Question for Rooted users

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi All.. Im looking at possibly rooting my phone but am wondering from people already rooted this: How easy is it to change the OSversion? Im seeing everything with ICS coming out and wondering if after root it would be easier to get these later versions that we basically can't have on stock systems.

Thanks ahead of time, and any other advice is welcome too. :)

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Next question that may or may not be answered.... Several posts I found from 3 to 4 months ago indicated that 2.3.3 cannot be downgraded from... Knowing what little (and likely dangerously little) I do about computers and programmers I can't really believe that no one had figured out how to downgrade this version... Any help? And yes Ive drudged the forums but not finding anything useful and factory reset doesn't reset system updates.

kevinwska

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The only way to root 2.3.3 is to downgrade back to Froyo.
After that you must root the phone using the established froyo method and then you can install any ROM you want. There are some user made roms that have ICS functions in them already. A full ICS rom will probably never run on the Shift.

Downgrading back to froyo with the RUU will wipe your phone in the process. So back up what you can while temp rooted (you have to temp root to do the downgrade) before moving on.

The easiest way to temp root and downgrade is here [Updated!] Batch script to root the evo shift! Noob proof! - xda-developers

Reactions: DvlsDarln

bignfuzzy

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I used the other method on xda-developers - STEP BY STEP HOWTO: root your phone, flash a rom (sense or AOSP), backup your phone - xda-developers Figured I'd learn more vs just running a script.

Worked well, took about two hours start to finish. It's like a new phone.

Be sure and back up your apps - especially the new voicemail app Sprint recently pushed .Once backed up it was straightforward to reinstall. Evidently the visual voicemail doesn't work/isn't included in CM7, having the app backed up made it easy.

Actually changing the "OSversion" by flashing CM7 was probably the simplest part of the process.

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips.. I will look at the links once I'm back at my computer and see how it goes... And thanks for the visual voicemail tip I do love that feature.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Read both links posted, I think Im going to go with the manual method after some more research to understand the processes a bit better. Thanks given to both of you for the help :) Will give feedback once I've finished.

Reactions: crump84

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Basic question, because Im looking through ROMs and finding a few that I think I would like... Is there a general amount of time it takes to flash a new ROM once you're rooted? Or does it vary quite a bit?

Looking at the Warm Synergy ROM or the SNS gingerbread ROM

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, just downgraded, rooted and flashed Warm Synergy... running Clockwork permission fix because I am getting Sense force close... see how this goes. I am having issue with Clockwork Recovery that may or may not be normal: when I try to boot into recovery or install ROM zip from SDCard from the app it does not load, I had to use ADB to reboot bootloader (easier for me than manual phone method) then load recovery boot. And looks like Im still having Sense errors, cant remove widgets/apps from home screens :/ guess I have to go through the forum and see if anyone else had the same issue.

Thanks for all the help with this :)

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, just downgraded, rooted and flashed Warm Synergy... running Clockwork permission fix because I am getting Sense force close... see how this goes. I am having issue with Clockwork Recovery that may or may not be normal: when I try to boot into recovery or install ROM zip from SDCard from the app it does not load, I had to use ADB to reboot bootloader (easier for me than manual phone method) then load recovery boot. And looks like Im still having Sense errors, cant remove widgets/apps from home screens :/ guess I have to go through the forum and see if anyone else had the same issue.

Thanks for all the help with this :)

Its been a while since I've used synergy but I don't remember getting a lot of errors. The best way to flash a ROM is through cwm and not ROM manager, that way you know everything is done properly. Also did you make sure to wipe data, cache, dalvik and format system and data before you flashed? Anytime flashing a new ROM make sure you wipe everything throughly.

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
ugh.. spam already. Anyways.. Crump- I did the wipe data and dalvik cache wipe that popped up during the Clockwork rom install sequence before the app interface stopped working, Now that I think of it the factory wipe is pry what I need because I don't think I did that after I initially tried to load SNS GB (had a bad file in the download somewhere). So.. I'll wipe and try it again.. or find a different ROM. Also what is the CWM you mentioned? I tried looking through app market but only clockwork I found was recovery and rom manager. I have the rom manager installed thats not completely working for me.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
ugh.. spam already. Anyways.. Crump- I did the wipe data and dalvik cache wipe that popped up during the Clockwork rom install sequence before the app interface stopped working, Now that I think of it the factory wipe is pry what I need because I don't think I did that after I initially tried to load SNS GB (had a bad file in the download somewhere). So.. I'll wipe and try it again.. or find a different ROM. Also what is the CWM you mentioned? I tried looking through app market but only clockwork I found was recovery and rom manager. I have the rom manager installed thats not completely working for me.

Yeah whenever flashing a fresh ROM you need to fully wipe. If not you will encounter all kinds of issues. When I say use cwm, i mean manually go into recovery instead of using the ROM manager app.. In my opinion you see less errors.
Check this thread for the proper process to flash a ROM. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1266885 it doesn't have to be done exactly like this but for a new root user it's the best way to make sure everything is wiped. Also whenever do a full wipe like that you will lose all your apps and setting, so you may want to back them up.

DvlsDarln

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link, I wiped and reinstalled last night and got everything working without issue so other than getting rid of some apps I don't want/need I'm sittin pretty. Thanks for all of your help and patience :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair