Read this before you hate on the Evo Shift

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So i hear alot of negative talk towards the evo shift and i frankly do not get why.
Ill list why this is not a middle of the road phone by any means, but a screaming fast 4G beast.

It has a next generation snapdragon clocked at 800mhz, the same as the G2. This processor at 800mhz, is faster than most phones out right now clocked at 1Ghz. ITS SECOND GENERATION. If you dont know what that means, then your negative comments towards it are ignorant.

It has an AWESOME, HTC keyboard thats a slider. No G2 hinge.
It has a 3'6 screen and a small form factor, great for people with smaller hands that find the Epic/Evo too big. Besides, when you have a keyboard, why the need for a huge screen?

So, it has no FFC. Ive used the one on my evo about.... 3 times. 0 of those times were important.

This phone gets pretty good battery due to it being clocked at 800mhz, and the fact that its 2nd gen processor. Let me say it again, SECOND GEN.
The development/rooting community will be great, just like on all other HTC made phones.

So thats my take on it so far, i may be getting one of these if i have to take my Evo in to get it fixed again.

Last edited:

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I love the idea of the EVO Shift 4G however I dont like the fact that the OG EVO (If I can call it that already) has no indication that it will be updated to the newest HTC Sense

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with your take on the Shift. I think it will be an amazing phone. Having owned a G2, if the keyboard is the same it's the best keyboard I've ever used on any phone, ever.

The only reason I didn't keep the G2 (this will go for you EVO owners, too) is the lack of a FFC. With all the rumors that gtalk will get a video chat upgrade I wanted a FFC so I went with the MT4G. If the Shift has a FFC Sprint has a new unofficial flagship phone.

And the Z hinge is awesome. Don't hate. :p

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree with your take on the Shift. I think it will be an amazing phone. Having owned a G2, if the keyboard is the same it's the best keyboard I've ever used on any phone, ever.

The only reason I didn't keep the G2 (this will go for you EVO owners, too) is the lack of a FFC. With all the rumors that gtalk will get a video chat upgrade I wanted a FFC so I went with the MT4G. If the Shift has a FFC Sprint has a new unofficial flagship phone.

And the Z hinge is awesome. Don't hate. :p

Yeah I think that Front Facing Camera's are something that will change the game slightly. As video calling becomes more mainstream how will the carriers deal with the network strain. I think it is long overdue for a huge network update. The technology is there and all we need to do is increase the awareness because its either start fixing the network now or wait until the huge strain on the network causes you to rethink your entire plan.

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I am torn because i am an OG EVO owner and love it to death. But i feel that Sprint HAS to upgrade it because it is still their Flagship 4G phone and is still selling strong.

Protagonist

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
It does NOT have the G2 "Z" hinge that gets hated on from all angles so that should be nice. I for one like the Z hinge though haha.

The Front facing camera is still up in the air, some say the dots on the front are light/proximity sensors, others say its a FFC. Time will tell on this one, i for one hardly use my FFC as nobody really has them yet. So no biggie.

Do you have a source for the hinge part? That is something I am concerned about personally.

Protagonist

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I am torn because i am an OG EVO owner and love it to death. But i feel that Sprint HAS to upgrade it because it is still their Flagship 4G phone and is still selling strong.

Now that the Thunderbolt has been revealed for VZW Sprint NEEDS to at least get a teaser for the "Evo2" out there. The thunderbolt makes the Evo look old, plain and simple.

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Thunderbolt has been revealed for VZW Sprint NEEDS to at least get a teaser for the "Evo2" out there. The thunderbolt makes the Evo look old, plain and simple.

I agree with you that the Thunderbolt is a great looking phone. Alot of phones have the Chrome Trim bezels and stuff. But do you want a phone that looks just like the rest. I think if HTC and Sprint play it right and sit back and see what CES brings and then design the EVO2 it could pay off greatly as far as a design aspect goes.

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
3.6-3.7 inch screen is OK, cause if you're using the physical keyboard, u still see the whole screen. if there was a slider with a 4.3 inch screen, that would be ridiculous and awesome. someday...

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a very interesting device. I'm waiting for a prize fight between the EVO and the Shift - before I even start thinking about another phone other than my EVO.

I love the screen size of my HTC EVO, just like they say - once you experience something awesome .... it's hard to let it go. :)

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The shift sounds like a worthy addition to the EVO line but for me, I don't like landscape keyboards (I dont ever use my EVO in landscape when typing) so given the processor would be the only other real incentive but in reality incremental as an update to the EVO, I'll just stick with my EVO for the time being.

Protagonist

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Look at the keyboard of the merge(slider) compared to the z hinge on the g2. You can tell its a slider.

I had hoped that was true, as I know the slider on the merge is much better and it would make sense for the CDMA variants to share the same design. But I am not seeing it in the pictures I have googled up. Do you have a pic handy that illustrates the difference?

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had hoped that was true, as I know the slider on the merge is much better and it would make sense for the CDMA variants to share the same design. But I am not seeing it in the pictures I have googled up. Do you have a pic handy that illustrates the difference?

Merge-slider
images

G2 (Zhinge)
images

Evo Shift-slider
images

Reactions: MR.MICHIGAN

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My Only issue is the Smaller Screen...

and the fact I dont want to run the RUU X_X Im the only OG Evo owner left... Everyone seems to have Warrantied theirs

I had a 0002, but i got a brand new 0003. How could i pass that up?
And yeah 3'6inches.. :/

Heres the back, where you can see from the rails its a slider too.
images

Reactions: MR.MICHIGAN

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance