time to jack with the phone.

ill try an download another img i suppose i got into hboot an the PG06IMG.zip is bad also
    11-27-2011 10:49 PM
    when using RUU its asking to upgrade the device to 1.17.651.1 would this be correct?
    11-28-2011 06:56 PM
    when using RUU its asking to upgrade the device to 1.17.651.1 would this be correct?
    Yup.. Then your off to root using the Froyo method
    11-28-2011 07:30 PM
    ok ill try that then what rom should i install when its time?
    11-28-2011 07:36 PM
    well if it isnt one thing it is a another
    every file i download gets courrpted someway

im trying to check the md5 in adb shell and its tellin me the files dont exhist but they are in the sd card the of the phone in the main directory
    11-28-2011 08:47 PM
    I take it your to the point of trying to root froyo?
    Don't follow the guide you originally linked to root froyo.. Follow this sticky, it's much better laid out.. There's a typo for checking md5sum in the thread you linked to.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...3-28-11-a.html

Where VICODAN's thread says

Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/hboot_orig.bin
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/hboot_eng.nb0

It should be

Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0
    This is assuming you extracted the Shift-root.zip to your root directory, which should create the Shift folder
    11-28-2011 09:30 PM
    and its telling me no such file or directory ive even tried another SD card
    11-28-2011 09:39 PM
    and its telling me no such file or directory ive even tried another SD card
    Did you extract the Shift-root.zip to the root of the SD card?
    11-28-2011 09:45 PM
    yes i did
    as ive said ive tried this even on a new sd card
    11-28-2011 09:47 PM
    Ok, extracting it should have created a folder named shift. Inside that folder there should be 2 files, hboot_orig.bin and hboot_eng.nb0. Are both of those files inside the Shift folder?

Your in shell with super user permissions correct? Your seeing a # and not a $?
    11-28-2011 09:52 PM
    dude im not complety a moron now i realize what happens when you extract files. and there is a shift older with those files in it and the are in the root of the SD card.
    and in my shell im seeing the # i have root to my device
    11-28-2011 09:54 PM
    dude im not complety a moron now i realize what happens when you extract files. and there is a shift older with those files in it and the are in the root of the SD card.
    and in my shell im seeing the # i have root to my device
    Dude...I didn't say you were complete moron, I have no idea what you have or have not done since your not really providing much info... If you don't want the help that's fine, cause that's all I'm trying to do is narrow down the problem and help you out...

Honestly this shouldn't be this difficult..
    CD82 likes this.
    11-28-2011 09:57 PM
    no i want the help
    so ive got my phone back to 2.2 trying to use this hboot
    ive extracted the files from Shift-root there is a folder name Shift
    in this folder there are two files named hboot_eng.nb0 and hboot_orig.bin
    ok this folder is in the sd card of my device my device is connected to the pc
    ive got root to the device im trying to check the md5sum of the files
    its telling me this
    # md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.nb0
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    md5sum: can't open '/sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin': No such file or directory
    11-28-2011 10:05 PM
    That's strange if you have the files still inside the Shift folder..

Try this

Code:
    Busybox md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    CD82 likes this.
    11-28-2011 10:15 PM
    this is what i get after i run that cmd
    # Busybox md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    Busybox md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    Busybox: not found

the files are even showing up on the phone when i go into the sd card
    11-28-2011 10:18 PM
35 12