Read this before you hate on the Evo Shift

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Expect a case won't add that much thickness as a slider would. Not that it matters as ill be keeping my existing evo.

- sent from Tapatalk Pro on my HTC EVO 4G

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
fact: the g2 is exactly .06" thicker than the evo. meanwhile it is almost a quarter of an inch thinner from side to side. that more than makes up for it. the argument that the keyboard will add bulk is pointless. it won't.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The G2 was way more pocketable than the EVO. How do I know? I tried them one right after the other. Some people (like me) prefer a physical keyboard, but it's not top priority for everyone (again, the FFC was a more important feature for me).

The minimal screen size difference could be from the ridiculous looking capacitive buttons. They look great on the OG evo, not so much on the Shift IMHO.

And Chris do some research. EVO thickness = .47 inches. G2 thickness = .53 inches. That a difference of 1.5mm. MOST cases will add that much thickness to the EVO. The only ones I've seen that don't are the barely there type cases. Even the mighty Innocase II adds a millimeter (front and back) which would make it thicker than the G2.

And if the Shift has anywhere near the same build quality as the G2 it will FEEL higher-end than the OG evo. How do I know? I had them side by side for a week!

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
This phone has everything going for it...except the sexy style of the EVO. The EVO is a sexy phone. The G2 is as well. This phone has a very cheap look. It doesnt have that refined, polished look that the others seem to have. Maybe thats just a premature judgement since nobody has actually seen the phone in hand. But based on the pictures...I wont be getting it. The look of a phone is VERY important to me. Maybe it shouldnt be but it is, lol.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Droid King

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think that Front Facing Camera's are something that will change the game slightly. As video calling becomes more mainstream how will the carriers deal with the network strain. I think it is long overdue for a huge network update. The technology is there and all we need to do is increase the awareness because its either start fixing the network now or wait until the huge strain on the network causes you to rethink your entire plan.

iRead On This One Site Talkin' About Sprint Upgrading Their Network To LTE & WiMAX, Eventualy Dropping iDEN, And Addin' Push-To-Talk On Their EV-DO Network. iWould Give You The Link To It But Deleted My Bookmark. : [

Droid King

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
This phone has everything going for it...except the sexy style of the EVO. The EVO is a sexy phone. The G2 is as well. This phone has a very cheap look. It doesnt have that refined, polished look that the others seem to have. Maybe thats just a premature judgement since nobody has actually seen the phone in hand. But based on the pictures...I wont be getting it. The look of a phone is VERY important to me. Maybe it shouldnt be but it is, lol.

I'd Have To Agree. iWant A Phone That Not Only Sexy, But Performs Just As Well As It Looks.

dougsyo

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The Shift reminds me a lot of the Tilt2 aka Touch Pro 2 (the best WM6 phone made, and a favorite in spite of its resistive screen and dead-end OS - I traded it in for the Evo). I think the Shift will compete well with the Epic, even with the slightly smaller and non-AMOLED screen. I've heard mixed reports on Samsung phones, but I've only used them with WM6.

I don't know about the G2 hinge, but I liked the tilting feature on my TP2. I would be disappointed if it didn't have an FFC, but in reality, I haven't used it on my Evo.

I'm not going to replace it before 6/4/2011. Who knows what will be out by then?

Doug

Last edited:

Dark Phoenix

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
You know I'm really considering getting this, the things stopping me is if the CES reveals a dual core phone for Sprint (unlikely but still). Or that is a vertical slider as said by a few sources (I despise vertical sliders). Other than that I would return my evo and get that.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It makes no sense for Evo owners to buy the Shift. If I didn't have an Evo then yes the Shift would be a good choice, but by the time upgrade comes in June for most original Evo owners something bigger and beter will be out.

As far as screen size goes, I personally couldn't go back to a smaller screen after having the Evo. Not because of the typing, but playing games and watching videos is much nicer on the bigger screen.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It has a FFC :D

Please point me to the FFC. I can't find it. And on the AC front page they list the main specs and don't mention a FFC. Seems like it's important enough to warrant a mention. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I still haven't seen it confirmed by anybody.

(I don't consider that little dot next to the earpiece evidence of a FFC)

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Please point me to the FFC. I can't find it. And on the AC front page they list the main specs and don't mention a FFC. Seems like it's important enough to warrant a mention. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I still haven't seen it confirmed by anybody.

the link says it has dual cameras, but the link also says dual flash, which it doesnt have. :p
and the screen has Qik on it. strange, huh?

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This may be the phone that make my wife jump ship from her bb tour. The only gripe she has about my evo is the lack of a keyboard. I tell her all the time that she can get used to it. But with the shift, she dont have to be without one.

Gust30

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I really hope that the little dot next to the earpiece is a FFC. The newest pic looks great!!! New article on AndroidCentral

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Click on the source link for the story on the front page. Says FFC, and it has Qik in the picture :)