EVO Shift Software update from HTC pushed 9/10/11

baykes

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC pushed a software update to me yesterday.

At the very least, it seems to fix the issue with Sense constantly reloading because of the overly aggressive memory management.

I was wondering if anybody else knew any more about this update or has seen it.

Looking around the web i could only come up with links and forums about the one from early august.

ginglish

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Please do Menu/settings/about phone/software information/ and tell us what version number you have under "software Number"

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
HTC pushed a software update to me yesterday.

At the very least, it seems to fix the issue with Sense constantly reloading because of the overly aggressive memory management.

I was wondering if anybody else knew any more about this update or has seen it.

Looking around the web i could only come up with links and forums about the one from early august.

According to Sprint & HTC, the last update was 8/4/11. When I installed it, the Sense reboot issue seemed to go away...for about a day. Then it returned. That software number for that is 2.76.651.5. If the reboot issue returns for you, I suggest switching to GO Launcher EX. It solved the problem completely and offers much more than Sense. I installed it a few days ago and absolutely love it. And...it's free! :D

baykes

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys, you're right, the August release was the latest one, and the rebooting did come back.

I had a slow moment. :-\
I just switched to Sprint and got my Shift last week...it for some reason didnt occur to me that a phone thats been sitting on a warehouse shelf waiting to be bought naturally would not have been updated until it was actual put to use by said buyer.

graciously taking the L for this one.

Im frustrated that Sliders cant get the proper love though, gah.
I couldnt take my Droid 2 anymore because the keyboard was horrible and Blur was SUUUUUUPER Slow and laggy, i couldnt even run a live wall paper without my phone (for all intents and purposes) becoming a brick.

HTC solves both of those problems beautifully (and they happen to be my favorite anyway, I only switched to the D2 from my Incredible because i wanted a keyboard) with the Shift.

But where the D2 has multiple Gigs of sys mem, the Shift has dramatically less and ON top of that, a far too aggressive memory management algorithm.

*sigh* I'm kinda attached to Sense too.
I've tried a bunch of other launchers.
launcher 7, which was great, but completely eradicated the ability to have widgets (which im also attached to)
ADW and LauncherPro, which both have different things i like but also are each missing things...its like they are the near perfect launcher split into two different pieces and you can only choose one half.
Spark, Go, etc...
but none seem as well put together or stylish as Sense to me. and sometimes they are buggy or dont play well with other apps i have installed.

hopefully somebody gets this right and Im not forced to join the touch screen only generation...

Last edited:

joshgee

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
My evo only got the 8/4/11 update. But my sister's got this update last night and it causes sense to crash more than anything. She also just got her phone a week ago and it has a completely different launcher... It looks like sense but it's way more square-ish.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma