A fix coming for Sense rebooting bug?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Probably the most annoying problem we've experienced with the 2.3.3 upgrade has been the insistent Sense rebooting that accompanied the upgrade. I contacted HTC recently to see if they had any plans to fix it, especially since all of us seem to have it. They emailed me back to let me know that there is an OTA update available through Sprint. You can contact Sprint and have them push the update or wait until your device receives the update.

"When they push the update,you will then receive a notification on your device to install the update. Please note that the update will delete all data including third-party applications, text messages, emails,contacts that are not saved to the memory card will be deleted from the device and the phone will return to its factory fresh state. Before you update your device, make sure you have done the following:

Set aside approximately 20 minutes to allow the device to update
Connect the device to a charger
Ensure the battery is charged to at least 30%"

I haven't tried it yet. But I just wanted to inform other Shift owners about it. If you choose to have the update pushed to your device, please share your experience with the rest of us.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Probably the most annoying problem we've experienced with the 2.3.3 upgrade has been the insistent Sense rebooting that accompanied the upgrade. I contacted HTC recently to see if they had any plans to fix it, especially since all of us seem to have it. They emailed me back to let me know that there is an OTA update available through Sprint. You can contact Sprint and have them push the update or wait until your device receives the update.

"When they push the update,you will then receive a notification on your device to install the update. Please note that the update will delete all data including third-party applications, text messages, emails,contacts that are not saved to the memory card will be deleted from the device and the phone will return to its factory fresh state. Before you update your device, make sure you have done the following:

Set aside approximately 20 minutes to allow the device to update
Connect the device to a charger
Ensure the battery is charged to at least 30%"

I haven't tried it yet. But I just wanted to inform other Shift owners about it. If you choose to have the update pushed to your device, please share your experience with the rest of us.
Following up: I contacted Sprint and they haven't received any info on this update from HTC. The latest update that they're aware of is the 8/3/11 update (2.76.651.5) which fixed an MMS problem. We've all had access to that one for a month, and it didn't fix the Sense rebooting issue. They have no info about any later update. In the meantime, I'm delving deeper.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Following up: I contacted Sprint and they haven't received any info on this update from HTC. The latest update that they're aware of is the 8/3/11 update (2.76.651.5) which fixed an MMS problem. We've all had access to that one for a month, and it didn't fix the Sense rebooting issue. They have no info about any later update. In the meantime, I'm delving deeper.
I'm awaiting a definitive answer from HTC. (I know, lots of luck to me. lol) I'll post again when I hear back from them.

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts...finger pointing/blame game...

Blame.jpg

AKAndy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been running Go Launcher EX for most of the time since the 2.3.3 update, and don't have any launcher/restart issues. IMO, Go Launcher is much better than Sense anyhow. I realize that if you like Sense better, this doesn't help. If not, it may be something to try to see if you like it.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, here's what I got, via email, from HTC so far:
There are a number of reasons that your device could be having these issues. It can be caused by an application, task killers, or software issues. To determine which one, we will need to put the phone in safe mode. Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications.
Followed by an instruction to put the phone in Safe Mode.

If this doesn't work, they suggest a factory reset (which I've already tried). I've also called them. Their only solution, if the reset doesn't work, is to send in my phone so their techs can inspect it. I can't afford to be without it for 1-2 weeks. So that is not an option for me. I've noticed one thing during all this; no one will even mention the possibility that HTC Sense just might be the problem. Maybe it doesn't interact well with another app. But it looks like we may never know...at least not from any notice from HTC. So, it's either be incommunicado for a week or so, or live with the bug. It doesn't look like a fix is a possibility.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
They know what the problem is they just won't admit it.. They set the memory settings way to aggressive which is causing Sense to reload, this has been confirmed by rooted users who change the memory settings and it does away with the bug completely. The only 2 real fixes is wait for a software update from htc, which imo is unlikely to happen anytime soon, or once Gingerbread is rooted, root your phone and fix the problem yourself. You shouldn't have to hack your phone in order for it to work properly but the way htc is handling it, it seems like a better option than waiting on them.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
They know what the problem is they just won't admit it.. They set the memory settings way to aggressive which is causing Sense to reload, this has been confirmed by rooted users who change the memory settings and it does away with the bug completely. The only 2 real fixes is wait for a software update from htc, which imo is unlikely to happen anytime soon, or once Gingerbread is rooted, root your phone and fix the problem yourself. You shouldn't have to hack your phone in order for it to work properly but the way htc is handling it, it seems like a better option than waiting on them.

You're absolutely right. We should never have to hack our phones for them to work properly. What is it with these manufacturers that they lack the integrity to own up to problems and fix them? I'm very disappointed with HTC over this. In the past, they've been pretty good about updates, etc. The "big boy" thing to do is admit the problem and tell us it's being addressed. I'm far from naive. I'm just sayin'. HTC, your rep has taken a huge dive.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It's a shame that HTC seems to do so well with updates/upgrades, but dropped the ball on this one. It's almost like the Shift is just a third class citizen in their lineup and they don't have time to bother with acknowledging/fixing this issue. If they don't think this is a major issue for us, they're very wrong. The Shift is a great device, which is why we bought them. But what good is a great device if you're stymied by the manufacturer when you need help. Shame on you, indeed, HTC. (I figured a "shame on you" is a little better than the ultimate "a pox on your house," since I actually like HTC devices. :p)

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The Shift is just a red headed step child, that's why we're STILL waiting for HTC to release the kernel source code.

Dwayne_K

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have been running Go Launcher EX for most of the time since the 2.3.3 update, and don't have any launcher/restart issues. IMO, Go Launcher is much better than Sense anyhow. I realize that if you like Sense better, this doesn't help. If not, it may be something to try to see if you like it.

Just as AKAndy said the Go Launcher EX is the way to go, I have been using it insted of the very crappy no Sense and it also has a bunch of great features.

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree that Go Launcher EX is a solution. That's what I've done and now I don't need to deal with the Sense reboot problem. And I find it an improvement over the Sense launcher anyway.

I think that apps are great for making our phones better. But still, we shouldn't need an app to make the phone, simply, work.

As I said before, shame on HTC for not openly addressing and fixing a bug that makes me have to use an app just to get the phone to work.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree that Go Launcher EX is a solution. That's what I've done and now I don't need to deal with the Sense reboot problem. And I find it an improvement over the Sense launcher anyway.

I think that apps are great for making our phones better. But still, we shouldn't need an app to make the phone, simply, work.

As I said before, shame on HTC for not openly addressing and fixing a bug that makes me have to use an app just to get the phone to work.
I agree with those who tout GO Launcher EX. It's a great app! I finally gave up on Sense and downloaded (along with several of its great themes, including a Jack Sparrow one) and haven't had a reboot issue at all. It's very flexible and looks great! Thanks, y'all. I'm a convert, and I highly recommend GO Launcher EX. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34