need help rooting my evo 4G shift im on 2.3.3

supercole

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey i really would love to root my evo i just have no clue how with the new up date im worried ill mess things up by using an older way of rooting the phone. Could someone show me how to root my phone in a way that will work with 2.3.3? please :)

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The only way is to downgrade,but there is always temp root but It's gone after a reboot

Shifted to the extreme, cause I rawk Supreme

Welcome to Android Central Strapped! lol :p

Hey i really would love to root my evo i just have no clue how with the new up date im worried ill mess things up by using an older way of rooting the phone. Could someone show me how to root my phone in a way that will work with 2.3.3? please :)

Check this thread for a "how to" STEP BY STEP HOWTO: root your phone, flash a rom (sense or AOSP), backup your phone - xda-developers

pelikan3

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been talking about this with different folks on the Sprintusers.com site, and the argument is that, the Shift is a great phone, but came out at a bad time, where it didn't differentiate itself from some of the other more exciting phones that came out around it. That, coupled with the concept that users tend to gravitate towards, and write/hack for, the more exciting phones, means that there just hasn't been enough experienced attention to be devoted towards the Shift. So, apps such as "Gingerbreak" "Z4" and "Fr3vo" which are simple, push-button, turnkey solutions, won't even temp root a Shift running 2.3.3 and the writers are devoting no attention to the Shift, or similar devices, to make it work.

I'm not "nontechnical" but I consider it a major hoop jump to temp root by installing SDK files and tel-netting into my device, especially each time I reboot. If I had an app I could just activate each time I reboot, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I don't understand why no one who took the time to do it for other devices, will take the time to do it for the Shift. If anything, the Shift is actually better reviewed and benchmarks higher, than most of the devices of it's release time, including the EVO 4g. It deserves a LOT more attention than it gets and, if I knew how, I would have done it many months ago. But, I am willing to contribute to someone else if they will, and I'm sure many users feel the same.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been talking about this with different folks on the Sprintusers.com site, and the argument is that, the Shift is a great phone, but came out at a bad time, where it didn't differentiate itself from some of the other more exciting phones that came out around it. That, coupled with the concept that users tend to gravitate towards, and write/hack for, the more exciting phones, means that there just hasn't been enough experienced attention to be devoted towards the Shift. So, apps such as "Gingerbreak" "Z4" and "Fr3vo" which are simple, push-button, turnkey solutions, won't even temp root a Shift running 2.3.3 and the writers are devoting no attention to the Shift, or similar devices, to make it work.

I'm not "nontechnical" but I consider it a major hoop jump to temp root by installing SDK files and tel-netting into my device, especially each time I reboot. If I had an app I could just activate each time I reboot, it wouldn't be a big deal.

I don't understand why no one who took the time to do it for other devices, will take the time to do it for the Shift. If anything, the Shift is actually better reviewed and benchmarks higher, than most of the devices of it's release time, including the EVO 4g. It deserves a LOT more attention than it gets and, if I knew how, I would have done it many months ago. But, I am willing to contribute to someone else if they will, and I'm sure many users feel the same.

When the Shift first came out we had a lot more dev support. Since the 3D release, we lost a lot of those developers. Even then we didn't have a "one click" root until months after root exploit was found. That being said, there is still lots of development for the Shift. Evident by the fact that I'm running ICS with twrp 2.0 recovery.

The temp root is achieved on 2.3 by using the fr3vo exploit, it's just not able to be used as an apk.. People have tried but without success. However Indirect created a script that will temp root your phone by running program on your pc.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1277793

Part of the reason the Shift gets "no attention" for root methods, is because we already have one.. And it really isn't that difficult. Most phones (even the nexus, which is one of the easiest phones to root) requires you to have the Android SDK. Once that is set up its nothing more than pushing a couple of files.

Sent from my Ice Cream Speedy

pelikan3

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
When the Shift first came out we had a lot more dev support. Since the 3D release, we lost a lot of those developers. Even then we didn't have a "one click" root until months after root exploit was found. That being said, there is still lots of development for the Shift. Evident by the fact that I'm running ICS with twrp 2.0 recovery.

The temp root is achieved on 2.3 by using the fr3vo exploit, it's just not able to be used as an apk.. People have tried but without success. However Indirect created a script that will temp root your phone by running program on your pc.
[Updated!] Batch script to root the evo shift! Noob proof! - xda-developers

Part of the reason the Shift gets "no attention" for root methods, is because we already have one.. And it really isn't that difficult. Most phones (even the nexus, which is one of the easiest phones to root) requires you to have the Android SDK. Once that is set up its nothing more than pushing a couple of files.

Sent from my Ice Cream Speedy

I downloaded the fre3atlast zip. I know it says "noob proof" but, what do I do? I looked for some kind of instructions and found none.

Will it work with a MAC or do I have to run it from a PC?

Thanks!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI, that batch script won't give yo S-Off and when I tried it I couldn't even achieve temp root.

Check the link in my above post. It's a utility that supposedly gives s-off and root. Worth checking out since the Shift is listed as a supported device.

kevinwska

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried it and it is what I am referring to. It didn't give me S-Off and though it kept saying it pushed BusyBox and Superuser.apk I didn't get temp root.

Edit: Tried it again and no luck. It pushes all the correct stuff but when I check I'm not rooted and if I have the program try for S-Off I get to the boot screen and still have S-On

Last edited:

kevinwska

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Since we have already talked about HTC Super Tool in this thread I figured I'd pitch my question here.

After several tries I did get it to root. It is pushing the SuperUser app fine and busybox as well but most apps (such as Root Check or Titanium would say I'm not rooted). Finally after another battery pull I did get Root Check to fully say I have root and ask for permissions. Now here is the weird part, eventually I just lose root and I'm not rebooting the phone.

Initially I was losing root because when I'd do anything that needed to ask for SuperUser permission the SuperUser app would force close. After a reboot I noticed there was an update for SuperUser from the market so I just updated it and did the root process again. After that the root stuck for a little while longer and nothing fore closed but I still lost it.

My only idea on why this happens is because when you use the tool to root your SD card unmounts and when the card remounts (though I don't think it happen in this order each time) it does something to cause my shift to lose root.

Any ideas?

Holley2583

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have just moved over from Palm Pre minor...sadly. I am trying to understand all this with the time i have...I have not allowed the phone to update to 2.3.3, so I am still using Froyo at 2..2 because all i am seeing is people having to downgrade back to root their phones. I couldnt help but notice yet another ota update...2.7 something, which I cancelled. I only care to have the ability to free tether to my TouchPad from my shift...thats it. So if i have to stay with 2.2 until devs can come up with a semi easy way to root the upgraded OS, then so be it. I have the ability to temproot using visionary, then using a free tethering app. However, I'd like to just perm root with a new ROM then overclock the processor cuz this thing is crawling.
My question is; I have seen a dev. created application called shiftRR that is supposed to perm root and as clockworkmod for you just by pushing a button. However, I cannot get the program to open on my windows 7 machine. I have sync installed, sdk, abd with tools...maybe Im just not too sure where to go from here...any ideas. I'd love to have the latest and greatest ota update but it could take forever for anyone to do anything with it for us Shift users...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae