Texting Issue - Intermittant

muellers

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, first time post, but longtime Android user. I have the EVO 4G and the EVO 3D.

I converted my wife from her blackberry to the EVO Shift 4G. I took her contacts on BB and sent them to her Google account for the trip over to Android. Pretty much immediately, she has a texting issue.

The problem is this:

She can text sometimes to a contact and other times she receives an error. Even when she replies this happens. It's kinda a crapshoot whether the text will get there or get the following error:

'9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits. Please resend using 10 digit number or valid short code. Msg 2114'

All contacts have: xxx-xxx-xxxx, so the numbers are correct. And the texts go through probably 60% of the time. It's a real pain for her considering her Blackberry worked every time (and, well, every other phone works every time) :)

so - I want to solve this for her, but not sure where to start. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Note that ANY contact on her phone might do this, but some more often than others. All numbers are entered correctly as far as I can tell and none have less than 10 digits.

Thanks in advance!

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I found this in the sprint forums and it sure saved me:

After several calls with Sprint, resets, store visits, etc I decided to do a step by step elimination on my own, and I have not had the problem since then (several days). First off, I think there may be more than one issue going on; some people have trouble with the messaging app converting a 10-digit number to a 7-digit before sending it, and others receive the 9230 error message after receipt of every voicemail msg, without so much as having touched the phone. Also, some (like me) have 2-4 phones on Sprint (3 HTC Evo, one Samsung) but only one of them has the problem. Like for many others, the problem started for me around early October. I began my elimination process by backing up data then wiping the phone to factory reset (it may now no longer be necessary for you to do this). After wiping it, I started by going through google contacts on my computer and made sure every entry had a 10-digit number then I synced them back to the phone, after which I called my number from my husband's phone & left a voicemail without getting an error message. Because this was just the beginning of my process of elimination and may not have been my issue at all, I added back my apps, one by one, (from Market not backup). After loading each single app, I called my phone and left a voicemail then checked the phone. It went on like this without a hitch until I loaded Seek Droid back on; I left the usual voicemail and received the 9230 error message. I uninstalled the app, left another voicemail, no error message. Rather than stop there, I reloaded the remaining apps, one by one, calling my phone after each install. No other problems. As a last step I restored from backup the data to programs such as Simi Folder, Noteeverything, etc. calling my phone after each one, and everything has been fine. I have not yet again reinstalled Seek Droid. Because I had added no new apps before this problem started, it didn't occur to me any of them could be the cause. Afterward it clicked with me that, although I have had Seek Droid a long time on this phone without incident, it did have a couple of updates around the time this issue started and that Seek Droid is the only app I have with authority to send its own text messages. This was a very long process which should tell you something about my frustration level with this problem. I would suggest that you not wipe your phone yet but first wipe only your contacts, then check each one on your computer gmail account or other contacts program, sync them back onto the phone then call your phone and leave a voice msg. For some, who don't have any apps with permission to send its own text msgs, this may fix it. If not, I suggest you then delete any apps you have with permission to send text msgs, such as Seek Droid, along with their pertinent stored data. Try calling your phone and leaving a text msg; if everything is ok, add it (or them) back on one by one and call your phone leaving a voicemail after each install.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois