Installed apps question

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I need to do a hard reset on my phone. I have several apps that I've installed. Some I've purchased, and some I've downloaded.

After I do the hard reset, I want to make sure I get them all back, reinstall them. Is the app list stored within my account on Android Market, or on the phone? I'm most concerned with the ones that I purchased. I want to make sure that I am still able to reinstall them.

Thanks.

Daryl

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I have an additional question.

I've been reviewing all of the apps that I have installed. I've been able to identify at least one that I purchased that does not show up in my list of apps. Why not? This is something that I don't want to loose. How do i ensure that I don't loose it when I do a hard reset?

Thanks.

Daryl

Brewz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
From what I have found when I did a reset is youwill have to go back to the market and redownload all the apps so you might want to make a list of the apps before the reset. The purchased apps will say purchased instead of (Free or "insert price here").

Also not only have I done a hard reset i upgraded my phone and I see a purchased app from my old android as purchased for this phone so I assume it follows your account.

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Brewz,

Thank you, that answered my questions. I suspected that, but I wanted to verify before I lost everything.

Thanks.

Daryl

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
All of your purchased apps are tied to your Market account. After the reset you can open the Market app and choose My Apps from the menu to see all of the purchased apps to reinstall them. Free apps are a little harder as they will not show up in that list after a reset. There is an app called "App List Backup" link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.punsoftware.backup&feature=search_result that creates a list of all of the apps on your phone and stores it on the SD Card. As long as you do not format your SD card then you can reinstall App List Backup right after the reset and use it to add back all of your apps. One thing to watch out for is if you have apps from places other than the Android Market (like the Amazon Appstore) it also records those (paid or free with no indicator as to where they came from) so you want to watch that you install each app from the correct market.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In addition to App List Backup, you can use MyBackup Pro (available on the Market for a small fee) to backup Applications, Photos, Contacts, Call log, Browser Bookmarks, SMS (text messages), MMS, Calendar, System Settings, Home Screens (including shortcut positions), Alarms, Dictionary, Music Playlists, and more, to your SD card. Then you can restore them at any time. As Davethebrewer said, just don't format your SD card. This app has already saved my butt once, which made it waaaaay more valuable than the small cost of the app. There's a free limited trial version available, too. So check it out.

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Let us know if MyBackup Pro does the trick for you.

I finally had a chance to do the hard reset of my phone over the weekend. Actually, I had to do it twice. The first time, was not very successful.

Most items were restored using MyBackup, but a few things did not come back correctly. The biggest being my contacts.

After the first hard reset, I did a restore, selecting all apps and all data. It looked like everything was being restored, but after a while I figured out that only the first item on the list got restored, and I started restoring apps one at a time. (Same for the data). But no mater how hard I tried, I just could not get the contacts to recover. MyBackup said that it restored them, but I could not find them in the contact list. I couldn't even sync them from my desktop.

After a day or so of working with it, I decided to do a hard reset again and this time I only restored the one app that I was most concerned about. I bought an app off the marketplace, but it doesn't show up in myapp's on the marketplace. When I tried to recover it using MyBackup, I was prompted to change a setting that would allow installation from an untrusted source. Perhaps that is why I don't see it in the apps list. I know that I bought it from the marketplace, but perhaps it was independently downloaded and installed. I don't remember for sure.

Anyway to make a long story short. The reason for doing the hard reset resolved the issue that I was having, and I have everything back to the way that it was without loosing anything. Thank you for every ones help and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

Daryl

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma