having problems flashing the recovery image

proactix

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Good afternoon,

I am having a problem with flashing the recovery image to my phone. I followed the guide to perm root and recovery, I am perm rooted, but when I try to flash the recovery image to my phone, this is were I am stuck. I boot into the bootloader, it goes through the process of looking for the image, but the image isn't being found. And yes, I have the pgo6img.zip on the root of my sdcard. I've tried this 2 or 3 times now, but it isn't taking for some reason.

Does anybody have any ideals on what is going on here? Any help would be appreciated.

Timothy

Last edited:

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sweet were glad you got it welcome to the fully rooted club now if we can get some custom ROMs going my world will be complete... :)

proactix

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it was sweet lol, I feel like a kid on xmas morning, I was excited :), yeah I am looking forward to playing around with the roms...

Timothy

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you were able to figure it out but, you wnna say how you did it...the steps you took? I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but this is where I'm stuck too...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did...it keeps telling me there's no image or wrong image file.

Xda says to install fastboot but there aren't any clear directions on how to use it with a PC or a Mac for that matter.

I can keep using visionary app or z4root until a a oneclick permroot is available but I hate the Sprint bloatware. Either way I'm keeping this phone...its definitely a beast!

I came from using the Optimus and even though its a good cheap little android phone, the Shift smokes it.

Any word on a oneclick method for permroot and recovery? I'm usually against having someone spoon feed this stuff to users but in my case (Mac user) I can understand how someone would get fustrated over this.

proactix

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
mike,

sorry I wasn't able to get back sooner, working 10 hour shifts kills me --hehe, just got home, and give me a bit and i will put up on how I did this....

Timothy

proactix

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
mfldmike,

Okay, I am awake now...and for me I couldn't flash the recovery onto my phone using the method of flashing from the sd card in my phone...I used the fastboot option...

1st of all, you need to check and see if you have fastboot.exe on your computer. It should be under C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools folder, if not look in the C:\AndroidSDK\tools folder. If it is there, then move it to the same folder as adb, which should be under C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools. (if you can't find fastboot, then you will have to download it, and move it to your C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools)

Then download the recovery image to a place where you can easily remember, in my case I downloaded it to the C: drive (C:\recovery.image) Plug in your phone via USB, start the sdk manager and then run cmd.exe, and cd to your adb folder (C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools), and then enter:

"adb reboot bootloader"

Check to see if fastboot works by:

"fastboot devices"

it should list your phone, and if so then flash with this code:

"fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery.img" , and then reboot and you should have recovery waiting for ya

I found this information at {GUIDE} Perm-rooting the HTC EVO Shift!!! Recovery added - Page 20 - xda-developers, you need to read pages 19-21 to get all the information, hope that this helps you out.

oops, I just read where you said that you were a Mac user, sorry I don't have have the slightest clue as to how to do it on a Mac...

Timothy

Last edited:

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol, yeah sometimes using a Mac isn't the best. I'm sure your instructions will help others. After much digging around I finally found a way that works really well with the Mac.

I'm on my phone so I will post the link once I get back to my desk.

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For anyone using a Mac, this guide:

[GUIDE] Using ADB & FASTBOOT in OSX / Mac - xda-developers

Helped out immensely, in fact it was this guide that allowed me to finally root and install recovery on this bad boy! Just follow the instructions exactly to set up ADB & FASTBOOT on the MAC.

A couple of things to remember if using the Mac...

When trying to use Adb Shell you have to use:

<Path to platform-tools>
[info - you have to use the "cd" command to "change directory."]
./adb shell