I have benn reading and reading and reading...Still Lost

amgqqq

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am going in circles trying to understand rooting. Everyhting I read sends me somewhere else and I am getting no clear picture. My only goal is to be able to wirelessly tether to my laptop or kindle fire and avoid paying hotspot fees. Please help this old girl!
Back in March I successfully followed Big D5's instructions for temp root using visionary; then used wireless tether for internet service on an IPad. This was done for a friend's Shift. Now I wish to do same for mine. When my friend accepted updates she lost her ability to temp root. I read enough to understand that the problem somehow lay with the new version of Android. So,I avoided accepting the updates Sprint sent me but perhaps a few sneaked through.
My Software info states that my android version is still 2.2, so I figured the method I used in March would still work for me now, but visionary isn't working. I click "temp root now' and the screen goes blank and ultimately it returns to the same visionary menu again. Also, it seems Sprint won't allow me to install wireless tether anymore.
I just want to be able to get on the internet when I travel to my mother's about once a month for a few days.
Arrgh.:confused:
Thanks in advance for any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome